Help Selling Gold Jewelry

I need some ideas on getting a fair price for gold jewelry.  My sister and I inherited gold and diamond jewelry that appraises between 30 and 40k.  The local jeweler who actually crafted many of the pieces is offering sub-wholesale 11k, according to him most of the gold will be scraped, diamonds reset in new jewelry or used for repairs.  Many of the gold chains are in pristine shape so I doubt he'll actually scrap them.  I'm not keen on screwing around with a bunch of "tire kickers" and scammers on Ebay.  What kind of options are out there? 

Several years ago I had some old (meaning previous relationship type) rings and a few half dollars that were 40% silver. After Googling and finding some melt value calculators and visiting jewelers and pawn shops, it turned out I got the closest to melt value by going to the pawn shop and selling out right. One of the rings had an amethyst and 2 very small diamonds for which I received nothing but the good riddance of the memory but the 18k gold was worth some money. I had to keep in mind that whoever I went to needed some room to make some cash on their end and also appraisals are often inflated for insurance purposes but I would think you should see at least 50% of appraisal if not more. Good luck.

Jewelry has a double edged value. Pretty high on initial purchase, Often quite low on resale, compared to original sale, unless quite unique, Gold is obviously easily valued for melt, resale of diamonds is often very disappointing.

Perhaps take some good pictures with a simple write up and send via internet to numerous jewelers. There may be something one of their customers would really like. They know their good clients tastes.

Mike

You should look in your area for a consignment shop or a auction house. Should get better than scrap value and no tire kickers.

Good Luck.