Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

Relic Hunting With GPX And Equinox

Daniel Teague Published on Dec 27, 2018 - Took the 4800 to the bad dirt bullet site with the new to me DeTech Spiral 15" coil.  Also had the Nox 600 with me with the 12x15 coil too, just to play around with it.

• Like 5

No doubt that PI offers superior depth in mineralized ground to VLF, even multifreakers.

Since Paul Palamo has (he tells me) given up on the forums altogether, I feel OK to share something he wrote to me last month.

As I mentioned earlier, still use top end Pulse Induction for my detecting needs both land and water. Everything else are toys, Inland or fresh water black sand mineralization is tougher than west coast black sand. That’s all I use now the GPX 5000 for relic hunting, and a good pi or Minelab for ocean.“

• Like 2

The site in that video is going to be a subdivision soon.  All of it will be gone.  I have been back twice since that video.   In the video I found 41 civil war bullets. My next trip, we were mainly marking bullets to test the new MDT 8000 detector and did not hunt hard for bullets. I think I found 12 that day.  The last trip resulted in 21 bullets.  My buddy that hunts with me has got about the same...so all in all, 3 trips have produced around 100 or little over that, bullets.  Still plenty more of em in there.  I always used this spot as a testing area for new detectors. Gonna be sad to see it gone.  Other relic hunters in the area have recently found it and have been hunting it some.  The Nox does fairly well there for a VLF.  It is not a pulse machine but does better in disc mode than any other VLF on the market that I've used.   

• Like 4

DanielTN .. does not limit your recovery speed setting to Equinox 600 and a 15x12" coil in your strongly mineralized terrain?

Not really.  My buddy has an 800 and brought his12x15 coil to test. He had saw a video somewhere that said the recovery speed setting made a huge difference in depth with that coil.  On bullets I/We found at this same site, I saw no real difference between how his 800 hit them and my 600 hit them. There were none of them that he could detect that I couldn't.  He went thru his recovery speed settings to try and find the best one for him.  I think he was on 4 on his 800 when he settled on it and my 600 was on 2.  

• Like 1

Thank you for replying, Daniel .., I have gotten from the mineralized terrain / 4-bar Tek G2 / it is important to set the recovery speed of my sweep with a coil, rec speed 4-5 is good, recovery speed 6 is less deeper and also requires faster sweep by the coil to get the signal.

5 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

I think he was on 4 on his 800 when he settled on it and my 600 was on 2.

Isn't that the same setting?  (See P51 of Operation Manual, table/graphic under heading EQUINOX 600/800 Equivalent Recovery Speeds.)

Graphs Recovery speed its correct, Equinox 800 and Rec.speed 6 = Equinox 600  Rec.speed 3..

That was the point.  If I understood the question, it was if the lack of recovery settings on the 600 limited/hindered me in bad soil.  My answer was no, because in the end, even though my buddy has an 800 with more settings, what he found to work best and what I found to work best, are essentially the same setting.  There might be other places where he can go one setting above or below where I can and eek out an edge, but I personally think the three settings in the 600 are all a person will need.  I've not ran into a situation where I felt outgunned or longing for a faster or slower speed.  

Now when it comes to audio options...that's where I sometimes wish I had an 800.  If I can find a used one for a decent price I am gonna snag it anyway but I'm not gonna buy a new one just to play with tones.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

That was the point.  If I understood the question,...

Got it.  I didn't understand the question (nor the answer).  I was thinking you were addressing the issue your pal brought up (that he saw in another video) about 12x15 in^2 coil being very sensitive to Recovery Speed setting.  After that my brain went off the tracks.