9 Volt Rechargeable Battery

Looking to buy rechargeable 9 volt battery`s. Wow a lot of options out there and I am clueless on all of it.

Any suggestions on battery type and brands. Also is their and difference on the chargers?

Seems the more I search the more confused I get.

HELP.

sjmpainter

You didn't say what detector you want this for. It's just some detectors have a long run time on a 9 volt battery than others. If you have a Harbor freight near you they have what you need cheap. Northern Tools has just good batteries with their name on them . I've found they have a long run time. I guess the best thing is look at the mah like I do on the AA batteries and they can go up too 3000 mah. The more it has the longer run time in your detector.

Best of luck.

Chuck Anders

I am running a Fisher F19 mainly.

It uses one Ea. Nine volt battery. I get the stated 15-20 hours from the Alkaline battery.

If I figure them correct, they have 600 MAH at 9.2 volts.

Tenergy  and Maha NIMH seem to get good reviews but are rated at 250-300 MAH and 9 volts.

I see the Lithium and LIPO have a higher rating of around 600-700 MAH but the voltage is 8.4.

Seems to me the Lithium is equal to a Alkaline.

The owns manual states the volume will decrease at low voltage. Is there a impact to performance?

I think I should go with the highest MAH battery but I am unsure the effect the lower voltage will have?

Don't know what to tell you. I decided running at proper voltage was more important to me. The mAH rating being longer just gives you more running time between charges, and since we are talking rechargeables anyway that did not seem like a big deal to me. I used these in my Gold Bug Pro when I had it and it ran a long time but I charged again before the battery ran dead so have no idea how long they will run in hours.

Be careful as some Li-Ion batteries are actually a bit oversize and will not fit in your detector!

I have used the Tenergy that steves pics show and also the Li-lon from EB as well as standard Alks. I got about 12-15 hrs with the Tenegry, and about 17-20 with Li-Ions and Alks. in my GB Pro. Be careful how you store Li-lon batteries if you get them. They will melt if banged around allot. I had one melt a short time ago in my pocket and was glad i pulled the damn thing out fast because it quickly melted into a pile of plastic goo as my buddy and i thought shit good thing that wasnt in my machine. I still use them in my GB Pro because they recharge really fast and hold their charge well but will likely switch them out once they show sighns of needing replacement. I also remove them from the machine after every time out. I am allot more careful with them now. Got laughed at by a photographer i was discussing batteries with when i told him. He chuckled and said no shit man you never bang around Li-lon batteries, you pad them and carry them without anything resting against them.

In my tests the volt didnt seem to effect detecting ability - Good luck

AjR

A 9 volt battery could burn you good if in your pocket along with coins, tape over the terminals.

I always use Duracells, dunno about the other brands, 9 volts can be a bit expensive if non rechargeable is all I know.

How do you like the F19? Do you use it for coins, relics, or prospecting?

-Tom

Steve, good call on the dimension. The Lithium battery I was looking at is larger by a scoash. The F19 has a tight battery box and I doubt anything larger would fit.

Ajr, 12-15 Hours is plenty of run time I was worried they would only go for a couple of hours. Also - if they can not handle abuse., I should shy away. Having a meltdown in a 800,00 detector, that would ruin my day.

A  four pack with charger seems to be around 34.00. I just bought a Alkaline for 3.99. For a few less hours of run time it`s a no brainer.

Tvanwho, Prospecting is my main objective. I have been using it to coin shoot the local parks. Mainly because it is early in the season in Alaska and the ground is still froze. This is a new detector for me and still learning the ins and outs of it. The fist machine I own that has a display. I really like that. The discrimination is very accurate and although I have not used the all metal mode I can see that being great for gold as the bar graph still gives a metal reading. The ground balance is spot on and easy. This thing can cherry pick good stuff out of a cluster of trash extremely well. I do not relic hunt, but I can see those folks being really happy.

I just used my first battery so 15-20 hours. Estimated clad coins 10-15 dollars, one chain, one pendant and two rings. And the ground is still froze past the sod and I am way to lazy to go chipping ice.

Basically just an easy fun machine. 

• Like 1

Here is a good site for information on batteries:

BATTERY UNIVERSITY

Mike