Since it is the start of the new year, I was just wondering what everyone's top few detecting goals are for the year. 

My goals seem modest at the start of the year, but there is usually an item or two on the list that I have to hustle to achieve.  ;)

For 2019 - my top goals are:

• Best my gold jewelry count (which would be 7 pieces of gold this year... I forecast that my foil/pull tab count will also be a record this year too).
  • Hunt in 6 different states
  • Finally find the elusive (to me) 1800's coin (closest so far was a 1902 Indian in 2017)
  • Nugget hunt for the first time (and hopefully not the last)

Of course I have some other goals around silver coin counts, wheatie counts, hours hunted, and a few new locations that I will be embarking on my updated "Quest for a Silver Coin" challenge, but these are the ones that will be a challenge. 

So guys and gals, let's see 'em!

Happy 2019 Hunting everyone.

Tim.

• Like 7

Great goals Tim. 

My goals are to keep working on my iron range. I pulled more coins then ever this year that were partially masked by nails but I feel there is much more room for me to improve. I plan on doing some nail hunting so I can try to learn more about the ferrous range and the falsing that goes with it.

I am also going to do a little more digging just above the nickel range in certain locations to see if I can sniff out a $2.50 Gold Coin, and to also see how many Nickels I’m missing if any.  I did very well with the old Nickels this year running a very tight dig range but I believe it did affect my War Nickel count which was 0.

I’m going to try and spend more time experimenting with other modes this years as well as paying more attention to EMI mitigation. 

Lastly I’m going to continue to cut my clad count as much as possible which I have been working on the last couple years. 

Bryan

• Like 6

My goals are to do my best and not be lazy (how can I be, I have an Equinox- LOL) dig it all machine. My other goal is to dive deeper into chemical cleaning of my beach silver and start to display the gold and silver rings. Generally to group, clean organize and label my better beach finds. Also on the list is to visit some new beaches and venture out a little bit farther. Also to sell a lot of equipment that I do not use and repair the equipment I do use. Some deep woods cellar hole hunting is on the list but not mandatory. I want to learn to enjoy the time detecting more and not be worried if I don't find much that day. This year is year 49 for the number of years I have been detecting, so my goal is to not get hurt before I get to 50 :laugh:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cabin Fever said:

Great goals Tim. 

My goals are to keep working on my iron range. I pulled more coins then ever this year that were partially masked by nails but I feel there is much more room for me to improve. I plan on doing some nail hunting so I can try to learn more about the ferrous range and the falsing that goes with it.

I am also going to do a little more digging just above the nickel range in certain locations to see if I can sniff out a $2.50 Gold Coin, and to also see how many Nickels I’m missing if any.  I did very well with the old Nickels this year running a very tight dig range but I believe it did affect my War Nickel count which was 0.

I’m going to try and spend more time experimenting with other modes this years as well as paying more attention to EMI mitigation. 

Lastly I’m going to continue to cut my clad count as much as possible which I have been working on the last couple years. 

Bryan

You are on the right track imho....   There's LOTS of good old Buffs & V's still out there as most guys won't mess with them because of the beavertails, etc.  Once I figured out a place was done to my best abilities on the older silver, wheats, etc. I would then focus on nickels (and only chasing nickel signals would I ever stumble onto the gold ring by complete accident).  My weakness is I HATE zinc so I miss a few IH's.  Like you mentioned I also figured out that if I was digging modern junk coins I wasn't digging the older stuff I wanted so I started leaving shallow clad and zinc for the other guys...lol  My old coins count came up as my clad count came down.  I now hunt for nuggets only (but can't for some reason part with my eTrac?) and do miss coin shooting but not the distances I have to travel to successfully do it. Also can't take the people, sirens, dogs, folks bitching at you or asking questions, etc.  As far as your gold coin finding goes (never found one myself) you might want to focus more on the $5 piece as it was more common?  You are most likely familiar with C'dA city park and the Fort Grounds area.  Back in the day Military enlisted were paid in silver...officers in gold.  That park and ballpark across the road has given up some real nice old coins to me years ago (seated, V's, buffs, mercs, shield, barbers, IH's) and nobody gets em all....

