$300 Waterproof Beach Pi Detector

I posted this last month on an old thread in the Metal Detector Advice about the Vallon mine detectors.  The consensus was that as nugget hunters they might not be so great.  While I have no data on that, I suspect that they might be pretty good except on extreme OZ ground - probably equal to or Better than a TDI.  As a beach machine however, they present a really interesting possibility.

I have now checked out the 2 I bought on eBay from Poland and they both work fine.  Here’s what I posted, followed by a bit of an update....They are a good bit lighter than an ATX - about like a TDI.  3 D cells, but you can use AA to D adapters and lighten that up - the power consumption is quite low and so  that works, but get the ones which take 2 AA’s pr adapter so you can use 4 or 5 for longer run time, the machine runs on 3 - 4.5 volts - pretty remarkable engineering for a PI.

Blast from the past on this 2 year old thread.

I just ordered two of them from Poland.

I took the plunge after tracking the ongoing (67 pages now) thread on Geotec.  The thread was started by Eric Foster - noted PI detector designer - and is clearly showing that the Vallon VHM3CS is a very capable and interesting beach and relic machine - and may be useful for native gold as well.

http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?23169-Vallon-VMH3CS-Mine-Detector - the pics below are from Eric.  The top ones shows a transformer box for conventional headset - see below.

So, now I have them, I have done some simple functional checks.  They detect a nickel buried in a wash here in AZ 13” down - about what a TDI will do.  The interesting news is the the Vallon agent in the US will update the software to the latest version - free.  If the units are sent postpaid both ways!  So $199 on eBay, $67 shipping, and you have a useful non-discriminating beach PI for under $300.

They come with the case which is really nice, heavy-duty canvas with shoulder straps and a “one-ear” headset.  The headset connector is a milspec item but the wiring diagram is published and the mating plug is $8 surplus online - Piezo phones only unless you build a transformer in the circuit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Army-metal-detector-VALLON-VMH3CS-Working-condition-BROKEN-ARMREST/282998790673?hash=item41e40ada11%3Ag%3AOqoAAOSwAnhbGTdX&LH_BIN=1

498DEF1A-2327-481B-AE45-A2337BC37314.jpeg

3A10548E-32DF-471A-B62D-F62FC1541B47.jpeg

• Like 5

Rick, I have played with the VMH3CS extensively as well, and for a non-motion metal detector they pack some serious punch, even with the factory small coil. I would argue they hit even deeper than a white's TDI on coin size targets.

They are definitely not a machine for the gold fields. Although they can handle difficult ground mineralization, exceptionally well, in my view the sensitivity just isn't there at depth for small gold. (The tool can be used for the job, but it definitely isn't the BEST tool.)

If all an individual is after is larger than gram gold, and/or coins and relics, they are fantastic little machine - as are most of the units that Vallon has produced. 

The mosquito-esque piezo will wear on you after a while!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1