New Equinox 800 Problem

JohnnyRox

5 hours ago, 1848cal said:

Yes, zero speaker function with both the ML80 and the WM08 turned OFF, and without activating the wireless audio button on the detector. As I stated earlier, I have factory reset both the headphones AND the detector on multiple occasions and still the external speaker does not function at all. Even with my limited knowledge it's not too far of a stretch for me to believe that that external speaker should operate loud and clear when the wireless audio function is OFF on the detector.  And, regardless of whether the ML80, the WM08 or a combination of both are ON or not. I contacted Naperville and was given a postal voucher for this issue to be repaired as well as have it undergo a series of comprehensive tests to ensure of its integrity and of it maximum performance. I intend to send a blank page with my inquiry written on it for the service technician. Whether he/she will/can provide any information remains to be seen. I'll post it if anything comes from it.

Thanks.  I know it sounds like folks were giving you "advice" for things you already did, but if you look back and read through your posts it was not clear that you actually had the detector's wireless radio and/or the headphones and WM08 turned off when you described no sound coming from the speakers (even though you stated you were resetting the detector, that would not do anything if either wireless unit were powered on and you never explicitly said you had ALL the wireless stuff turned off).  If the radio is off or if both the WM08 and ML80 are off (even if the wireless radio is on), you should indeed have sound coming through the speaker.  Every time I initially turn on the detector, even with the wireless radio turned on and headphones on initially, it takes some brief period of time to connect to the wireless headphones, during this time I can clearly hear the power on initialization tones of the Equinox and EMI/ground noise/Target tones through the Equinox speaker until the wireless headphones connect.  By resetting the machine and the headphones you have eliminated any "intermediate" unstable states of the detector that could cause the speaker to be in an inconsistent locked-out state.  I agree that it sounds like you have an on-board audio or speaker problem and that ML service is required for your detector. 

Clear and concise information is crucial to help the service personnel troubleshoot and repair your issue.  I does sound like something the repair facility will be able to readily replicate but I would not leave anything to chance and lay out the following either in the note you send to them, or have it written down and available as a reference should they call you in the event they can't duplicate the issue.

Summary description of issue (what I have gathered from your posts, correct any information that is incorrect or missing):

No audio is coming from the Equinox Control Head Unit speaker.  (Verify that this has always been the case even before you ever paired wireless headphones to the unit - this is important information as it shows that the speaker has NEVER been working from the get go).

1.  You were able to successfully pair the Equinox to the wireless ML80 headphones and audio seems to be normal coming from them and the detector seemed to be operating normally.

2.  Similarly you were able to successfully pair the Equinox to the wireless WM08 module and normal audio came from it with Equinox headphones plugged into it (True?).

3. Did you ever plug a set of wired headphones into the back of the Equinox control head unit, or ensure that nothing is plugged into jack on the back of the control head unit - doing this verifies two things for the repair folks, that: 1) you do (or don't)get sound out of the headphone jack (no sound would indicate an audio circuit issue and not just a speaker issue) and 2) verifies the speaker is not cut out solely due to something being plugged into the rear headphone jack.  So if you DID DO THIS, provide that information to the repair center technician as well.

4.  Upon factory resetting both the Equinox and the headphones you were unable to get the speaker on the Equinox to work regardless of whether the wireless radio on the Equinox was turned off completely, and/or even if both the WM08 and ML80 headphones were turned off.

Having all these facts logically laid out and readily available for discussion or provided to the technician in writing should help eliminate unnecessary questions and the repair going down the wrong troubleshooting path when your detector arrives so you can get a repaired detector back in your hands as soon as possible.  

BTW - (for everyone reading) laying information out like this in a logical, complete but concise manner really helps the repair center folks (I've done tech support and the most difficult thing is not the actual technical troubleshooting but communication between the tech center and the folks having the problem).  Communicating effectively helps you by eliminating ambiguous and unnecessary information and gets your detector fixed sooner.  Also, If applicable, describe that you did any troubleshooting steps included in the manual to address the issue.  In this case, there are no troubleshooting steps for no sound coming from the speaker other than making sure you have detector volume turned up.  Which it was in this case, otherwise, 1848cal would not have been able to hear anything in the wireless speakers.

1848cal - good luck and hope you get your detector back soon.  I know it is a annoying to have your detector not working properly right out of the box.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

My wm08 module blue on light was inop so you would not know it was on. If it was on the speaker would have no sound. I was given a new WM08 by the store. I am so glad that I bought it at the local mining supply store.