AT Pro If You Already Have An Equinox?

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

How's the AT Pro going for your Mike? Is it as good as you remember it?   I had an opportunity to buy one cheap, probably still do...

You have a NOX 800; why would you want an AT Pro, other than to just have one..?

Curious, is all.. I have an AT Pro.. Really like it a lot.. It's a main machine of mine for where I live.. However, I bought it less than a year before the Equinox series was announced.. If I could have a do-over the day NOX was released I know which machine I would buy to have only one of the two and it wouldn't be an AT Pro.. Not that there's anything wrong with 'em, it's simply because they pale in comparison..

Sooo, it really is a curiosity to me why you want an ATP other than to just have it..? What function can it perform for you the E8 cannot..? This is not a cut or cut-down of any kind, I'd just really like to know / know your thoughts / reasoning..?

Swamp

• Like 1

Simon, does the photo show your finds on New Years Day with the Tek T2?  I'm guessing someone was pretty snockered to lose a 10 spot note.

I was hunting in a light drizzle a couple of months back with a bag tied around my detector and thought, you know, I should really get a wet weather detector for days like this.   I didn't want or need another full time detector, as I'm happy with the ones I already have.  I just needed one for those occasional wet weather days.  So looking at price vs use, the ATPro fit the bill.  The price was good enough that I wouldn't fret if it only got used a few times a year and I have enough confidence in it that those few times I would use it wouldn't be a bust because  I hadn't enough time on it to learn it. 

That was my reasoning.   Very happy with it, too.

HH
Mike  

• Like 3

Phrunt,

I bought one of the brand new Sport package deals that come with the little 5x8 coil for $400 + $25 buck for the headphone adapter = $425  total new.   I'm happy with it.   I will need to pick up a larger coil for it at some point as there are times I like a little more ground coverage.

It is very EMI resistant (more EMI resistant than my Gold Bug Pro) and sensitive enough for the majority of my target needs. 

If I had jumped on the Equinox band wagon I probably would never have looked at the AT series as I wouldn't have had the need for one.

shrug

HH
Mike  

• Like 3

I can't speak about the AT Pro and EMI, but I can speak about the AT Pro and salt..

As it's turned out I use my AT Pro exclusively as one of my beach detectors.. This was not my original intent, since I'd planned to use it as a rainy day off-beach detector much as Mike.. What it comes down to though is there really aren't all that many places to detect other than the beach along at least this part of inland coastal FL, or perhaps better put would be there aren't all that many off-beach locations ya want to detect -- due to the slither factor.. Even "domesticated" yards can have poison in 'em, much less mowed fields much less wild non-swampy areas.. The only reason I don't have any in mine is thanks to the black racer snake clan in this immediate area.. That, and for the few non-beach spots I detect I really like the way my Fisher F5 gets the job done.. It ain't broke so I ain't fixin' it lol..

Anyhowww.. I don't want to turn this into a review of the AT Pro so I'll just quickly say I like to run in PRO ZERO with the iron disc around 15 - 20 so as to not completely get rid of it and so I can hear all on mixed-metal hits.. Masking is almost never an issue here; I've yet to run into a nail over top of a piece of jewelry.. On the eight-position sens / depth scale I find I can keep it at five anywhere on the beach with no chatter whatsoever and only a tiny chirp if in the water and a wave hits the coil.. Six will give an end-of-swing small chirp most of the time and it's a bit more noisy in the water; no noticable depth gain..

Speaking of depth, it gets a measured 15" in wet sand on nickles, clad dimes / quarters.. Pre digging signal strength indicated to me it could have gotten deeper still.. It's also found tiny post ear rings in dry sand followed up by locating their even tinier pin backs -- small enough to hide behind grains of sand in my hand..

However, being completely honest with myself, when there's negative low tides and I'm able to "jump off the curb to scan the gutter" I believe the machine comes up just short for larger heavier gold.. With this being the machine's only beach fault as far as I've been able to tell, if conditions are such that I know I'm going to be working that edge I'll simply bring a deeper-seeking heavier gun.. If I'm not going to be able to work that line, no need to be lugging add'l weight when the AT Pro does an excellent job everywhere but..

Swamp

Oh -- Hey Simon.. Took me a while to locate this pix, but I love these finds too.
CCB_Find_US21_Wed160713.jpg.587db1a2712fae1c70ddd56728a1d89c.jpg

• Like 6