I have used Jameco for a few projects, really nice company to deal with. If I remember correct Digi-Key will send single items now so you don't have to buy in bulk. I ordered a pot for my Tejon but the post was wrong style. Need to get around to getting the right size next time I get stuff.

How good are those mini oscilloscopes?

I ordered one of the DSO kits and assembled it. I haven't  gotten it fully calibrated yet. There are some people that have posted Youtube videos about them and it seems replacing a few resistors in the circuit improves function and display for a cleaner wave pattern. I think I am going to order a second kit and assemble it with the suggested value which are 10x what the kit is supplied with. Also planning to order a kit form Function generator to work with setting up the scope and the detector. I also recently noticed that Digikey and possibly some other firms have done away with the minimum order. The big problem with electronics it seems prices for items within the borders of this country are higher priced than Chinese, freight, time for delivery, it all makes everything such a hassle. I use Ebay for a lot of stuff as it still turns out cheaper and I have no issues with using the Foreign parts. Some people try to tell us those parts are sub standard, However you must realize, very little is still being made in the U.S. and this is the kicker. Chinese parts are used in many Military Defense items. So in that context, I feel we have little to worry about if a component fails. Simply find the problem and repair it. If you have knowledge to build the machine, a Digital Meter and a logic tester should get the location of the issue pinpointed. Since the detector works @17.5khx and the DSO is supposed to work up to 200khz it should be good to go for calibrating the detector. People have said the DSO has issues above 20khz but the detector is below that. DSO kits are so cheap on Ebay I hardly see how or where one would be wasting time and money working with one. Besides that the kit is good experience and fun to assemble. I don't feel any piece of test equipment no matter how cheesy it seems to be is a waste, and there's nothing cheesy about the DSO kit or the detector boards from Ukraine/Russian Federation. I have searched and examined several of the detector kits, boards, ect. online and IMO with electronic circuits, the more complicated it appears, the more it does. The Lobo is very complicated with all the IC chips and components it uses. Note, with the unit I have been working on, there were a few of the R's that had very high values of which I did not have on hand and I had to use Ohms law and assemble with more R's than the instructions said. Most of the items I order over Ebay are assorted parts packs so I get a huge discount over just getting the exact items through Jameco or any other supplier and the things I can't find cheaper, go to them. Orders always hold back till I have a list that will pass the needed price to not be charged a sur charge.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/3/2019 at 4:44 PM, Lobo Lover said:

Hello everyone, 

I have just joined up and this is my very first post. I'm surprised to see fellow detectorists here from New Zealand. I've been here in N.Z. for almost 12 years now and only bumped into one other detectorist just a little while ago, some newbie from Christchurch going back home after his first trip to    Kyeburn Diggings up Dansey's Pass. Some older dude with his new Gold Monster 1000, he stopped off at the beach here in Timaru for a snack and his afternoon nap. No luck for him this time and he was complaining about all the metal the old time miners chucked about there. That's along drive to about 2.5 Hrs one way. We were just heading home after hanging out there for the afternoon, when he saw us just after testing out my wife's new BH Commando TK4. So we had a little bit of a tail-gate meeting with him. He wanted to showed us his GM 1000, it was nice to have a look at one up close and I took it for a bit of spin in the dunes. 

Anyway I'm not here to chat about new acquaintances, got much more important stuff to talk about. I would like to Hyper-Tune or Super-Tune my Lobo ST and  need some help with it. I Was thinking about putting on an external ground balance potentiometer to get some more depth, but first I need to know how it all works. Because my wife and I are Newbie's too and I'm trying to teach myself, my beautiful and talented assistant the "wife" all the ropes about MDing.

So if anyone can help in anyway it would be very much appreciated.  A German guy did that to his Lobo and he seams to be happy with his mod I think his name is mschahl and another guy Keith they both seem to very knowledgeable about the Lobo ST.  I would love to here about what is and isn't, the up and down's, the in's and out's and what mod's I could do with these two MD's the Lobo and BH TK4.

Also I could get a new PCB for the Lobo and put it in a build box like the one shown or drop it straight into the Lobo but don't know where or who could build it for me. This way I can take out the factory one to keep for a back-up incase anything goes wrong with my build. 

Thanks' in advance for all your help and it's nice to be here, I don't feel so lost now.

Paul.

Lobo board.jpg

Lobo complete.jpg

A1.jpg

A6.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

A3.jpg

Hello
I can copy from this PCB fiber dual procedure. Am I allowed to do that?