Would You Like To Be One Of The Testers On A New Detector

I was just wondering if you had the opportunity to test a new detector before it came on the market would you be willing to do it ?

Most of the time it’s given to people you could say that their name is in lights . We have so many people that has been swinging a detector for years that are more  qualified than the so call star .

Let me hear your view point on this subject . If you ever have the pleasure or opportunity  to do it in the pass let us hear that too .

Chuck 

39 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Most of the time it’s given to people you could say that their name is in lights . We have so many people that has been swinging a detector for years that are more  qualified than the so call star.

I have to agree with you about the people testing detectors for White's and other detector manufacturers. Though White's did a better job this time on the testing of the 24K. Some are very qualified to test and give a honest report on a new detector and some are there to promote the social media end of the business and I'm not sure what that exactly does for the seasoned metal detector user.

No, I don't think so, although I'd be flattered (and surprised) to be asked.  I hardly manage the time to swing my own detectors and can't really afford to do more unpaid work ?  As to why manufacturers are more likely to select "famous" detectorists to do the testing, part of it may be simply that they are more likely to know of their existence.  In any case, while the experience is no doubt interesting for those who can manage the time, it doesn't seem to do much to help early adopters make their decisions, due to the nondisclosure agreements.

Not that I would ever get that call :laugh:, but I would pass. I bet it requires a lot of time and I would be very disappointed if I found an area that needed improvement and they just ignored the suggestion. Plus the extra time needed to do the social media would kill me.  I'm not patient enough to respond to the flood of inquiries that come your way. Everyone wants to know everything about the new machine and you can only tell them vague, watered down information.

My contributions in that regard are at an end. It’s basically working for others for free and detracts from regular detecting. It was a lot of fun in the early days when people wanted information and were appreciative of it. These days however people don’t want to hear from industry experts and insiders. It’s all about getting YouTube reports from “regular users”. People with industry connections are now looked upon with suspicion and so for me personally I don’t see the point anymore. I purposefully took on testing/reporting on the Goldmaster 24K as a bookend to my reporting efforts. It started with me and White’s ages ago and so it seemed fitting that I wrap it up with White’s. :smile:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Depending on the company and the scope of the work I would consider it.

However the concept of "tester" seems to be kinda new and directly associated with unpaid peer to peer advertising rather then actual testing in the traditional sense. 

Testing is usually done behind closed doors and performance is usually tight lipped, rather then say the hoover boys and the girl with the purple hair asking for a volume control on a youtube video. It's a legitimate question, but the machines already built at that point, these people where just pawns used to cover up a slow roll out.  It's sales tactics to keep people waiting rather then buying from a competitor, they all do it now. 

Under that guise I suppose I would not be suitable as a "tester", due to lack of media following and not wanting to conflate equipment trials with advertising to begin with. I have nothing against sales and advertising per se.

If somebody wanted to give a bit of compensation in exchange for some testing that somehow requires my hours of experience, that might be alright. That brings up the question does all testing have to be done by an experienced operator? This brings us back around to Steve's point about regular users on youtube. The third generation ATPro that amounted to a sticker change, so why the roll-out at all? Free advertising. The question is moot unless you are a influencer, a job so new it doesn't even come up on the spell check here. lol

Infuencers are great for selling detectors, not making them.

There are many types of testing that grade one into the other with lots of overlap depending on the situation. Here is a short essay by detector engineer guru Dave Johnson that describes some of the differences....

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/davejohnson/field-testing-essay.htm

• Like 3