Sign in to follow this  
Tnsharpshooter

Digging Deep Targets With Orx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tnsharpshooter 

Thanks for posting the video. Hope someone one on this side of the water will make one and show the ID of American coins. The ORX has a pinpoint mode and I’d like to see how accurate it was . 

I had to stop typing this and look to see in the owners manual if it had a depth meter in one form are another. Just at a glance I can’t find a word about it.

Chuck 

• Like 1

Well I went page by page from one end of the owners manual to the other and haven’t found nothing about a depth meter.

I think you can find a depth meter on the cheapest detector on the market now days.

Oh well.

Chuck 

It’s being marketed as a nugget detector. Nobody uses depth meters on nugget detectors. GPZ 7000 for far more money - no depth meter. The Orx is a subset of the Deus capability and so if the Orx lacks features you want get the Deus.

• Oh my! 1

I gotta say that the orx seems to actually be a decently deep detector, while marketed as a gold machine it certainly seems to not have issues as a general purpose machine. 

• Like 1

I don't use my ORX as a gold detector. It will find coins if you run your coil over them. Did not buy it for use as a gold machine. There isn't much of anything out there showing how it does on American Coins, that I agree with. Call me stupid but mine is going to be used as a general purpose unit.  So far been happy with it, although I've not found a lot of good things with it yet. That's due to my horrible places to hunt. Will work on getting more areas until then I'm still in learning mode. Only have around 6 hrs time with it.

It does have its advantages. In my hard hunted yard that has seen numerous detectors over the years I still managed to pull out some coins (clads). Still that is an accomplishment. It has also shown that it will find coins in iron or around garbage. It's a bit chatty and you will feel as if you're in a machine gun testing field but the ORX can and does pull good from bad if you understand it. The ground condition bars are also nice as it tells the story about how much the ground varies, no more guessing if your soil is bad or not. In time will learn even more about it as my schedule permits. I DO miss a depth meter. Just some kind of idea on depth would be nice. Pinpointing with the ORX is a bit odd but once you use it a few times it begins making sense. The feature where you can narrow it down during pinpointing is useful but a bit awkward. Would be nice if XP put some kind of update out to make things a bit more friendly.

• Like 3

A person could alter reactivity setting while over a target or change modes with a different reactivity setting.  Based on signal strength or lack of signal when comparing a person may indeed get an idea on depth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

A person could alter reactivity setting while over a target or change modes with a different reactivity setting.  Based on signal strength or lack of signal when comparing a person may indeed get an idea on depth.

True,  But all of that takes TIME. Time to shift from one to the other and back again.  Time to compare.  The more time one spends dilly dallying about, the few targets one digs which USUALLY equates to fewer keepers at the end of the day.

That said once most of us become accustomed to a detector over time, the sound of a target signal (providing it is modulated), will usually give away the approximate depth. I do like the XP horseshoe on the Deus though and anticipated seeing it on the ORX.  I couldn't find it in the literature either. Or the X display. 

I guess there has to be enough technology separation to justify the difference in price and this was one of the sacrificed features.

Rich - 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rich (Utah) said:

True,  But all of that takes TIME. Time to shift from one to the other and back again.  Time to compare.  The more time one spends dilly dallying about, the few targets one digs which USUALLY equates to fewer keepers at the end of the day.

That said once most of us become accustomed to a detector over time, the sound of a target signal (providing it is modulated), will usually give away the approximate depth. I do like the XP horseshoe on the Deus though and anticipated seeing it on the ORX.  I couldn't find it in the literature either. Or the X display. 

I guess there has to be enough technology separation to justify the difference in price and this was one of the sacrificed features.

Rich - 

Yep.  Time is valuable.  I only suggested what a user could do to get more intel as far as depth goes.  I am sticking with my Deus units.

Digging even a shallow hole with clad in it takes time. (Waste time).

• Like 2