One Brain Cell Working AKA Deus Chronicles

goldbrick

I was spaced out, staring out the window with my mouth hanging open,contemplating the vagaries that occur in our lives when I was struck by a revelation. Maybe my detector isn't a P.O.S., maybe it is broken?

The problem is my XP Deus is very noisy in All Metal mode. In the highly variable ground of N. California I can not get it to run quiet in AM. The ground grab function does not get an exacting enough GB so I am forced to manually GB the Deus. It will run smooth for a few feet but then start yakking at me. Re-GB and repeat the scenario ad nauseam. Auto tracking is just as noisy. I have found gold with it listening through the noise but it is mentally fatiguing to try to determine a faint target or is it noise? The Discriminate modes run quiet, the machine is a real peach for coin and relic hunting but All Metal mode just sucks and its bringing me down.

I know Ray, Scott, Steve and hopefully others on here own a Deus or did. Have your machines exhibited the same behavior? What say you gentlemen?

Thanks,

Merton

Merton, 

I too have had the same problems. You have to notch about everything to quiet it down. I have found a little gold with it,but only near mild bedrock. IDK where Klunker took you in the past couple days. But seems to me,everything in this county is hot ground. I just don't see much use using a VLF looking for gold around here. I did get the douche to run fairly quiet near Rye Patch. 

BTW. I stopped by Klunkers shop on Friday afternoon to say hello. But I guess you guys were still out in the fields.  :)

Scott, sorry we missed you,  did not get in until late on Friday. I would have enjoyed BSing. I would suggest a rendezvous but I have since departed the county. I need to be in Oregon on the 10th so I did not want my fifth wheel to be  stuck on the wrong side of Siskiyou Summit due to the snow they have forecast. Darn weather is good all winter then the first chance I get to have a little fun it starts snowing(what did I say about lifes vagaries?) I will return in July, I will send you a PM.

You are correct about the hot ground there and VLFs. When the Fe meter is one bar from being pegged I don't think a guy will obtain much depth even if you can find a machine to run quieter.

Steve, I regret selling my Gold Bug Pro to my little sister, if I had not I could cross check the machines. As it is now I am left guessing the reasons for the goldfield programs noisiness. So I ordered a Makro Racer Pro Package last night. Unlike the Deus  I hope it will be a good all-rounder for coin, relics, and NUGGETS. I grew tired of waiting on Gold Racer so I used the same reasoning you had for liking the F-75 for a gold machine. ( If I want to find fly-poop I will use my GB2) I considered the F19 but the deal breaker there is no three tone mode.

• Like 1

Excellent, we can compare notes on the Racer. Mine will be getting use nugget hunting soon. It is more than capable and I have just been too busy with other stuff so I used the Gold Racer as an excuse to sort of ignore the Racer. Chris and I were out exploring hydraulic pits the last few days (more hiking than detecting) and all I took was my GPZ. Yesterday I looked at Chris and swore I would never ever be caught out without a VLF handy ever again.

I can tell you this. My Racer comes with gain set at 70. There are some kind of break points at 69 and 39 and so if you get into bad ground and lots of overloads dropping to 69 can do wonders. Do not overlook beach mode for dealing with bad ground either. I am still experimenting and comparing to FORS CoRe and FORS Gold and may have more to say later.

I found the am mode to be very stable and quite,compared to the gb pro. You do have to really keep an eye on the gb...I manually adjusted. Maybe your ground is just more extreme than mine?

Steve, if things work out I will be able to use my new Racer in the pocket gold country of S. Oregon later this month. If I do I will file a report(hopefully about all the nuggets I have found with it)good or bad.

Scott, I am so glad I did not have to leave my fifth wheel down there. Klunker would probably scrap it out and I would be tent camping before I knew it!

Ray, Steve's and your report just confounds me but I sure appreciate you posting your results. When I had the Deus in NV I could calm it down but it was still warbly? Every where I have used it in CA it has been noisy, the ground I have been hunting recently is hot stuff, dang near pegs the Fe meter. I think when the holiday weekend is over I will call Detector Electronics and ask about a tune-up. It ain't going in until my Racer arrives though.

• Like 1

Goldbrick, hope you'll forgive a newb hijacking this thread, but the relevant thread (from Feb 2014) is locked. Last year you talked about contacting XP and making suggestions for future upgrades/downloads to the goldfields program. I'd be interested to know if you or Steve ever talked to them. I'm a new Deus owner, and I sure think it would be fantastic if XP would listen to an experienced prospector/group of prospectors to take the machine to the next level in terms of nugget shooting. 

best

Will

" I think I will follow your latest suggestion and contact XP. If they would make some mod's to the goldfield program I could cut down on the number of detectors I take on certain forays. After too many hours of getting the skunk nugget hunting I like to switch to coin and relic if there are any old sites nearby. It always refreshes my attitude as I dream of the cool finds I could make. The Deus  has the potential to become a first class "all-a-rounder" with a few changes."