Squadron 518 " We Hold The Key "

croped.jpg.2f7a959828bb3811a284b02d177a18e9.jpg                                                                                                                                   I just fired up the Lobo and placed the coil to the ground, then it beeped or quacked as some would have it but I like the sound's my Lobo makes. I'm starting to understand it with every hour we spend together and I think we have begun a fine relationship with each other, for she rewarded me with my very best find ever. The target was positive as I waved the coil over the ground , so I then began to recover the item and I popped out this badge which was covered with a fair amount of soil. Just like most of the other badges that I find I just put them in the bag and carry on but then when I got home I couldn't find it and was worried I'd have to look for it again. Then my wife said here it is thank goodness she found it, so we cleaned it up with some water to take a closer look.  

This is where it get's interesting, I can see now that it's a R.A.F. Squadron Badge. So I look for the Squad number and it showed 518, then I thought I've heard of this Squadron somewhere before, then it hit me D-Day these guy's radioed Churchill directly from the plane confirming the weather was good enough for the landing of D-Day. I could not believe what I had in my hand, a Squadron Badge from the 518 Squadron. So I did some background work and found out that it's the real deal. Some insignias show the hand holding the key to the right but mine was facing to the left so I checked some more on this and it is supposed to face left.

I do hope we have some WW II historians with us so they could give me some more information on what I have found. I also know there were 28 flights in the Squadron with 8 men crews so that's only 224 men in this squadron. I also found out that to this day, some of the where bouts' of couple of these guy's is still unknown one from Australia. Man this is real live history I have here, there's so much information on this Squadron and it's a great story too, so if you haven't heard about these guy's you should check it out for sure. Now if you are familiar with this story, please pass on what information you could supply me with. This must have a lot of historic value and speaking of value what would you think it would be worth to the right buyer? 

My question now is, should I have it restored or do we leave these kind of things alone? This is my best find ever and a day I'll never forget. I found some real live history about 70 Year old iconic world history.  This is Great I Love My Lobo.

B.T.W.  My camera is Sh#*, so please excuse the photography and my other camera is also no, is a digital microscope and can only zoom out to 50X.      

http://www.oldnautibits.com/features/aerofeature5.php

http://www.aniodhlann.org.uk/tag/518_squadron/

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/No._518_Squadron_RAF

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/raf-518-squadron-coastal-command-480919770

Scan_20190113.jpg

Wed Jan 09 18-48-24.jpg

Wed Jan 09 18-48-40.jpg

2016_0118_231525_001.JPG

Wed Jan 09 18-48-53.jpg

Wed Jan 09 18-12-04.jpg

Wed Jan 09 18-38-33.jpg

Wed Jan 09 18-10-28.jpg

2008.83.1.jpg

q178.jpg

halifax.jpg

artifacts1_b.jpg

logbook_b.jpg

n128.jpg

SDC10764.thumb.JPG.7d300a43f8881e5f38c884da0cbbfae4.JPGSDC10762.thumb.JPG.efbed5a4063e5869babe70ba7ed24caa.JPGmet_map_thm.gif

SDC10771.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Wow Lobo, that is a great find. What country did you find it in? I assume England or France? Please keep us posted on your search for origin and restoration.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks Mike I thought so too, well this story keeps getting better, for it was found here in New Zealand just the other day and have only just started detecting, about three weeks now. I bought the Lobo for seeking out gold but never got the chance to go into the gold bearing areas yet. So I'm trying my Lobo out at an old local sports field where I would find some Pre--Decimal N.Z. coins, kids toy cars and lots of ring pulls those dam things give me nightmares.  Yes I will keep everyone posted on this cool find but I'm not to sure if I should have it restored or not just yet. I will wait till I get some solid advice on how to preserve this artifact. When I get a new camera or borrow one I will post better quality pictures for you.  

• Like 1

Great find, but how the heck did it get to New Zealand?

Restoration is always a questionable practice before you find out what something is worth and who may want it.  If a museum in the UK would like to have it, for example, they might prefer it be "as found".  Suppose they know the reason it was on the coast of NZ.  It might carry more meaning if it shows that it was dropped during exercises, etc.  I'd hold off until you know more.

Glad to hear the Tesoro Lobo Supertraq is still making good finds, particularly something outside of its intended use.  Dare I say "another detector that Dave Johnson had a hand in producing"?

• Like 1

I put up some better pictures for all to see. I hope you enjoy them. Paul.

SDC10813.JPG

SDC10817.JPG

SDC10818.JPG

SDC10819.JPG

SDC11280.JPG

SDC11281.JPG

SDC11278.jpg

SDC11277.JPG

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Neil, is that in the first squad photo along the fuselage or the second one along the wing?

Real nice. Quite beautiful to say the least.