Discriminator Or Detector?

mn90403

16 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Chase,

When I say discrimination I mean accurate ID of a target.  This would mean that gold would not be masked or confused with iron stones.  It would mean that you could 'see' through can slaw that others could not.  With the new and improved multi-frequency it would be hard to fool this detector.  

Mitchel

Hi Mitchel ,

Give them time, this is the first generation of Equinox.

Maybe the next generation might get a little closer to the CTX's target ID info.

Maybe with that it will be closer to CTX's price too ? ?

Either way the future of Minelab multi-frequency looks bright.

Happy swinging... I am off to the beach and its over 100 degrees farenheight today. 

NSC

• Like 1

Let's do a little bit of thread combining here.  Over on the main forum it was said on Page 3:

Trashy mining sites hiding good gold have been waiting for a new effective multi frequency detector that excels at discrimination......

Hello NOX 800

Tonight I went back out to the beach one more time with the 11 inch and results were dismal because I've hit it and not much has changed.  I went to the SAME beach to understand that beach.  I've never done that 3 days in a row.

While working it tonight I remembered when I used my new 5000 on the beach back in 2011 and 2012.  Now that is a pure detector but I was staying out of the water.  (I'm thinking about using it again with the beach program and a Coiltek that I have.)

I know a couple of guys that use beach PIs.  I think they find a lot more than I do but they have to dig a lot but ... am I trading off too much to use a CTX or Equinox?

What more would I find if I used a beach PI?

What would I not find if I used a beach PI?

Let's just limit this to Beach only and specifically tide beaches that have been under water at high tide.

The way I think is a PI is pure detector.  (I know you can hear shapes but it basically detects metals and you dig them.)

The CTX, Explorer and Equinox is a detector with discrimination. 

The Equinox is very fast and can distinguish (discriminate if you will) between different types of metal nearby or sometimes within the same target (a sandwich coin).  I need to understand the standard sounds and screens or program the detector better to get the most out of it. 

Clive's books are going to help.

Mitchel

Use the CTX/Equinox first on an area that is not too polluted with iron, then use the 5000. I have great success with the GPX 5000/ Equinox combination. The Equinox finds most targets decently up to 10" on my types of beaches and the 5000 cleans up the lower depths well. When the wind or waves remove more sand, I do that same combination over again. So far, I have not seen a better combination out there. Maybe there is one, but they are not talking about it :laugh:

• Like 2

I have been out every night on pretty much the same beaches because I want to learn about this wave pattern.  The pattern is not the point of my posting here so I'm going to make a point about a couple of things I've found.

A couple of nights ago I got a solid 10 and that usually indicates something different.  As it turns out it was.  It is a stainless steel man's ring.  I've found gold rings at 10 also.  Of course I'm going to dig it just like I do the 13s which are just about always nickels.

Fringe detection on the 800 is probably what I had been referring to when I spoke of 'lack of discrimination' in my first post.  When I get a deep detection on the 11 or the 15 often times it doesn't have a good ID.  I've found that multiple targets can be unidentified at depth but also chains and other jewelry.  Corroded pennies can be from 12 to 22 in my most recent experience.

I'm not swinging anything else right now so when it doubt, dig it out.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Hi Mitchel, I agree with dig (almost), everything especially when the signal is unusual. I have found many interesting things by digging a signal that was out-of-normal. Continued good luck, let's see what the storm(s), brings.

Heres my thoughts.   Most VLFs will find about the same thing IN the salt water.........but the Nox does seem to find smaller gold.   Its a little iffy on gold on edge compared to the CTX..... and frankly you cant beat the info the CTX smartscreen gives.   But man its like swinging a dead horse over the Nox with any water movement.     Now for the PI......ALL the disc targets are still going to be there along with everything beyond the VLF depth.   Yes you can clean it out some with the VLF ......but same targets are going to be dug in the long run the way you want hunt it.    No matter how you slice that pie..... the same amount of time would be spend if you just used the PI.   Having a PI at least gives you an option many dont have..... and its possible to turn up the delay to cut back on the trash to treasure.  Hunting in AM with say the CTX would give you some indication as to the trash there.  

• Like 1

Well, I've been out in the storm surf here.  Not all storms are created equal.  One afternoon I ventured out in the rain with the proper gear on and I was not bothered by the weather.  I was 'bothered' by the lack of targets.  These waves were at long intervals. 

This afternoon's front came in and I was not the first one on this particular beach although I did walk beyond the first person.  They had left all their holes open.  I found a few deeper targets than they were finding but both of us didn't have a real patch.  The waves seemed to be too random to group things together.  I found no jewelry today in my 2 hour hunt.

Time to Saffordite hunt on Sunday ... no detector necessary ... just use the old eyes!

Mitchel

• Like 1