Nickel Signals... Ratio To Buffs, V's And Gold

Like they say, if you want to hit the target you have to aim for it! I basically did the same thing even though my pull tab numbers went up, more nickels came out.

• Like 3

Nice job. The numbers they quote really depends on how old the site is. If it does not go back to the buffalo era (say the 50's taking into account and estimating how long buffalos stayed in circulation), then your numbers would reflect that. If you are hunting an area that was not hit before and went back to the 1900's, then your V and Buff count would definitely go up. Gold is a different story. It can be anywhere, from any era. In a hammered park, that ratio probably reflects the fact that a lot of buffalo nickels have been dug over the years and only a few may turn up from time to time. My ratio on the beach is lower than 200-250. But concentrating on a certain block of numbers can show you just how important it is to think outside the box.  Lucky you tried that. That ring is a beauty!

• Like 1

That’s a crazy number of Jefferson’s!  The parks I hunt have very little clad so my New/Old nickel ration is very   very low. The old Nickels are deep so I’m guessing a lot of guys miss them. 

Curious how often your Nickels come in at 11 and 14.  My Nickels hang so tight to 12-13 I finally stopped digging the 11s and 14s unless it’s real deep. Got tired of digging beaver tails.

I really like your gold ring. Looks pretty old. The Buddha is cool too! 

Bryan

• Like 3

Very nice 5 Cent Tip and well worth the reading.  The gold ring is a stunner too.  Hopefully you enjoy more older nickels next year.  Thanks for sharing.

On 12/24/2018 at 12:41 PM, fredmason said:

no pulltabs?

Excellent finds, especially the gold!

fred

Yep.... I get those too. But not any more than usual. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 1:52 PM, groundscanner said:

Fantastic!  What mode were you primarily using?

I primarily use 3 modes all site dependent or just to switch it around a bit. I like Park/Field 2 the most with settings at 20-22 sens, 0 IB, 3 recovery, multi freq and mostly in AM. I disc out 1-10 and 15-17 if extremely trashy site. I always leave iron open. 

• Like 2