Nox 800 Gold Mode

PASTASHELL

Hi I just read one of your articles on the 800 about gold mode , it is very interesting. I have been using it in the UK and like it , could I pick your brains to help me take this to the  next level for hammy hunting etc .  recovery Speed iron etc  I will be using the 15 inch coil

many thanks

Hi PASTASHELL, welcome to the forum!

I have only used Gold Mode to hunt gold nuggets. I have heard that people were using it for just about everything else also, which is a good sign. No mode should be tied to a name. Each is simply a set of operating parameters useful in some places and not as much in others.

Anyway, I am hoping someone will chime in here who has used Gold Mode for something other than nugget detecting. Other than that, what question do you have specifically about using Gold Mode? If it is settings to start with, use the defaults, and adjust from there.

Little gold nuggets I found in California and Nevada using Equinox Gold Mode. More nugget detecting tips

equinox-minelab-finds-california-nevada-

• Like 3

Guest Tnsharpshooter

I have used gold mode for relic and coin hunting,

Don’t have 15” coil though.  Seems recovery can be lowered (slowed down) a bit using bigger coil vs stock.  I run stock at 0 iron bias, speeds 5 and 6 depending on how littered with with ferrous.

Using gold mode vs other detect modes.  Gold modes you are listening for shape of signal, usiing other detect mode other than  gold modes  a user is listening for sound of signal.  Best way I can explain distinction.

When in areas where targets  are sparse, gold modes best choice.  Coil sweep/coil position more forgiving vs other detect modes hence gets a person to stop and investigate signals odds wise.  Depth too is an advantage for using gold mode.  I primarily run gold 1 mode.

I know most hunters might argue the point, but I've always wanted a true, motion all metal mode like gold 1 and gold 2 with one small  addition, 2 tone option, one for iron and the other for non-ferrous.  Even better would be an adjustable tone break.

Years ago I hunted with the Fisher F75, in motion all metal mode and found a lot of super deep targets that the other discrimination modes could not pick up. 

• Like 5

It is gold mode i have been using. I am also in the uk. Recovery speed at 5. Tracking off. Iron bias is 1. I think my threshold is at 3. I dig everything above an id of 2. These settings were recommended to me and seem to work very well. 

• Like 3

On 1/5/2019 at 10:39 AM, PASTASHELL said:

Hi I just read one of your articles on the 800 about gold mode , it is very interesting. I have been using it in the UK and like it , could I pick your brains to help me take this to the  next level for hammy hunting etc .  recovery Speed iron etc  I will be using the 15 inch coil

many thanks

Hi, this old thread is worth noting if you dont know already.

Good luck with it.?

On 1/5/2019 at 10:27 PM, Mark Gillespie said:

I know most hunters might argue the point, but I've always wanted a true, motion all metal mode like gold 1 and gold 2 with one small  addition, 2 tone option, one for iron and the other for non-ferrous.  Even better would be an adjustable tone break.

Years ago I hunted with the Fisher F75, in motion all metal mode and found a lot of super deep targets that the other discrimination modes could not pick up. 

Yes sir!! I truly wish they would have made those an option for the Gold modes! Especially a tone option for it.  I've never liked VCO audio.  

That was one of the reasons I originally sold the 800 and kept the 600. I wasn't going to use the Gold modes.  Now that the price has settled down on them and they are available anywhere, I think I will pick up an 800 again just for the customized audio part.  

• Like 2

I would have liked the VCO pitch audio as an option for the modes other than gold mode with iron volume for discriminated targets underneath (this is how Deus works and it is an effective way to unmask non ferrous in the presence of ferrous) as a well as "normal" tone ID as an option for gold mode.

• Like 3

Yes Chase, the function I miss the most on the 800 is a lack of vco pitch in other modes besides gold.

• Like 1