Unfinished Business With The GPX

Last week I visited my favorite gold beach and hit an area at the end of the day that produced 5 silvers, a couple of war nickels and 8 wheat pennies. Much better than the limited amount of clad I found the first part of that day. It was posted in the Equinox forum under Equinox and EMI. Today I hit that same area with the GPX instead. Being a holiday, I figured there would be limited train runs, and for most of the day that was the case. I ran the GPX as hot as I could handle and put on the 12 1/2" DD coil to get the most depth I could get. It worked! Had a great hunt. Some oddities for the day included a nice old Ford key, a twisty tie (bread tie) that fooled me for a bit, as it is the brightest gold foil that I have ever seen. Thought I had a gold chain :laugh: But the oddest thing I found (or actually re-found) was a deep (18+ " ) remains of a Pringles potato chip can. I found it a while back and the chips still looked like the day they were made. I never took a picture of them and left most of the remainder of the can and chips in the hole. Well, today I came across it again and took them home. Unbelievable what they label as food these days!:ohmy: As for the goods, I found 21 Wheats (one wrapped in red cloth from a change purse?), a bunch of silver coins including some war nickels and a W/L half. The best find of the day was the unmarked gold ring. Gold beach gave me some yellow today!  As for depth on the coins?  Nothing was shallower than 9-10" And 2 of the Mercs came in as a repeatable ground mineral signal. If you use a GPX you will know what faint ground variations sound like, I dug a lot of those today and most disappeared when you took some sand of the top. But 2 of them got louder and I knew I had a small fringe target. What I was surprised at was, that both of those dimes came in at a measured 18". I used a pin pointer to locate them and dug the last inch by hand. I wanted to make sure I did not drop the target back into the hole while digging deeper. I needed to see just how deep this machine can go with no EMI present.  I am still in awe of how good that GPX 5000 is. So, a great start to the New Year and hopefully I can count on the GPX/Equinox combination to handle any beach conditions I come across.

DSC00313.JPG

DSC00317.JPG

DSC00316.JPG

DSC00312.JPG

DSC00314.JPG

• Like 9

That is a gorgeous old ring and a spectacular hunt all way around. Wow, silvers, vintage confectionery, old key etc. 

You know as time goes on, I see more and more how useful a GPX could be to someone like me in the north east.
This thread pretty much ends my internal debate, I am going to get one. 

Thanks for sharing happy new year.

9 hours ago, Alluminati said:

That is a gorgeous old ring and a spectacular hunt all way around. Wow, silvers, vintage confectionery, old key etc. 

You know as time goes on, I see more and more how useful a GPX could be to someone like me in the north east.
This thread pretty much ends my internal debate, I am going to get one. 

Thanks for sharing happy new year.

Thanks.  If you look around and verify that you have a real GPX, you can get a good deal on one. I think I paid around $2460.00 on E bay. Are you in the states or Canada? I'm in western MA. If we are close enough we can hunt a beach and you can try it out. We can share the Pringles :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

This thread may help in your endeavour, eh.

Some really awesome finds with your GPX there, do you mind revealing the settings you use for it on the beach, I'm yet to try mine on the beach but I found a situation a week or two ago where I believe it was necessary to use it.

Without knowing your beach situation, it will be hard to get the correct settings. I use the coin setting, but it may be too hot for some beaches. Sharp may be a better starting point. It's fairly deep and sort of forgiving. EMI is your greatest threat. If you have very little, you will be able to use the deeper timings.  Keep your Gain fairly high (12+) and your target volume around the same.  For hunt I posted, I tweaked the machine a lot of times, but gain, target volume and stabilizer on at least 10 are the most important. Use the biggest DD coil you have. Go SLOW and overlap about 1/2 of the coil size. I deal with a lot of chatter because of close by EMI, but ideally you want a smooth, quiet machine. The balance between those 3 settings are the most important for my conditions.

27 minutes ago, bklein said:

I have a gp Extreme and have tried it at the beach and am impressed. But how water resistant are the coils? What would a mono coil have done for you same spot?

I bought both the 11" and a 12.5" Detech coils for the GPX 5000. They are waterproof. Minelab does not make any waterproof coils, so I found and love those coils. I once did try the Minelab 11" mono coil on the beach, but was unable to figure out a decent setting to match the mineralization of the sand. It just kept falsing  with every swing.  I lowered the gain and other settings, and I wasn't happy with the results. I'm not a fan of mono coils for the beach. Double D's run smoother and offer a little bit of shallow iron discrimination. The more I use them, the better I get at identifying the very deep silver coins that are at this particular beach.

• Like 2