ID Help Please - Guns Sights??

Now that the snow is flying in Montana I thought I would reach out to the relic experts out there and see if you all can ID these items. On first glance they look like leaf style gun sights, but there are no graduations and most sights I could find online are iron. Also, I would think gun sights would be a rare find and these items have been turning up fairly regularly lately. They were all found at different sites dating from the late 1800s over the last two years. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Happy Holidays!

IMG_0281_cropped.jpg

IMG_0283_cropped.jpg

• Like 3

I would have thought gun sites as well, but I'm not a gun expert.  Pretty sure I have seen brass sites on some rifles.  Let us know if you get the final verdict.

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,157902

88junior on the Dankowski site identified these as matrices for a linotype machine. They are essentially molds, each representing a single letter that are assembled by the machine into lines of the desired words. Molten lead is then used to form the type from the matrices (called a "slug"). The type setter can then assemble whole lines of type at a time instead of each individual letter one at a time. The funny thing is that my grandfather operated a linotype machine for a living from the 1930s until he retired in the 1970s. He even made me a slug with my name on it when I was a kid. I did find letters in the recessed areas. Thank you to those who took a look or responded.

IMG_0285.thumb.JPG.febb896eed027a0e4f12a21650505fca.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Heck yea...we have a genuine correct ID.  It is so nice to have today's resources out there to help us find out what do dads we dig up.  Now I know the couple I have dug are not rifle sights.  Thanks for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...