Sign in to follow this  
Tnsharpshooter

A Rare Coin Detected Alright, Not Using A Detector Though

You might say this was "old news" as it was found in 1947........ grin

15 hours ago, LipCa said:

You might say this was "old news" as it was found in 1947........ grin

I can smile, too, but I'm annoyed at the Fox News headline, leading the observer to conclude the discovery occurred recently.  I'll let it go at that.  Interesting story, but I prefer reading the Heritage Auction description (which Fox News did link):

https://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-cents/small-cents/1943-cent-struck-on-a-bronze-planchet-au53-ngc/a/1291-4362.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

OK, maybe I won't let it go just yet.  🙂  I've read ads (or similar) that go like (paraphrased):  "You can find a million dollar coin in your pocket change!" and then go on to describe the 1943 copper alloy penny or some other outstanding rarity.  You can win the MegaMillions lottery, too, and that is probably more likely.  From my (and most of your?) childhood, comic books used to have similar ads about finding an 1804 US silver dollar.

A number of years ago, sometime within the last 10 I believe, a gentleman with one of those pennies released his back into the wild.  So when I saw the headline myself I thought maybe someone had finally found it.  I'm sure there are a couple out there in piggy banks or penny rolls just waiting for the observant youngster to find 🙂

2 hours ago, DDancer said:

I'm sure there are a couple out there in piggy banks or penny rolls just waiting for the observant youngster to find

Can't rule that out as a possibility.  Long hidden rare coins do surface occasionally.  For example, the 1794 US silver dollar, the first of its kind ever minted, is a great rarity.  (Survival estimate is 150, so part of its appeal is the historical significance.)

In 1964, two Uncirculated specimens (one still the finest known and the other among the top 5) were 'discovered' in England.  (See story in book shown below.)  Research showed that they were taken back to Britain by a visitor who picked them up in Philadelphia at the time of their striking.  The better of the two sold in 2015 for just under $5 million.  I don't know its price realized rank among US coins but it must be in the top 10.

Does anyone know what is the most valuable US coin ever found with a metal detector?

Adventures-with-rare-coins.jpg

• Like 1

I've never looked through my 15 pounds or so of Wheaties for any good dates.... maybe I should.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LipCa said:

I've never looked through my 15 pounds or so of Wheaties...

That's about $21 in face value, $38 in copper content (not copper value since it would have to be processed to remove the tin/zinc).  People buy unsearched Wheaties.  I wonder what you could get on Ebay for 2000+ of them.  Of course you'd have to disclose the condition, and if heavily scaled/corroded you might not get much more than copper content, if even that.  Then there's the shipping cost....  Just a thought, and probably not a good one.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:31 PM, LipCa said:

I've never looked through my 15 pounds or so of Wheaties for any good dates.... maybe I should.

I say yes..

It should be noted that besides the rare dates there are a bunch of doubled dies floating around, many more than shown in the Red Book.. There are also many error and varieties too, some of which can fetch a ermmm pretty penny.. Check sites such as doubleddie dot com, varietyvista dot com, coppercoins dot com and a couple other sites for specific years along with photo examples..

Swamp