When Does New GPZ Gold Metal Detector Come Out?

longhn

11 hours ago, jasong said:

Anyone else thinking along these same lines recently?

Yep! Its the same reason I use the QED in Aus.  An ultra lightweight but effective detector can't be beaten for putting in the looong hours on new ground  :)

Edit: talk about coincidence! Howard the QED inventor just now posted up his largest find to date, a shallow 4.2 grammer on new ground. Naturally, he's over the moon since, like Bruce Candy, he's not had much time to be a detector operator.

Probably hooked now! 

• Like 3

Interesting thread, and lots of good ideas expressed so far, especially the comments on why spend a gazillion dollars on a machine as a rookie when there are excellent VLF's out there that will still sniff out a lot of gold in good gold areas where you're not dealing with extreme mineralization or extra-deep gold.

I love hunting with VLF's for the same reasons others do; it's not a tiring process in any way to swing the machine, and I have a lot more fun.

Having said that, when I need my PI, I'm glad I've got it, but looking back on when I started, I wouldn't want to have started with a heavy machine vs. a lightweight machine. Moreover, today's VLF's are a lot better equipped to handle the ground and are able to "think" with their computer brains about what's going on in the ground with tracking, etc., etc.

I'd cut my teeth on a new generation VLF dedicated gold machine, then move up if you really develop a love for nugget hunting. Chasing nuggets is often a lonesome pursuit with many barren stretches between nuggets, and it requires a lot of serious dedication to keep at it let alone the dedication required to research ground and the dedication to learn every nuance of your detector.

On a different note, one that Steve and others have reflected on before, I'd love Minelab to figure out how to get their new-gen GPZ tech. into a much lighter package if at all possible. Sometimes I get tired of dragging around what sometimes feels like a garage door on the end of the shaft, so I'll take a sporty little VLF for a spin whenever possible instead . . .

All the best, and good luck with whatever your decision is,

Lanny

• Like 5

I would like to thank Steve Herschbach, fredmason, Nevada Brian, WesD, flakmagnet, phrunt, Northeast, Swampstomper Al, DolanDave, mn90403, Dubious, Gravelwasher, kiwijw, Norvic, jasong, SDMiner, Hard Prospector, jrbeatty, and Lanny for all advises. Your words are wisdom to me. Especially to Steve, your website is full of knowledge of metal detector. Feel so great and blessed going one after another page.

So, what VLF detector should I buy? Which VLF detector have all the positive aspect of VLF and also can search relatively deep in the ground? Please help recommend one and not worry much about the cost because I see my time on the equipment is valuable. Some come up in my mind are Whites 24K, Equinox 800, X-Terra 705.  

About the GPZ, I decide to wait a little longer while pick up the experience with VLF. Just did a little homework, below is the cycle of Minelab high end gold machine, which is ~4 years. I would bet with anyone 1 gram gold nugget that Minelab will launch a high end GPZ and/or GPX technology gold detector by the end of this year.

After getting VLF, I will do DOE (Design of Experiment) and post all the finding. Greatly thank you all. Looking forward to reporting my finding, once i get the VLF you recommend!!!

Thank you all!

• Like 4

I like Minelab and would go with the Equinox 800.  Depth is not what you are after anyways.  Gold occurs at all depths unless right in the middle of a fluvial environment which allows for liquifaction and the settlement of heavies.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, phrunt said:

What size gold are you expecting? If it's tiny you should rule out the X-terra with it's lower frequency and replace it with the Gold Monster on your list. I have the Gold Bug Pro which is similar frequency to the X-Terra and it won't find tiny gold as easy as the higher frequency machines but it's still a great detector. 

Other than that the Nox 800 and GM1000 are pretty equal in my opinion, the performance difference on gold is so tiny it's hard to know which is better. The GM however is a dedicated Gold Machine and it's simplicity makes it a joy to use, If I pick up a small gold VLF detector I usually grab the Monster over my Nox, I just prefer using it, no real major performance reason why, I just favor it and at least it comes with both coils so you're ready to go straight away.

I agree whole heartedly with phrunt.  As I have stated on this forum many times, I believe people new to prospecting should start with machines which can detect small gold at least down to half grain.  This way you increase your chances of getting "SOMETHING" so you continue your quest of learning much longer.  And the same as others, I found my largest gold less than 6" deep with my smallest coil.  So yes, a Radio Shack detector could have found it.  

Being a good prospector, in my opinion, is only about 25% the machine and 75% your blood sweat and tears into research and covering ground.  Remember, there is much more smaller gold out there. so GM1000, GB2, SDC2300 have my vote.  After you have found many pcs with one of these, then move up to gpx or gpz.

Andyy

• Like 5