Nickel Signals... Ratio To Buffs, V's And Gold

On 12/24/2018 at 2:57 PM, Cabin Fever said:

That’s a crazy number of Jefferson’s!  The parks I hunt have very little clad so my New/Old nickel ration is very   very low. The old Nickels are deep so I’m guessing a lot of guys miss them. 

Curious how often your Nickels come in at 11 and 14.  My Nickels hang so tight to 12-13 I finally stopped digging the 11s and 14s unless it’s real deep. Got tired of digging beaver tails.

I really like your gold ring. Looks pretty old. The Buddha is cool too! 

Bryan

My nickels come in a range of 11 - 14 with 12/13 the dominant number. Out of all those nickels, maybe a few came in at 11/12 or 13/14, but the majority toggled back and forth within those 4 numbers but 12/13 was the steady and consistent numbers. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Happa54 said:

My nickels come in a range of 11 - 14 with 12/13 the dominant number. Out of all those nickels, maybe a few came in at 11/12 or 13/14, but the majority toggled back and forth within those 4 numbers but 12/13 was the steady and consistent numbers.

That's exactly how I hunt.  More/less if half my numbers are 12-13 I'm going to dig.  In my soil I almost never get any 10's or 15's on nickels, but I won't say "never".  The deeper the nickel the less 'pure' the TID.  If you want deep (and old) you better be flexible.  My deeper nickels (and thus most of my old nickels) will pretty much always give a few 11's or 14's at a minimum.

• Like 2

I agree with you on being flexible on ID numbers to get deep and old GB_Amateur.

The reason I asked about the Nickel IDs is because I have yet to find one that strays outside of 12-13 on My Equinox.  I had one flash 11 on me but did not repeat again before I dug it. Even Nickels at 9-10” have held their ID.  Every time my 12-13s are accompanied by any other number, it turns out not being a nickel.  Most are beaver tail pull tabs or parts of them. From my detecting experience, it doesn’t make sense to be that tight.  I have found a lot of Buffalo and V-Nickels with my Nox this year. Finally found my first Shield Nickel too. It definitely hits them deeper then my FBS Detectors did.

Bryan

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Every time my 12-13s are accompanied by any other number, it turns out not being a nickel.

This is interesting and it isn't the first time this topic has arisen on this forum.  When I read it previously I figured I was doing something suboptimally, such as not centering the coil on the target.  But since then I've concentrated more on that and I still get 11's and 14's on some nickels.  I also sometimes get iron grunts which is unusual for targets in this range, nickels or otherwise.  My rough estimate is that nickels within about 3 inches of the surface do give the tight 12-13 but deeper than that they start to spread out a bit.

Assuming I am getting the coil centered then a few other possibilities for the TID spread I'm experiencing are:  nearby target interference,  different detector settings, lower signal to noise (where 'signal' means the nickel target and 'noise' is the ground), and even variations in detector performance.  (Blaming the detector is too often a spurious excuse, IMO, so I tend to downplay that possibility until all others are eliminated.  OTOH, it could be an issue, I suppose.)

FWIW, the majority (over 90%) of my Equinox coin hunting to date has been in Park 1 with ground grab and five custom tones, but I have varied some of the parameters such as recovery speed (sometimes 6, sometimes 5), and iron bias (anywhere from 0 to 4).  I have yet to notice any tightening/broadening of the nickel TID signals, however, regardless of settings.

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

This is interesting and it isn't the first time this topic has arisen on this forum.  When I read it previously I figured I was doing something suboptimally, such as not centering the coil on the target.  But since then I've concentrated more on that and I still get 11's and 14's on some nickels.  I also sometimes get iron grunts which is unusual for targets in this range, nickels or otherwise.  My rough estimate is that nickels within about 3 inches of the surface do give the tight 12-13 but deeper than that they start to spread out a bit.

Assuming I am getting the coil centered then a few other possibilities for the TID spread I'm experiencing are:  nearby target interference,  different detector settings, lower signal to noise (where 'signal' means the nickel target and 'noise' is the ground), and even variations in detector performance.  (Blaming the detector is too often a spurious excuse, IMO, so I tend to downplay that possibility until all others are eliminated.  OTOH, it could be an issue, I suppose.)

FWIW, the majority (over 90%) of my Equinox coin hunting to date has been in Park 1 with ground grab and five custom tones, but I have varied some of the parameters such as recovery speed (sometimes 6, sometimes 5), and iron bias (anywhere from 0 to 4).  I have yet to notice any tightening/broadening of the nickel TID signals, however, regardless of settings.

Yes GB.... this is why I focus on the range of 11 to 14. The niks can come anywhere between those numbers both deep and shallow. If I have a deep 14 or 11 signal, I'm digging. 12/13 signals show up the most but you have to work in that 11 to 14 range nonetheless. By the way, I get a lot of old spoons too in that range. Yesterday, I dug a large One Shilling at a bouncy 14. This TID range has given me some good finds aside from the silvers and wheats.  

• Like 1

Going back and checking all the gold rings I've found in the past 20 years I've fabricated my own Equinox program to attach the majority of the rings in one group of ID/audio signatures.  When I'm hunting for gold I never pass up a nickel because the majority of rings I've found read 12-13 on my Equinox.  I love that pile of nickels.  The Equinox is a super nickel finder to say the least.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, I read what you guys said about checking out signal in the 11 - 14 range. Last weekend was my first time out this year and our club went to a local “hunted out” park. My first coin was a solid 12 and down about 7 inches. Remembering what you guys said I dug it up and sure enough it was buffalo nickel with no date of course. The guy next to me was also using a 800 Enquinox got a solid 13 hit and dug up a V nickel. Thanks to guys I was paying more attention to the 11-14 range. As always that were those darn tips off of the old ring pull tabs to deal with. 

8 hours ago, Cptbill said:

As always that were those darn tips off of the old ring pull tabs to deal with.

Congrats on finding the Buffy.  I predict many more in your future.   ?

As far as ...those darn tips off of the old ring pull tabs...(nickname ''beavertail'), rest assured that the detectorists before you who left those in the ground also left a lot of nickels and some gold jewelry as well.

• Like 1

11-14 is about right.  Because of differences in ground and whatever else is nearby, impossible to count on exact numbers for any nickel, at least where I am.  Also, while I agree the Nox is good for seeing nickels, it is even better at finding pulltabs--and none of the tricks used have helped much with that...