Which Large Coil For Multi Kruzer?

Hi all,

I am looking to buy an additional coil for my MK 14kHz to get some extra depth while in the field. I cannot decide between AF35 and KR40. Could you please advise which coil shall I purchase to add some depth for coin, jewellery and relic hunting and why?

I would really appreciate your answer!

Thank you in advance!

82084DD9-A3AE-4F0A-B89F-9CBBC5EB254D.jpe

Welcome to the forum!

Basically from my perspective it is a clearance and weight thing. You have to have fairly open ground for large coils.... I am assuming you have that.

If you have the strength to swing it, go for the KR40 15.5" x 14". Why? Maximum ground coverage and depth.

But it may be due to the weight that the AF35 is a better choice. That part only you can answer.

Ive only used the stock and 5x9.5 coils on mine so far.  They go deep enough for my needs and I tend to hunt more wooded areas. Think my next purchase will be the 5”dd or 7” concentric   

There are a few anfibio vids on YouTube using the KR35(13”) and it looks pretty effective.  The KR40 looks like it may be pushing it as far as being unwieldy.  

• Like 1

I have swung the 15.5" x 13" on the Gold racer and the 15.5" x 14" on the Impact...

post-1-0-98176400-1448415260.jpg
Makro Gold Racer with 15.5" x 13" DD coil

nokta-impact-with-15-14-dd-coil.jpg.06b3
Nokta Impact with 15.5" x 14" coil

Just to note I am used to swinging heavy detectors all day. The large coil on the Gold Racer is obviously quite nose heavy but not as bad as anticipated. The version of the coil for the Gold Racer only weighs 1 lb 10.8 oz. Still, larger than most people want to swing on a detector this light.

The 15.5" x 14" coil is a little heavier at 1 lb 13 oz but on the Impact actually feels better due to the machine being better balanced with a large coil. This is because on the large battery box acting as a counterweight. I liked the feel of the large coil much better on the Impact.

The Multi Kruzer being an S rod design like the Gold Racer probably makes the 13" coil the better choice unless you have really strong arms. The larger coil fares better on the Impact and I assume Anfibio due to a better balanced design.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I only have about 9 hours on my kruzer but i'm getting more depth than I like to dig with the factory coil. It really stresses your bicep until you get used to it. if you search a lot of open ground I would try the AF35 13.7x13 first, not sure what the balance/weight  would be? or the depth gain that you get would 1 inch or 2 be worth the extra cash. A lot of hype goes around coils. I've tried a few and sometimes have been disappointed in their performance. If you can try one first to see if you like it or buy it from a place that is willing to take returns. I'm not a electronic's expert but if I only get 1 or 2 inches to find a couple of silver coins a year its just not worth it. Most of us are not finding the mother lode and can be quite happy with stock coils (hence the factory gives you a pretty good all around coil)  Research, Research, Research rule #1 before you  commit good hard earned money. Just my two cents. Hope you have many good detector experiences, Sometimes it's the thrill of finding just a pull tab in a new place. HAVE FUN !!!!!!

Mars coils are light. Mars Tiger 10x13 500 grams, Discovery 13" 520 grams, Goliath 15" 580 grams.

http://en.marsmd.com/catalog/

I had a Multi Kruzer with the Mars Tiger. It was light and went thru the water nice.

I think Nokta has a nice range of coils and no real need to go to a 3rd party company. If I do pull the trigger on the MK I will start with the stock, see how it fairs in the areas I have picked through. Eventually snag the 13 for the open fields that have deep top soil. If it struggles with bottle caps in parks I'll consider the 9" concentric. Outside of those 3 coils I really can't see the need for more than that.

The hours I have swung the Nel Big weighing in at 3 lbs is brutal and the only real return on it was a couple of silver dimes at 14" or so. Hardly worth the work. Everything else I had found with that beast of a coil was well in range of a stock 8 1/2x 11 stock dd.