Interesting Comment About Iron Bias

flakmagnet

I read this in another forum and thought it was interesting. I asked the poster for permission and he said yes.

Mark Carter Iron bias just alters a threshold that determines if a signal will be classified as iron or not. It’s not a filter per se and doesn’t affect depth.
The benefit of a low iron bias has been correctly explained. But that is not the whole situation. In gro
und that is trashy and/or heavily mineralised, especially then the nox can be chattery even when noise cancelled and ground balanced. Raising the iron bias will then cause the chatter to be classified as iron and reduce the false alerts accordingly. 
That should be part of your routine if you want to quieten you machine. This effect happens in all metal and discrimination modes. But in all metal mode, the false will
become an iron grunt and in disc it will be silent (assuming you have the audio set up that way). Yes, a high iron bias may lose you some masked objects. But the advantage is you won’t go crazy and you can perhaps cover more ground because you’re not having to double check false signals to see if they reoccur.
Manage

2 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

Raising the iron bias will then cause the chatter to be classified as iron and reduce the false alerts accordingly. 
That should be part of your routine if you want to quieten you machine. This effect happens in all metal and discrimination modes. But in all metal mode, the false will
become an iron grunt and in disc it will be silent (assuming you have the audio set up that way).

Is he talking about a specific detector?  The only detector I have with an iron bias adjustment is the Minelab Equinox 800, and it doesn't seem that what he's saying here (emphasized part) fits my knowledge of it.

To me he’s talking a form of disc or pattern hunting.  It may work well for those with time limits much like a beach guy Recent drop hunting trying to cover as much beach as possible.....but it’s not something I’d do a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Iron bias - Minelab Equinox ,,is a bottlecap reject -at Whites detectors, ...such as Silencer -XP Deus, ORx,  Gold max power, detectors ... and settings - Mask at Rutus Detectors ...Personally, I've been influenced by the Iron bias settings ...on the  detector   work... first seen by my detector Rutus Argo , and Whites SpectraV3 ..

If you want the maximum separation and the response in the iron, and for the work in the mineralized earth,and depth ...and the partial iron-non-ferrous signals to use Zero or Low iron bias settings-0-1-or 2-max..Setting the Iron bias-the signal filter affects not only the audio signal but also the correct identification and discrimination - TID, so do not underestimate the setting...   Even when working on small,sniper coils...

For lesser  iron infested conditions, or specific conditions, you can adjust the setting to the Iron Bias from 3- to7-8...its compromise..you get less false signals from the iron, and average separation..-You can make this setting yourself over some signals directly in the terrain. 

Iron Bias 9... it very much suppresses the separation ...   but I recommend saving it to the a User  program to compare Signal ...

• Like 4

My comment is kind of unfair since everything that follows that sentence is good advice. But yes, it is a filter, and does affect how well you can detect targets. In my book if one setting hits a target, and one setting misses the target, the setting that hits the target is “going deeper”. I guess you can argue the machine is not going deeper, and just changing how it decides what to beep on, but it all boils down to the same thing - a filter that suppresses targets or lets them through. The gem in the comment is that the filtering applies both to the ground and to targets, and can aid in suppressing ground signals.

EL NINO77’s points out this is no different than what we see on other machines, the White’s “bottlecap reject” setting being a perfect example.

White’s DFX Bottlecap Reject

Adjusts how strongly the instrument rejects or breaks up on iron. Most starting programs use the minimum setting. As larger numbers are selected, more bias rejection against iron occurs.

The advantage of higher BOTTLECAP REJECT settings is that in high trash areas more decisive iron rejection occurs. Trash becomes easier to identify by the broken sounds they produce.

The disadvantage of a high Bottlecap Rejection setting is if an iron target is close to a good metal, the high degree of bias against iron may cause the detector to cancel both responses. Another disadvantage is that all targets, iron and non-iron, tend to start sounding more broken at high levels of BOTTLECAP REJECT. The operator needs to fine tune BOTTLECAP REJECT according to their preferences and the conditions being searched.

Some ground conditions make it difficult for the instrument to recognize iron. BOTTLECAP REJECT allows compensation for these areas.

• Like 4