When Does New GPZ Gold Metal Detector Come Out?

longhn

For new detectors coming out from Minelab, keep your eye out on the patent, and trademark websites for names like Codan, Minelab, Bruce Candy, ect....

• Like 5

There has been way more gold found without a detector than with one!

Mitchel

• Like 6

If the GPX line is any guide (4000, 4500, 4800, 5000), the successor to the GPZ 7000 may well be the GPZ 7500, offering only incremental improvement. 

I'm not accusing Minelab of laziness, but the fact of the matter is that unless some of the other manufacturers do some impressive catching up in the high-end gold machine niche, Minelab probably doesn't need to do much to stay ahead.

• Like 2

Yes, JW, I agree.  But look at all the clues that were left behind from the era before metal detectors!

My point was that we should and do seek out gold spots found WITHOUT a metal detector and we then try it WITH the 'easy find' tool as you describe.

Mitchel

Interesting, talking about clues left behind, early days with the early VLFs we run around here and there, getting the easy surface stuff. I revisit over the years some of those isolated places with our deeper more sensitive detectors and in some cases Wow, we got some clues but we left more. How many such spots not revisited or forgotten or the original operator has moved on and of course how many clues taken out now with our "better" detectors, patches "almost" found

Makes you wonder about those patches that were almost found? What techniques should we be adopting to maximise our chances of finding them? Maybe the metal detector has spoilt us a wee bit but then again maybe we are not utilizing that detectors capability properly, sure we might believe we have mastered its capabilities and got our swing right but have we mastered what ground to use it on? Buh time will tell.

• Like 3

Hey longhn! I would buy Steve's GPZ if I were you. I would love to own anything the Gold Godfather Steve has touched! P.S. Steve you selling that fresh Walco pick yet ? -Mike

Nope, the Walco goes nowhere! I am flattered by your portrayal - I am pretty good with a detector but there are many far better than I.

Jason, I like your thinking. I am selling the GPZ for no other reason than I have other things I want to pursue other than heavy prospecting this year. For a lot of the reasons you mention I am perfectly content using a VLF to look for gold so going awhile without a "big gun" does not worry me at all. The thought of going and chasing gold with a "VLF only" sounds quite refreshing right now. Honestly the way I run the GPZ is just grunt work. Days on end of careful gridding of "hunted out" locations. I have a hankering to do more of the just wandering around and exploring thing this summer, and a VLF stuffed in a rucksack as you noted can often serve better than a ton of theoretically more powerful gear.

But mainly I have my focus set on goals that are completely unrelated to gold prospecting or metal detecting this year. I decided to use the opportunity to clean house and start fresh again in 2020.

• Like 8