phrunt

Xmas Break Detecting Adventure

Over Christmas/New Year I took off with my wife and daughter in my Caravan which I got imported from the UK for an adventure and to pick up the Caravan from Christchurch where the ships come in... for me it was a good chance to use my metal detectors.

I took along the Equinox 800, Gold Bug Pro, T2 on the first trip to Christchurch, a 7 hour drive from home.

IMG-20181223-175949-Copy.jpg.9265f5a56de37859651f64c3d4d14a89.jpg

My caravan, home away from home for my metal detecting adventures from now on

I've already done a post on a big part of the trip in this thread here as I bought the Ultimate coil for my GBP for beach detecting to take on this trip.

These were the coins found on that first part of the trip, nothing too special, mostly on the beaches around Christchurch

IMG-20190103-193934-Copy.jpg.07353866db67476f473ae2ee495bd587.jpg

Then I went to KiwiJW's area around Queenstown for the New Years period, they have a great fireworks show there and I was keen to detect the beach afterwards as it gets thousands of people on it for the show.  I went at 4am the next morning to detect the beach but in my haste to leave the Caravan while half asleep I picked up my Gold Monster and threw it in the car somehow thinking it was my Equinox 800.  When I arrived at the beach I realized I had the wrong detector with me. 

Fortunately I had my T2 buried under some blankets in the car as I brought it along for my wife to use if she did any detecting, there was no way I was going to go back to the Caravan and get the Nox as I had a small window of opportunity before people started arriving and sitting all over the beach to watch the sunrise, it seems to be on a bucket list of a lot of tourists.  My wife has decided the T2 isn't for her anymore and wants to only ever use the Gold Bug Pro with the Ultimate coil due to it's insanely accurate Target ID's, it's a great combination.  I had to dumb down to the T2 to about 50% gain on the beach area as there is a lot of EMI around there but I did pretty well with it, finding coins that I had missed on various occasions using my Nox.  I am certain I'd been over these places with the Nox, the beach isn't exactly big, it's long but only about 10 to 20 meters wide.

Summer-Queenstown-Bay-2010-25.jpg

I was very pleased with the performance of the T2 with Mars Tiger coil, it found coins the Nox missed, maybe they were too scratchy/random of a signal to dig on the Nox, maybe I mistook them for junk with it's smaller VDI range, or maybe the T2 just saw them better on the day, who knows... the crowds of people arrived about 5.30am as expected to watch the sunrise from the lakefront.... I was hoping they wouldn't being New Years day, sleeping off the booze but they were appeared on mass.

While in the area I also threw in my sluice in my favorite creek with my Dad, we went halves in the gold as we ran it for two days, we got about half a gram each.  I've tried my Dad on metal detecting, he just doesn't have the knack for it, and he broke his leg badly a couple of years ago so his leg is full of metal right down near his ankle, not ideal for detecting as it sets off the detector all the time.  He seems to enjoy sluicing though, if I ever ask he always wants to come along and it's fun doing it with him.  He's almost died twice now in the past few years, once from a big heart attack and then once from an infection which took over his body from the leg breaks surgery so it's nice to spend time with him doing something we both like doing. 

05-Copy.jpg.68e972a419801b1af06725a7ceeb6f43.jpg

Once I got home again after that trip I had to drive back up to Christchurch for a warranty repair on my Caravan as it had a window leak which they fixed up for me.

162476803_towingcaravan.jpg.2ab41c5f2cbefa3d317b28f990fee3d2.jpg

This trip we had more time so I did a lot more detecting, I also took along my GPX 4500 as on the first trip I was at a beach where my VLF's just couldn't work, too much black sand.

379921685_taylorsmistakebeach.jpg.8f92ae650cb242ca5a336c713b802a26.jpg

The GPX worked a treat here in the black sand where the VLF's struggled badly, I did find a few coins on this beach with it but nothing exceptional.  I quickly got sick of digging beer bottle tops as the GPX had poor discrimination using my 11" DD coil compared to using my VLF's... I got tired of digging junk all the time so I gave up.  I was pleased however that I was at least able to use the GPX here and it worked well, just a shame about the bottle tops.

We left Christchurch after two days there and getting the Caravan repair done to go to Dunedin, another large city in South Island terms for the remainder of the trip, I wanted to give the beaches there a go as well.  I also detected some parks in Dunedin and did better at them than the beaches.  The beaches were nice but very desolate of people... even on hot days nobody was around to drop their stuff for me to find ?

1279488013_IMG_20190112_122457beach.thumb.jpg.5f6159dae5f1da368554dd153868e65b.jpg

The footprints on this beach are mine from walking back and forward with my Gold Bug Pro, they're the only footprints on the beach and this is the main *popular* beach in the city.  Only a few minutes drive from the city center.  I found a few coins here, nothing exceptional as just so few people use the beach I guess nothing much gets lost.  Puzzled why it was empty all the time.  Nice weather, the water was warm enough for a swim, crystal clear water, nice sand... amazed it was always empty.

I had better luck in the parks at Dunedin with some quite good coin finds.  I also found a religious thing which is strange as it's very similar to one I found on another trip in Queenstown.

