Coiltek 18 X 12 Mono Goldstalker Elliptical Coil; Minelab 15x12 Semi-elliptical Mono, Any Good?

Lanny

Good morning, just looking for some feedback on the CoilTek 18X12 Goldstalker Mono Elliptical coil. Anyone had any experience with it? If so, what are your opinions on its abilities please.

On a different note, how about the Minelab Commander 15X12  semi-ellipitical mono?

I realize there are newer, probably much better coils for the GPX, but I'd really like some information on either of these coils by anyone that's used them.

Any feedback on either coil is much appreciated, including which one you think might be better than the other . . . (I've never used either one, but have a chance to buy, but can't find any reviews so far except by the manufacturers.)

Thanks for your time, and all the best,

Lanny

Lanny, out of those 2 coils, I've only used the 12x15 Commander on the GPX 5000 and it quickly became my favorite; it's big enough to have some serious punch on the large targets, yet at the same time has extraordinary sensitivity to deep, small nuggets as well. It's the coil I was using when I discovered the Pothole Patch - full story here:

https://www.naturalgoldtrader.com/The-Pothole-Patch.html

• Like 6

Lunk,

Many thanks for the specific feedback, much appreciated as I appreciate your generosity in sharing some details. It's always nice to ask and get such a concise and informative response.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1

I will answer this question with a few possible twists that may or may not help,i do own a Minelab 15x12 Commander  mono coil and i also own a similar Coiltek coil but not identical,but it may help you in making a decision.

As mention above i do own a use the 15x12 mono coil but dont use it for nugget hunting but i do use it for deep hoard/relic hunting an must admit its a terrific coil for the type of detecting that i do,but this is the 'twist' that i dont use this coil on a Minelab detector ie like the GPX but i do use it on the Whites TDI Pro straight out the box without any problems what so ever.It is slightly on the heavy side,so i always use a full harness either on its own or with a 'Hipstick' with both of these extras i can/could swing this 15x12 coil all day long,so this info may or may not help it does not directly help you but indirectly it could do.

Regarding the Coiltek Elliptical mono goldstalker coil i dont own the exact size that you have mentioned the 18x12 but i do own the slightly smaller 14x9 mono version,this one again is not used on a Minelab machine but once again on my TDI Pro,and if i am honest this coil is my favourite all time coil for any Pulse machine as it is so light because its foam filled its as light as a feather,but of course it would be no good for surf detecting,but for all other uses like inland then this is without doubt a deadly coil,its very good depth wise but its also very good on small size finds.Mine use for both of these coils are not 'nugget' related but artefacts both large and small.

So that my take on one of the coils that you have mentioned and also a different size version of the 2nd coil that you have mentioned,but i have highlighted how i use them and how i found them by using them on a totally different detector.

What ever option you choose,good luck and keep us in the 'loop' about which coil you do buy.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2019 at 4:14 AM, RickUK said:

I will answer this question with a few possible twists that may or may not help,i do own a Minelab 15x12 Commander  mono coil and i also own a similar Coiltek coil but not identical,but it may help you in making a decision.

As mention above i do own a use the 15x12 mono coil but dont use it for nugget hunting but i do use it for deep hoard/relic hunting an must admit its a terrific coil for the type of detecting that i do,but this is the 'twist' that i dont use this coil on a Minelab detector ie like the GPX but i do use it on the Whites TDI Pro straight out the box without any problems what so ever.It is slightly on the heavy side,so i always use a full harness either on its own or with a 'Hipstick' with both of these extras i can/could swing this 15x12 coil all day long,so this info may or may not help it does not directly help you but indirectly it could do.

Regarding the Coiltek Elliptical mono goldstalker coil i dont own the exact size that you have mentioned the 18x12 but i do own the slightly smaller 14x9 mono version,this one again is not used on a Minelab machine but once again on my TDI Pro,and if i am honest this coil is my favourite all time coil for any Pulse machine as it is so light because its foam filled its as light as a feather,but of course it would be no good for surf detecting,but for all other uses like inland then this is without doubt a deadly coil,its very good depth wise but its also very good on small size finds.Mine use for both of these coils are not 'nugget' related but artefacts both large and small.

So that my take on one of the coils that you have mentioned and also a different size version of the 2nd coil that you have mentioned,but i have highlighted how i use them and how i found them by using them on a totally different detector.

What ever option you choose,good luck and keep us in the 'loop' about which coil you do buy.

Rick,

A big thanks to you for responding with your highly detailed response. What you've written up is a great help, and I appreciate the time you took to write such a lengthy reply!

All the best, and thanks again,

Lanny

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 9:32 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

The 15” x 12” Commander mono is a solid performer. I never took to the Goldstalkers personally. There seems to be more housing than needed in the Goldstalker models.

Steve, that's good to know that the Commander coil is a solid choice, and I appreciate your open reply about its performance.

In addition, thanks for taking your time to post the information on the Goldstalker coil.

All the best,

Lanny

Radioworld in Canada is having a sale on Ebay for the Commander 15x12 Mono coils. Also Radioworld is an authorized Minelab dealer and they ship to the USA. Came out to $92.99 shipped to my door.

Screenshot_20190110-173412.jpg

• Like 1