Here are my best finds from my last two trips with my new Equinox 800.  The site is an old plantation that has been under continual cultivation since the 1830's.   All detecting took place in plowed fields with over 180 years of accumulated nails, iron farm implements, and assorted trash.  Running the 800 with no discrimination sounds like machine gun fire due to the massive amounts of nails and other iron (I wasn't searching this way though!).  I was running the 800 mostly in Field 1 and occasionally in Field 2.  Field 1 was a touch quieter. 

I found 6 Tax Tokens, a V nickel, a buff, and one Jefferson nickel; 5 pennies including one IH;  one merc and one 1876 Carson City seated liberty dime.  I was very excited about the CC dime since this is a Mississippi site and I have never found one before.  Unfortunately both dimes have plow marks.  This is not uncommon considering the amount of cultivation.

Additional finds included a nice flat button, bridle boss, several brass rivets, heel plate, and other whatzits.  The smaller rivet was fairly deep.

Considering the amount of trash I was very impressed with the 800.

IMG_2141.JPG

IMG_2139.JPG

IMG_2140.JPG

• Like 6

Nice!  Although that Carson City dime has one of the highest mintages of any -CC in any denomination, it's still a great find, particularly in the Eastern US.  The condition of your two dimes are pretty high except for the dings, which unfortunately degrade them severely (as I'm sure you know).  Still, that -CC is a trophy in my book.

• Like 1

Thanks GB!

Most, if not all, of my older silver finds are New Orleans mint marks.  I suspect that in Mississippi you are more likely to find a Mexico City minted Spanish coin than a CC minted dime (portions of South Mississippi having been under Spanish control).  I am thinking about putting one of the dimes in a silver bezel for my wife to wear on a necklace (she was nice and bought me the 800 for Christmas). 

I have been very impressed with how much the 800 likes round coin shaped objects.

I can't wait for deer season to end so I can safely get onto wooded sites with little trash. LOL