Real Or Fake Spanish Coin?

I took my brother-in-law out detecting for his first time ever today. I had him set up with a Teknetics G2 with the ultimate coil. (That coil is a beast. It literally found a staple that he was looking for for a long time with the pinpointer.) Anyway, he found only a few coins

However, he did have a unique find for a soccer field in FL. I am attaching some pics hoping someone can shed some light on the find. It looked like, from a quick glance, that there was a goldish color covering a base metal. On my Equinox, it was a solid 17. It seems strange that someone would reproduce a coin that is so heavily worn.

Here are some pics he sent me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot_20190119-220305.png

Screenshot_20190119-220255.png

Screenshot_20190119-214535.png

• Like 3

It kind of has the look of old lead which makes me think it is a pewter coin, (replica) however I'm holding out hope for you that it is some type of silver coin. I'm not familiar with pirate coins or with how silver looks in your area after being buried for a while. In my area both land and water, I usually see various degrees of sulfide on the coin. (Dark toning)

All we have is the picture and the TID to go by. El Nino is doing good at the research, TID of 17 is hard to say, would have to see how big it is. I suppose a small pice of silver could hit at 17, perhaps a big pewter coin hits 17 TID as well.

Good luck, hope it's real.

• Like 2

If it's REALLY coin: 2 Escudos-size is 23mm-6-7 gram-gold..., in case it's a coin 4 Escudos- size is 29mm -13.8grams gold ...Under 17ID it should be a 23mm coin .....

But how writes Alluminati...., if it is an alloy - of lead, tin,... and under Id 17-18 you can find even the larger coin size ..

september 2018 iphone 5S 022_DxO-id.jpg

99% odds it's a fake. Looks to be cast, not struck. The goldish tint is probably what's left of the "gold" plating. Most likely some kid got it at a souvenir shop and lost it playing soccer.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Geotech said:

99% odds it's a fake. Looks to be cast, not struck. The goldish tint is probably what's left of the "gold" plating. Most likely some kid got it at a souvenir shop and lost it playing soccer.

... I agree.... The old Spanish coins are precisely work... silver -Aragonensis - Alfonzo I.  1104 -1134 ...year..det.Rutus Argo 6.6khz - ID 44.....  The Equinox would be 13 ID..

IMG_0270.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate all the replies. After holding it again and taking a close look, the pewter replica seems like it fits. It does not have the normal "ting" that silver has when dropped on a table. It also has too much gold-like covering to be tarnish. It looks to have been hit by the shovel which exposed bright metal.

IMG_20190120_173517.jpg

IMG_20190120_173458.jpg