Southern California Detector - Gold, Or Maybe...?

The nox may drive your head crazy with all its noises compared to other detectors. Its sensitivity was obvious but I was digging (beach) too much big and small junk compared to my CTX. The CTX isn’t known for being a great desert detector but it has the best ID capabilities. Watch some of the nox videos and pay attention to how often you hear and see erroneous ID indications. Yes maybe 70% of the time the right ID is there... with a CTX the right one is there 95% of the time. You can back off sensitivity and play with the recovery speed, but on the CTX it just works right.  A pulse might be worthy. My GP Extreme seemed to ignore foil at the beach but sense a gold ring way deeper than the CTX.  Just not waterproof.

• Like 1

Great thoughts @bklein! I admit to coveting a CTX 3030 but even used that’s a bit more than my budget allows, and would leave me far too broke to consider a second beach machine. ? I’m still keeping an eye out for a real steal on one... just in case. ?

Hi,

great to have you on this forum!!! 

If you are planning on lots of beach detecting and gold prospecting with maybe some parks thrown in you have it covered with your ACE 250 and an Equinox 800 with the 11" stock coil and the 6" coil. In addition to what phrunt said the small coil lets you turn up the sensitivity more in high ground noise mineralization and/or high EMI situations just by its smaller footprint. Mine will easily detect coin sized objects to 7" in mild soil conditions and will hit .25 gram and even less sized gold nuggets and large pickers down to 4" in some dirt.  What I really like about the Nox 800 prospecting is its excellent handling of hot rocks. I just hear a little groan from most of them or nothing at all. 

I have not found the Equinox 800 to be a noisy detector if I keep the sensitivity around 18 in the discrimination modes and set my disc at -2, -1, 0 or +1. If I hunt with the horseshoe button engaged with nothing disced from -9 to +40 then I will hear quite a bit of racket especially in 50 tones. The beach modes have been very stable for me and if things get noisy I just ground balance, noise cancel again and/or turn down the sensitivity.

The only other detectors that can kind of do it all are the Nokta Anfibio or Makro Multi Kruzer. They are great detectors and they have a really cool vibrate feature which works well under water so you don't really need headphones. They do not have simultaneous multi frequencies and they do not have as high a transmit frequency as the Equinox 800.  There is also the new ORX by XP which can be waterproofed for the occasional water hunt by adding an inexpensive kit.

good luck,

Jeff

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bklein said:

The nox may drive your head crazy with all its noises compared to other detectors.

Would you explain what you mean here?  This is the first I've heard about it (nor have I experienced it after 200 hours of use).

You probably have Sensitivity set to 17 or under then or it just depends on conditions or the detector itself.  Search for Barryklein on youtube and you’ll find my video channel that shows things I didn’t like. Some of these showed improvement with the new firmware. Mine was one that behaved differently after loading the same firmware twice.  Mine lost depth as Sensitivity was set under 20. Targets were rarely solid without variation while a CTX run after it on the same target was solid. Calabashdigger has a comparison video that shows this too - although he didn’t point it out. I detected beaches with mine for 8 months.  I have a park up the street that I can test at. 30 year old park though so no old targets. A guy came by with his eq800 and got $30 in quarters there in several hunts. The eq is great for that as nothing else in that target range.  I want gold rings though and they were anything 22 and lower.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:51 AM, bklein said:

Search for Barryklein on youtube and you’ll find my video channel that shows things I didn’t like.

Please link directly to things instead of telling people to go search for them. Videos can be posted here also. This is not a forum where such things are banned. :smile: Otherwise I have to take my time to go find them and add the links. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9kem8woYGfXIlDBTfbF9cw

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let y’all know again how much I appreciated your advice!

I decided metal detecting was silly and there’s no gold left in California anyway. 

Just kidding. Ordered my Equinox 800 today. Cannot WAIT!!! ?

-Julie

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks all! ? I’m seriously excited to get my new fancy toy! I do suspect I’ll be a bit overwhelmed at first though because I know I’ll want to try it on all the modes in all the places and won’t be patient and stick with just one thing. ?