How Are Others Setting Up The Nox For Heavy Iron?

I finally got a permission that I have been wanting for a few years. It was a small church built somewhere around 1890. Later years it served as a school and it has a few acres. The new owner told me that he thought the structure had been rebuilt on the same foundation at some point. After getting there I immediately went to the front yard and started detecting. I couldn't believe how much iron was there. It has a blanket of small square nails in the entire front yard. I must assume that the original structure burned at some point.                                                                                                                                  How are you guys setting up the nox to deal with sites like this? Mode, sensitivity, speed , iron bias, etc.?? I have found a bunch of coins just past the iron zone so I suspect there are some good targets there. What's working for others? I do have the 6" coil.

• Like 1

I dial back my sensitivity to 14-16.  I still get solid hits on coins at 8" with 16 sens.  FeBias at 3.  Give it a shot and see what you think!  I do alright like that!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vez said:

I dial back my sensitivity to 14-16.  I still get solid hits on coins at 8" with 16 sens.  FeBias at 3.  Give it a shot and see what you think!  I do alright like that!

Thanks Vez. Sensitivity was one of my main concerns. 

• Like 1

I recently tried Field 1 in a nail bed. It defaults to 2 tones (low for iron and high for non ferrous), and the recovery is at 6. It is similar to the "pitch" program for the Deus. You could even turn the recovery speed up to 7 depending on the nail density. It did alert me to several non ferrous targets that I couldn't pick out in 5/50 tones.

• Like 5

I got a chance to try out some of these tips today and was very happy with the results. I was using the 6" coil.

Park1, sens 14-19, speed 6, fe 2, ran in 2 tones

I think the most important factor in hunting in heavy iron is getting your mind right. I planned on going slow and knew I was gonna dig some iron. I spent 4 hours in a 30x50 foot area of thick iron. I had to turn the iron volume down to 1. I managed to pull 21 coins out of an area that I had almost wrote off. Included 7 wheats and a merc.  Thanks for the tips.

20190122_174816.jpg

• Like 7