Hello Everyone, My Name Is Therell And I Am An Addict....

spencer@wy

Brief intro-just starting out, located in central wy. near atlantic city/south pass area. Main focus is gold prospecting. purchased nokta fors gold pro package-kelly co, used gm v/sat-neighbor, a gmt-ebay, and an sd2100 through jim garlock. Dad just purchased gold bug 2 two coil package and mom got gm v/sat as well.
Yesterday was fourth trip out, i use my nokta as primary machine. no gold yet but bullets, nails, tacks, tabs etc. Down to 8" on some targets.
Have tested all machines with 1-2 pwt nugget at 1-2" with all showing similar results but the sd2100. How big should piece should 11" coil see @ 1"? How bout ole 18" mono coil? Lou got alot of use out of old sd, had to apply coat of resin to 18" coil.
Does anyone know if to much resin re-coat(thickness) would hinder coil performance?

I look forward to all the info i will recieve, the people i will encounter and the education i will gain from all. thanks and good hunting.
any questions?

Epoxy or resin should not have an effect on the coil so long as there is not any kind of metal particles in it as to how thick i have seen guys put on a layer about as thick as the skid cover(1/16 of an inch) . That is nice country over by Atlantic city used to come over and detect on the tailing piles along rock creek but have not made the drive over from Sheridan in quiet some time.

Beatup, i ve probably got it on closer to 1/8 or 5/32nds. was thinking about getting piece of large belt sand paper and thinning her down, i probly added 1/2 lb to the damn thing.

my buddy has access to 4.5 miles of rock creek and detecting can be had for 50/50 split if memory serves me correctly. i was thinkin bout seeing if we could scrape short distance of piles to a workable(with detector) thickness. Any thoughts?

Another Wyoming guy here, Casper for me. Funny I never met another soul detecting for gold my entire life out there and now 2 on the same forum. I've wanted to hit those Rock Creek tailing piles for a decade but as I recall they were are all private or claimed.

If your buddy has private access you might consider dredging too I have three of em of all different sizes if you want to give it a try sometime when I am back in state.

That SD will hit on a 1-2 pennyweight nugget a lot deeper then the VLF's will. I'd be giving it a shot on the tailing piles while your parents run their VLF's at the same time looking for smaller stuff or working the trashier piles, those are some fairly large and deep piles of rock. Find one where you are hitting gold and rake it down and run the VLF's over it too since smaller gold is much more common than larger nuggets in that area.

That resin shouldn't affect sensitivity unless it's conductive in some way. Check the ingredients.

Jasong, surprised me as well. gonna check with buddy to verify access to tailings and associated area on rock creek. my buddy- retired w/ 3 claims in gen area, been teaching and helping me learn ropes. Nearly all of rock creek is claimed or private. Ive been at other areas as of yet, just barely acessable last week. I need to take the time this week to get all my ownership/acessability issues figured out. maybe could plan field trip day. as none of us really experienced like to have several people w/ several machines out there.

Btw: perhaps i was wrong in 1-2 pwt my little test piece is about dia. match stick 2x long. sub-grain, 11 or 18 mono didnt register that small amt at coil with sd. All others good to 1-2" distant with tiny nugget.?

thanks for the welcomes.

Look forward to hearing and sharing stories.

Yeah get your ducks in line with access, and have printouts too. I'm not sure who owns those tailings I just remember a lot of them being private and asking around in Atlantic City with no luck. Assesors office would tell you. Back in the early 2000's there was a guy out there across the river by the Dickie Springs paleoplacer walking around with a shotgun on his claims warning people not to prospect anywhere and that everything around there was his (wasn't true) and would approach you even if you weren't on his claims. Not sure if that gem is still around or not, but know where you are at all times. Some people thought they were paper millionaires after Hausel's articles on the area and then the Star Tribune started publishing stories as well later. I imagine it's calmed down quite a bit since then though, last time I was out there 2007 or so I didn't see anyone else anywhere.

Do you mean pennyweight or grains? An 18" mono will probably not hit a 1-2 grainer unless maybe touching the coil right on edge. You could probably get a 2 grainer at 1" with the 11" mono, at least with a GPX series you could but not sure about the SD2100 as that machine was before my time. That kind of gold is definitely in the VLF domain generally speaking though. I've hit 1 grainers with the GPZ at an inch but that's a different machine altogether.

I grew up in Green River and spent a lot time up in South Pass. Last time I was there prospecting there was a lot of claims everywhere and the state has a lot of land closed to prospecting. The ground is real hot because most of the belt is metamorphic basalt. I knew some guys that had SD series detectors when they first came out and they did real well. There was a club the WPAA that had some decent claims.

At the time i was able to get on to those claims was through the WPA club(wyoming prospectors association),I was able to find gold from .5 to 2 grams i was using a gpx4000 with a DD coil either the stock 11 round or a commander 10 inch elip.

Fully intend to have ducks in a row, wouldnt do any place i m not sure of. i know a fella, his assoc. has 880 acres claimed at dickie springs and depending on alcohol content could have been that crazy sob. lol.

All of the people i ve ran in to up there have been nice people, let me amatuer prospect on their claims or otherwise just been friendly. it has calmed down i think from when you guys were here. also been alot of abandoned claims past couple years. the state really has closed or restricted most of the better prospecting spots.

i still however believe that there should be a couple nuggetts out there to b had by someone.

your right about weights, should have been .1-.2 pwt i think. i havent wieghed them yet.

i really havent had time uet to familiarize myself with the machines either.

Maybe i can sneak out this week for another run.

great hearing from all of you.

knowing what you know now would you at the start of your pusuit have bought best machine you could afford if you intended to put yourself where the gold has been found?