100 Yr Old Dragon Find Needs ID Help

There really isn't a simple, as in short and at the same time complete or satisfying, answer to your question.. I'll try to nutshell what I believe this is the best I can; you'll need to do some further searching for verification and fact checking..

I'm using the year 1876 as the starting point, along with the following decade for gearing up and mfg.. The three major factors in play at that time in relation to your find (which I'm not sure I'd call a dragon as much as a lizard -- it's kind of amorphous to my way of seeing it) are: 1) The American Centennial celebration in Philadelphia; 2) Industrial Revolution; 3) probable Chinese input / influence in the manufacturing sector..

The American Centennial and year are important because they are the where and when ascribed to an artistic period called The Aesthetic Movement.. The Industrial Revolution is important since it allowed mfg's to mass produce (in this case complex art works using industrial metals..) The Chinese population because of the spiritual and Feng Shui'ish influences evident in many items (lamps and paintings as well as castings,) most of which were given a Japanese spin for reasons unknown to me..

That's pretty much the bare bones nuts-and-bolts of the way I see it.. I admit I couldn't remember the name given that art period; I had to look it up.. (I knew that art history class I took forty-se ahmmmmm fifteen years ago would be useless..) :blink:

Oh -- the reason I think that might be a lizard..? Check the casting of the tail end.. If it doesn't appear to have been broken off, remember lizards can lose their tails.. It's possible the casting will confirm ID if it appears complete.. I honestly can't say which it may be from the photos alone.. They're both positive energy creatures, lizard yin dragon yang..

Swamp

EDIT: When I say dragon I reference wingless ala Chinese.. Those winged flying things in the flicks don't seem real positive energy as in for the betterment of mankind kind of way to me, knowotimean..

• Like 3

If that thing grows it's tail back, I'd get rid of it, Pronto!!!!  Flashback to Jumanji.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Haha 2

On 12/29/2018 at 9:51 AM, Swampstomper Al said:

There really isn't a simple, as in short and at the same time complete or satisfying, answer to your question.. I'll try to nutshell what I believe this is the best I can; you'll need to do some further searching for verification and fact checking..

I'm using the year 1876 as the starting point, along with the following decade for gearing up and mfg.. The three major factors in play at that time in relation to your find (which I'm not sure I'd call a dragon as much as a lizard -- it's kind of amorphous to my way of seeing it) are: 1) The American Centennial celebration in Philadelphia; 2) Industrial Revolution; 3) probable Chinese input / influence in the manufacturing sector..

The American Centennial and year are important because they are the where and when ascribed to an artistic period called The Aesthetic Movement.. The Industrial Revolution is important since it allowed mfg's to mass produce (in this case complex art works using industrial metals..) The Chinese population because of the spiritual and Feng Shui'ish influences evident in many items (lamps and paintings as well as castings,) most of which were given a Japanese spin for reasons unknown to me..

That's pretty much the bare bones nuts-and-bolts of the way I see it.. I admit I couldn't remember the name given that art period; I had to look it up.. (I knew that art history class I took forty-se ahmmmmm fifteen years ago would be useless..) :blink:

Oh -- the reason I think that might be a lizard..? Check the casting of the tail end.. If it doesn't appear to have been broken off, remember lizards can lose their tails.. It's possible the casting will confirm ID if it appears complete.. I honestly can't say which it may be from the photos alone.. They're both positive energy creatures, lizard yin dragon yang..

Swamp

EDIT: When I say dragon I reference wingless ala Chinese.. Those winged flying things in the flicks don't seem real positive energy as in for the betterment of mankind kind of way to me, knowotimean..

You certainly opened up a new search idea..."Lizard".  Nice info and read.  Thanks for sharing.

19 hours ago, KS Stick said:

What does the back look like? I have dug small dragon like side plates from Flint Lock rifles but none so fancy they also had screw holes in them.

Stick.

It does not have any holes or hinges.  The last photo shows the back and it is the exact same as the front.  Too big and long to be a flint lock plate, but not having it in your hands, I could see your thoughts.  Thanks for comments.

So far,  I have had a couple really good (close to what I have) pictures emailed to me.  Some of the comments are quite interesting and even educational.  Thanks everyone for your contributions.

1Dragon.jpg

1Dragon2.jpg

1Dragon3.jpg

• Like 5