You get that Nox figured and stick to your game plan I have no doubt you'll be rewarded in the end....GOOD LUCK!!!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cabin Fever said:

Great goals Tim. 

Bryan

Wow Brian!... that makes me feel like I am in grade school and you are working on your master's degree.   Your goals really make me stop and think.... and potentially re-assess my goals.  I want to know more about the coins you found that were masked, and if I am missing them by my hunting style...  bottom line... awesome goals!!  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, oneguy said:

As far as your gold coin finding goes (never found one myself) you might want to focus more on the $5 piece as it was more common?  You are most likely familiar with C'dA city park and the Fort Grounds area.  Back in the day Military enlisted were paid in silver...officers in gold.  That park and ballpark across the road has given up some real nice old coins to me years ago (seated, V's, buffs, mercs, shield, barbers, IH's) and nobody gets em all....

Yes I’m familiar with C’dA park! Found my first Indian Head Cent there in 1992. I still have it somewhere. It’s really been beaten to death the last few years and is one of the toughest to pull an oldie out of in our area now. I need to take the Equinox back over there to see what my E-Trac and CTX missed.

The reasons I mentioned the $2.50 Gold coin is because I was fortunate enough to find a $5.00 Gold Coin earlier this year. They come in right at the Indian Head range so I have a pretty good chance at finding those compared to the smaller $2.50 that might come in down in the 14-15 range just above nickel, which I tend to ignore because of the amount of aluminum that also resides there.

Bryan

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Yes I’m familiar with C’dA park! Found my first Indian Head Cent there in 1992. I still have it somewhere. It’s really been beaten to death the last few years and is one of the toughest to pull an oldie out of in our area now. 

Bryan

1992 eh????  That's when I started tecting and that park was one of my first good "hits"....  They had done a tearout maybe 25' x 25' right behind the restrooms/concession and I was the first in.....seated, IH's, mercs, my first V and barbers....shield came later in the turf.  I can only imagine how beat that park is now.  Oh yeah.....I was done with the tearout area and another guy showed up, there was 1 Pepsi can in the middle....  He asked me "did you check under that can?"....  I replied "no"....he kicked the can away, ran his coil over the area, and popped a barber quarter!!!  Lesson learned.....lol

Just another thought..... In my time over there I never did get around to hitting the courthouse? Might be a good one if you've also not tried it?  Maybe on a Sun. afternoon about supper time?

One other thought....maybe do some research and find out where in the park/fort grounds area where the officers quarters where?  Might be worth some door knocking on some of those fancy homes to find another gold coin?  GOD I HATE door knocking....lol

good luck......

• Like 5

17 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

My goals are to do my best and not be lazy (how can I be, I have an Equinox- LOL) dig it all machine. My other goal is to dive deeper into chemical cleaning of my beach silver and start to display the gold and silver rings. Generally to group, clean organize and label my better beach finds. Also on the list is to visit some new beaches and venture out a little bit farther. Also to sell a lot of equipment that I do not use and repair the equipment I do use. Some deep woods cellar hole hunting is on the list but not mandatory. I want to learn to enjoy the time detecting more and not be worried if I don't find much that day. This year is year 49 for the number of years I have been detecting, so my goal is to not get hurt before I get to 50 :laugh:

I like your goals Nox, especially the one to enjoy the time detecting more and not be worried about the actual finds that day.  Good advice!!  :)  Tim.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2019 at 3:48 PM, Tiftaaft said:

Finally find the elusive (to me) 1800's coin (closest so far was a 1902 Indian in 2017)

Just wanted to update my own post, pretty excited to have checked a goal and bucket item off the list so early into the year.  Sorry for the poor quality picture, the date on the 1897 V is pretty smooth, so I had to do some filtering to help it stand out.  ~Tim

20190111_174846.jpg

• Like 5