Docs Detecting Covers And Support Harnesses

Well out of the blue Doc or Doc's Detecting Supply of Las Vegas sent me a goodie bag with some product to look over. Thanks Doc! Before I begin I want you to know I did not request this stuff. In order to not look like I am trading favorable comments for gear I am going to use this stuff as prizes in various forum contests I have planned (best finds, etc.). All these goodies Doc sent me will be finding new homes in the near future so stay tuned.

I already have a few of Doc's products. I have one of his original Swingy Thingy support harnesses from over ten years ago. I don't use it per se but it remains in my detecting kit at all time "just in case". This is cool because Doc sent me the latest version of the Ultra Swingy Thingy to look at, and they are light years apart. The old one is little more than a strap and bungee. The new one is a full harness system.

original-swingy-thingy-detector-support-harness.jpg
Original Swingy Thingy detector support harness

I also have been using Doc's cover for the GPZ 7000 since the cover came out at the end of 2015. So I am already a little familiar with the product construction. I have not used my GPZ 7000 without that cover since the day I got it. It is a very well thought out protective cover system and I could not be happier with how mine has worked out.

post-1-0-95377200-1447984611.jpg
Doc's protective cover system for the Minelab GPZ 7000

Here is a look at the new covers for the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 and Minelab Equinox 600/800 models. The two covers are very similar.

Before I forget, I want to mention that I always apply a stick on screen saver to my metal detector displays before installing any of these loose fit type pod covers. Dust and grit will get into the inside of these covers no matter what you do, and the dust between the inside of the covers and the screen can abrade the screen. I look at the pod cover as a protective cover for the entire pod, but not ones that eliminate the need for a screen protector. If you have gone without and had no issues that's great. I still recommend using separate screen savers and always apply them to my new detectors before they ever see the field.

docs-detecting-covers-minelab-equinox-gold-monster.jpg
Docs' cover for the Minelab Equinox (left) and Minelab Gold Monster 1000 (right)

The Equinox cover is a two piece affair, with a cover for the display pod and the armrest cup. A new arm strap is included. The Gold Monster cover includes an additional item in the form of a small cover for the upright support post.

Again, new arm straps included. For those that do not like using an arm strap Doc includes a couple small velcro stick tabs that allow you to attach the cover more firmly to the arm cup using the velcro tabs.

docs-detecting-armrest-cover.jpg
Closeup of armrest cover showing cordura nylon and stitching details

Here is a little closer detail of the pod cover for the Minelab Equinox models...

docs-pod-cover-minelab-equinox.jpg
Detail of Doc's pod cover for the Minelab Equinox metal detector

The cover simply pulls down over the top of the pod once you disconnect the coil, then make the coil connection again once the cover is installed. Two velcro straps wrap around the bottom and back of the pod to pull it down and attach it firmly in place. Two velcro sticky tabs are included for those who wish attach the cover to the pod via internal velcro tabs. This could help keep the pod from shifting in place but most people won't need them. A nice touch is the little bit of stretch material forming a band that holds the charger cable more firmly in place while in use.

docs-minelab-equinox-pod-cover-detail.jpg
Equinox pod cover detail showing charger cable in place

As you can see in the photo above I put the cover over the little cap and strap that protects the physical headphone port when not in use. I never use wired headphones out of water and so this worked for me, but if you wanted easy access to the headphone plug port you would want to route the strap over the cover instead of under it.

The cover has two slots on each side to allow access to the Equinox pod side buttons. The thickness of the cover requires you push the tip of your finger into the slot to push the buttons, but this is easily done.

docs-pod-cover-minelab-equinox-side-view.jpg
Side view of Equinox cover showing button access slots

The Gold Monster pod cover is simpler, just pull over and secure with a velcro strap. As noted the Gold Monster cover set includes a cover for the upright battery compartment support post - see the first picture in the post.

docs-pod-cover-minelab-gold-monster.jpg
Detail of Doc's pod cover for the Minelab Gold Monster 1000

The bottom line is I found both these covers to be well designed and constructed. Visit the Doc's Detecting website for the latest information on pricing and availability.

Doc included the latest version of his Goldscreamer Brand Qweegle Bungee. Earlier versions I saw had a kind of bolt on attachment for the detector rod. This latest version attaches to the detector with a velcro strap clip not unlike the one that comes with the Minelab GPZ 7000. I really like this type of attachment since it will work on any rod size with no issues. What makes Doc's bungee unique is the quick adjustments at both ends of the bungee.

docs-qweegle-bungee.jpg
Doc's Goldscreamer Brand Qweegle Bungee

This is a nice stout bungee, and one that can be rigged to support almost any detector from any backpack or rucksack shoulder D-ring attachment point. However, for those in need Doc has made the Qweegle Bungee an integral part of the new Ultra Swingy Thingy harness.

