Moving Map Program

Hi,

I wonder if some of you that use moving maps programs could enlighten me how you use them in your day to day prospecting experience.

I may be using a dual sport motorcycle/powered paraglider this summer was interested in learning how you incorporate moving maps with vehicles (or walking)

Thx in advance,

Paul

Two affordable ones I know of and have used, Oziexplorer & Fugawi. Just google them, go to their websites, all instructions etc are built in. Oziexplorer comes in a shareware version for trial. I imagine your Mines or lands dept have downloadable digital maps in suitable formats. With Oziexplore you need the PC version to georeference and work your maps then transfer to your mobile device, either android, windows or pocket pc(containing respective version of Oziexplorer) as per instructions contained in help file. I rarely use a dedicated GPS now rather use mobile phone with Oziexplorer App installed. No network access required just uses phones inbuilt GPS. There is a fair amount of time required to get the hang of moving map software, but well worth the effort, to me a very important part of my prospecting.

Whilst I`m no expert, am totally self taught should you have any dramas I am very happy to assist through the forum of course if Steve approves, and also we are fortunate to have Gold Hound in the forum who uses such software as he has indicated in another thread.

• Like 1

I use a moving map program insralled on a 7in android tabet that I have in a rugged case.

I have a charger wired into my car and bike and special mounts attached to the dash of the car and bike handle bars, you can se it in our video on youtube when I am riding the bike.

It goes everywhere with me!

And I mark anything of interest on it and build a profile of the area and mark all my find's.

• Like 2

Paul,

Do you know where the nearest hospital will be on each flight?

Mitchel

• Like 1

OzieExplorer is a great app, but I might suggest checking out Backcountry Navigator just because it's more US centric. For instance you can add on BLM/Federal land ownership maps straightaway (they do cost money though), but also all US Topos (and aerials) are free and already set up by default. It'll save everything in GPX or KML so it's easy to transfer tracks waypoints geometry, etc to and from basically any program. 

I always have it running on my phone when I'm detecting and I map my finds, geology, and tracks with it.

If you want a lot more usability and room to grow and do custom mapping OzieExplorer looks to be the better program though. It's not the easiest to do custom imports or WMS feeds for offline caching in Backcountry Navigator.

Paul,

Do you know where the nearest hospital will be on each flight?

Mitchel

Im a ghost already Michel...lol

im probably safer in the air than on a dirt bike!!!!

Oh and I am the medic....i will have my aid bag with me!

And an eperb!!!! lolol