GPX 5000 Help

Swegin

Here is my problem.      I bought this used and I know it's older then 3 years and it was working fine.   I can hear the threshold but I can't hear the target response.  In this case the target is a gram nugget.  I have a metal fire pit in my backyard and I have to put the coil about 6 inches from before I hear a response.  This problem comes and goes for what it's worth.  I have tried different coils with the same results, used those same coils on my 3000 and everything is dandy.   On the front panel I have the switches set as Fixed, Double D, Normal, and General.  ( I was using Double D coils)   I have tried the Factory preset and the problem is still there.    Any ideas before I sent this off to Minelab?

I don't know how large your fire pit is, but something sounds fishy...it should be wailing long before that. My initial thought would be some wacky settings but if the problem truly "comes and goes," like you say, factory reset isn't doing anything, it probably needs to be sent in. Maybe it took one too many knocks and got rattled. Good luck!?

Try a new battery (a friends or something?).

I have never used a GPX but there is a Cancel mode in there somewhere isn't there? 

Headphone or speaker connection issue?

Using a booster?  Flat battery in that? 

If you have any mono coils does it happen with them also? 

I have no idea, just guessing  ?

It never hurts to try another set of headphones and power cord as suggested already. I have lost signal threshold because of both of those. But if your issue is depth related then a call to Minelab may be in order.  Let us know how you make out. I often worry since My GPX has put up with rain, cold, and just the other day a taller than usual wave that found the control box :ohmy:. So far so good.  The other thing that comes to mind is that you bought the unit used. Did you verify that it is a genuine Minelab unit??