The Ultra Swingy Thingy is basically a large "Y" or yoke. One wide padded strap goes down your back and attaches to your pants at the belt line. The strap splits behind your neck and drops large padded straps over each shoulder.

docs-harness.jpg
Harness rear attachment point

The front padded straps end in adjustable steel clips that attach the harness to the belt line of pants exactly the same way that suspenders work. There is also a front cross-strap at chest level to tie both sides of the harness assembly together for a snug fit. There are two super oversize rings on each shoulder, either one which can act as an attachment point for the Qweegle Bungee.

Click photo for closer view...

docs-detecting-ultra-swingy-thingy-metal-detector-support-harness.jpg
Details of the Ultra Swingy Thingy Harness with Qweegle Bungee

This, simply put, is a really great detector support system. Here is Doc's sales sheet below for the harness which has all kinds of details about the product.

If anyone has any questions on any details of these items including any requests for any photo details - please just ask. And like I noted, all these items will be featured soon as prizes in various contest activities I plan on offering to stir up a little more action on the forums. Thanks again Doc for this surprise package. Keep up the good work filling in the gaps in available detecting gear for the avid detectorists among us! ?

Doc's Ultra Swingy Thingy - click image fr larger version
docs-detecting-ultra-swingy-thingy metal-detector-support-harness.jpg

• Like 6

Dear Steve,

Thank you for the in depth review of my newest products.

A couple of things I would like to add and clarify.

#1  I agree 1000% with Steve, get yourself screen protector film to protect your screen from scratches.  A cover can even make scratches worse because the dirt gets between the cover and the plastic of the cover.  A screen protector stops the dirt from scratching your screen.

#2.  While the arm rest covers for the Gold Monster and Equinox look the same, (They are the same design style) THEY ARE NOT.  So always specify which machine you are ordering for.  If you lay one cover over the other you will see that the Gold Monster arm rest cover is significantly wider than the Equinox, which is narrow to match the dimensions of the plastic cuff.  I wish they were the same, then I wouldn't have to work with different dimension cuffs when we are fabricating them.

#3.  The extra "hook and loop" tabs on the Equinox cover is to achieve a perfect alignment of the small side holes, directly over the side buttons.  These are small buttons, two on each side of the detector and likewise the holes are small.  Accordingly I wanted those holes to stay directly aligned over the buttons.  In order to accomplish this we stitched a piece of LOOP inside the Equinox cover directly below the button holes,  Then we give you extra piece of adhesive backed HOOK.  You take these HOOK pieces and peel off the back to expose the adhesive.  Stick them on your detector directly below the 2 buttons on each side of the machine.  Now when you get the cover on, get those holes perfectly aligned and press down on the LOOP inside the cover and it will adhere to the adhesive backed HOOK that is on your detector and those holes will be, and will stay, perfectly aligned.

#4.  I know many of you have your own backpack or hydration system that you have rigged where you can use a bungee and it works well for you.  The only issue I have ever had with backpacks or hydration packs is the "D" rings are too small and they have a tendency to rotate so they actually hang like a "D" instead of a U.  That is why I had manufactured these large barred "O" rings.  The bar keeps them from rotating, and the large "O" means you can attach your bungee without even looking because it is such a large "target."  Those "O" rings are also available from me along with a piece of webbing so you can attach them to your favorite rig.  Inexpensive, $5 plus s&h.  They are tough NY-GLASS material.

Thanks again.  I just wanted Steve's opinion and input on these products, but I really appreciate the extensive review he did.

Have a wonderful 2019!  Keep you eyes peeled for several new innovations from Doc's Detecting Supply coming this year.

Doc
Doc's Detecting Supply

The largest Certified Minelab Dealer warehouse West of the Mississippi

1870792040_2017-04-1417_03.54(676x380).jpg.27df4674cbf2d5d8f56fa32d899a40c9.jpg

630681675_2017-05-0912_21_20.thumb.jpg.4e5efd54aa96bc8a4cf98d4e29eb6f6e.jpg1448104285_2017-04-2616_04_47.thumb.jpg.de34e06f762fa47e4a0d5ffb3e5292bd.jpg910442375_2017-05-0417_13_59.thumb.jpg.835075a92199d5ac285511ee1161b420.jpg

• Like 3

The Ultra Swingy Thingy looks the goods Doc.  Even the Original looked pretty simple and use-able.

Love the fact that it helps keep your pants up at the same time  ?

Doc,

Can the Goldscreamer Brand Qweegle Bungee be bought as a separate item from the Ultra Swingy Thing?  If so I couldn't find it on your website.

Thanks,

Michael

Bought the GPZ 7000 covers when I 1st purchased detector and really like the way my detector is protected, a must have for an investment like that..... So with that being said, when I win the Best Finds contest I will donate to a good home !!!!!!!  Haha !!!!!!!!!

On 1/23/2019 at 4:59 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Thanks for the extra details Doc - I fixed my incorrect note on the arm cup covers.

Anyone near Las Vegas should contact Doc for their Minelab detecting needs - could not ask to meet a nicer more helpful person!!

Thank you Steve, that is very nice of you to say.
Doc