Recently I picked up a Fisher F19. I have been hitting the local parks after work putting time on the new machine.

Benn having a lot of fun with that and finding tones of clad and junk jewelry. Nothing to brag about but fun all the same.

What I have found that interests me is the children. I get a lot of attention from the kids.

Today one kid cornered me and asked a million questions. Finally I asked is she wanted to give it a go. Man those eyes lit up

"CAN I REALLY". Hay why not.

She  spent the better part of an hour  detecting before it was time to go. In talking to her I learned she was Autistic and has Asperger.

That got me thinking I need a metal detector just for the kids.

I am looking for suggestions on a good, entry level detector. Not really shur what to look at, but seems to me it needs to be simple in design and sized for kids but I would like it to be capable. Price is not a issue but I would expect that it would not be expensive. Maybe an older used model is the way to go?

What do you guy`s think?

Maybe an Xterra 305. You can get a smaller shaft for kids.

http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/minelab-x-terra-305-metal-detector

Also the new Go-find 20 may be an option with its adjustable shaft?

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/702-minelab-go-find-metal-detector/

Both appear to be easy to use, reasonably low priced & capable enough for you also as a backup or other option?

Tesoros! A compadre is perfect,but anything like silver umax would work well too. When my son was young,I would give him my silver umax,crank the disc all the way,and while I was searching for old silver,he would dig a pile of quarters and dimes...it even disced out most screw caps.

• Like 1

My 10 year old Grandaughter is getting pretty good at finding coins with a Garrett ACE 150.

• Like 1

Paul. My GPAA group in Reno is doing this. We have taught close to 2000 youngsters how to detect. It is a great experience to see a kid find a few coins with a detector. Anyone feel free to attend or volunteer. Or contact me for more details.

1) Explore the Outdoors

Saturday, April 18th

10a – 3p

Rancho San Rafael Regional Park

For the Explore the Outdoor event we will not be doing GOLD PANNING as the park removed the panning flume. We will instead be partnering with Reno Detecting and Prospecting group to put on metal detecting event.

Sjmpainter - Look at ebay or criagslist of used bounty hunters or look for new ones cheep. I took a cheep BH Lonestar and modded it for my 5 yr old son when he was only 4. Cut down the shaft and shortened arm rest. Attached control box to belt. It discs great i notch out everything but clad and quarters and it does amazingly well. Doesn't go deep but its accurate and has enough depth to find allot of coins. But the new Minelab Go's look Sweet. 

Love teachn kids to detect - adults too

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Nice to know others are willing to show the hobby to the young ones.

What a bunch of fun, kind off like herding cats.

I did look at Ebay for some of the low end machines. Also looked at the Go Find. The Go Find 20 is priced at 170.00 and has a warranty. Plus looks adjustable not only on the lower shaft but the arm shaft as well. That is awesome! Looks easy to use with the target display icons. And it folds up to a small package. I think that fits the bill well.

Looks like they are not available yet. Anyone know the arrival date. The rate I am finding change I could have enough for the cost in a few weeks.

Again Thanks and HAPPY EASTER...............