Single Frequency Detector Like The MX Sport Can Still Do It

I was in Oklahoma to see a friend and do some coin hunting together. I had my Sport a single frequency and he had a multi frequency with both of us having good luck detecting.

My biggest trouble was swinging the Sport over 1 1/2 hours each day. The trouble before I went I hadn’t been hunting as often as I should to keep my right arm up to it. Getting older has played lots on shorting my time in the field.

Tom I’ve been at this with White’s from the 60’s and I’d like to stay another 50. Haha  I’ll need some help from White’s on my next detector.

First like me I got to get some weight off the next one I buy . I love the looks of the Sport and I know I could go over to the MX 7 but it too comes up short. The thing I don’t like I can’t notch out just one number at a time. On the number of frequency I can hunt in is just not that important. I’ve found more coins with just it running in one frequency more than most can count.

You can see I must have hit a penny farm. I hit two spots it was nothing but pennies coming up . I’d get tired of digging and my friend took over and dig up as many as I did.

Chuck 

7797A35E-2384-4944-B892-826F95D66B57.jpeg

CF00F5CF-050A-4AFE-98AE-79580FDF9207.jpeg

• Like 8

For you out there who would like to know the coil I use most of the time and that’s the 6” concentric. It was the only one I used on this trip. My friend had a 6” DD on that multi frequency detector he was using.

The guy I was hunting with did find more coins than I did and that was due to the fact he could hunt lots longer because of age difference . The kid is 16 years younger than I am . Heck he’s still got baby fat!

Chuck 

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Single Frequency Detector Like The MX Sport Can Still Do It

Howdy Chuck… I’ve been metal detecting for coins, jewelry in freshwater knee-to-shoulder depths, prospecting for native silver and many other minerals, and digging old bottles for 32+ years. 

Our Ontario substrates range from moderate to high non-conductive ferromagnetic mineralizations. I’ve experimented with multi-frequency detectors in the past without any significant improvement in overall results at local coin hunting sites. That is not to suggest that more recent multi-frequency market releases might not be an improvement. Membership posts here certainly suggest, for example, that the Minelab Equinox represents a meaningful VLF technological advancement.

Nearly all my coin and jewelry recoveries over the years have been detected with single frequency units that range from a 2.5 kHz Fisher Aquanaut to roughly 7kHz White’s coin hunting units. Both 13 / 14 kHz Fisher F75 / White’s MXT are employed for hunting naturally occurring native silver, particularly for trenching and close-up work. We also use both the White’s TDI Pro and Garrett’s Infinium PI for prospecting silver where conditions, for example the substrate’s magnetic susceptibility, and light trash density make these units equipped with larger coils more desirable tools compared to current VLF technology.

We continue to enjoy good success primarily because we think about what we’re trying to achieve, do the necessary research to get results, and make the effort to get into the field. A good deal of our research is completed “hands-on” in the field.

Aside from the frequently discussed search strategies we read about on the forums, for example achieving depth, covering ground and so on, a part of our success in coin hunting and prospecting native silver is that we do not employ detectors that are overly sensitive to small material. In such applications, tiny signals are a time-consuming distraction that subtract from our productivity in the field.

How we employ metal detector technologies to satisfactorily accomplish a task is certainly of the utmost importance, but make no mistake that placing your coil over productive ground is by far and away the primary goal of experienced, consistently successful hobbyists. That means complying with basic research requirements first and foremost. It is hard work, particularly evaluating field sites for future reference, but without that information in hand, the fancy new technology has little or no value………………….Jim.

20190113_180938.jpg.932bd936b6f7953c86ecbf979c8ad08e.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Jim   

Years ago I was big into bottle collecting.

I ask you did you know when 7 up first came out it was in a brown short body long neck beer bottle? The first soda bottles had a round bottom so it couldn’t stand up and this was to keep the cork wet so it wouldn’t leak .

Way back when just about every town bottle coke. The middle of the bottle was square and you had the name of the town where it was bottled. The top and the bottom was the same as you see them now. Like said just the center of it was square.

like coins,bottles  hold more history than you would think.

Chuck 

• Like 2

At one time 7up contained lithium citrate, the name was attributed to the extra lift given when you drank the soda and the atomic mass of lithium (7).

I enjoy a good bottle dig now and again. It's been a few years so I'll have to make a point of it this spring to find a dump.

• Like 1

Lithium is still used sometimes as a mood stabilizer. It's interesting how so many of our soft drinks once had medicinal content.  Tonic water still does (quinine) if you worry about malaria ?

From Wikipedia:  "An early version of Coca-Cola available in pharmacies' soda fountains called Lithia Coke was a mixture of Coca-Cola syrup and lithia water. The soft drink 7Up was originally named "Bib-Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Soda" when it was formulated in 1929 because it contained lithium citrate. The beverage was a patent medicinemarketed as a cure for hangover. Lithium citrate was removed from 7Up in 1948.[3]"

• Like 3