IMG_20190122_154656.thumb.jpg.bad65b4955a427c916f4cec696ab02c6.jpg

IMG_20190122_154753.thumb.jpg.007702d47a7f205d5a36057391d7ebf0.jpg

These two photos are the more odd finds I had over the entire XMAS period, two American coins, a Canadian coin, a Fiji coin and the usual NZ old coins and an Aussie coin.  The religious things are down the bottom, the one with NEW is the one I found this trip.  I didn't clean off the old penny coins as I'm not sure the best way to go about it with them being so old.  The other coins cleaned up pretty good.  I cleaned up the 1876 penny as it has had someone attempt to put a hole in it to make a neck pendant by the looks of it so I assumed it's value if any was already gone so I went and cleaned it up, it came up nice for such an old coin.  The second oldest coin was a 1936 US one cent.  The other coin a lot of you will recognize is a 1966 US 1/4 dollar, looks in good condition although there is a lot of wear on it.  It's not unusual to find foreign coins in NZ, we get almost the entire countries population in tourists each year.

When I dug the Canadian dollar I was a bit confused as it's Target ID on the GBP was all over the place yet without looking too hard I just put this dirty looking NZ $2 coin into my pocket, I didn't know at the time it was a Canadian dollar. I just assumed it was something else in the hole causing the Target ID to go wild.

I also found a lot of the more common NZ and Aussie coins, this is a photo of some of them, my wife put the lot of them in my metal detecting coin collection before I got a photo of them so I've only got a few of them that I got a photo of that weren't mixed in with the others.

2033691000_IMG_20190122_154924(Medium).thumb.jpg.9d0bfce1bdafd51541dd9db3a11a4536.jpg

Turned out a pretty fun break and a good learning experience.  I enjoy using my GBP with Ultimate coil as it's so light and has really good Target ID's, the Nox serves me well also but I was pleased the T2 came through with the goods on New Years day finding coins I've missed with the Nox.  The GPX ran perfectly in the black sand proving to me how well it really cancels out bad ground.  I don't really have a favorite detector anymore, I like them all, they're a nice little family ?

• Like 7

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Hardtimehermit
      Out waging the new wond around Reno, and finding out what the Equinox 800 is like. Thanks to so many of you veterans and just plain smart people my early days swinging the nox have been a pleasure. Here are some of my finds in my first two weeks. 

• By nugget hunter nz
      So took the gpz out for couple days were I hunt managed to find out that my extra waterproofing didn't work after 20 mins of first day with xcoil so was back to std 14 on day to all and all we had good trip pulled 5 grams for 2 days and 3 nice bits including this one 
      It was all creek hunting and was defanitly impressed the the zeds depth 

Just hoping with few days sun in a bag rice the xcoil will work normaly again.. Guess I will have to wait for nf coils to be realesed for water ones as the std 14 took on water to even tho they ment to be submersible to 1 mtr 
    • By GB_Amateur
      I've found the winter / New Year period a good time to reflect on the past and hope for the future, and that applies to my detecting as well.  Since I keep a log of finds (coins and jewelry) by year I can compare that part of detecting with the recent (starting in 2017) past.  Unlike previously, 2019 came up short in every meaningful quantified category:  total collectible coins, total Wheat pennies, total $-value of common coins, total days hunted, total hours hunted, average hours/hunt.
      The causes are many:  fewer permissions, fewer previously hunted parks & schools, very dry late summer / early autumn, less stamina with age(?).  Ironically all that on top of the fact that I had more free time since my work load was reduced more than half.  All of this needs to be addressed for 2020.
      In terms of gold hunting, as chronicled here I quadrupled (2 to 8 😁) my lifetime native gold finds with about the same number of hours/trips West, but that is almost completely due to the benevolence of a friend who took me to one of his gold producing sites and added some instruction along the way.  I'll be on my own in 2020 which means "research, research, research!"
      There are other valuable takeaways besides simply counting finds, though.  Knowledge is a big one, and required by me.  So what did I learn last year?  The biggest increase in knowledge was finally learning to listen to the quality of tones from the Minelab Equinox 800.  Along the way I went from a love/hate (exaggerated description of course) relationship to one of trust.  But that really didn't happen until the very end of the year.  You may recall I wrote a long, sad(?) post in August about a frustrating hunt of an 1850's homestead when I was driven bonkers by EMI.  That was in the heart of the dry season when not only do we lose depth due to the dry soil, but also (in good conscience) have to give up digging in public sites because of the inability of the grass/sod to heal itself.  I was at an all time low.  I can thank many of you for helping me make an attitude adjustment.
      One of the problems I had previously with trying to listen and learn sound/tone quality was that I just couldn't force myself to listen to '50 tones'.  What I realized is that you can get a big boost from listening to the quality of tones in 5 tone mode.  Another surprising occurrence which I can't explain is that EMI became much less of a problem.  I used to run gain of 20 max due to EMI, dropping to gain of 15 in some cases, and even being more/less forced to switch to single frequency mode (and never 5 kHz where the EMI was worst) if I was still getting bad EMI at gain of 15.  The last several hunts I was able to run quietly at gain of 22 consistently, including in a local park where I typically had to switch to single freq.  Yes, it could be temporal/seasonal variations in EMI but I don't think so.   I've hunted that particular park year round, morning through afternoon, weekdays and weekends.  Maybe the source of EMI was removed, but that doesn't explain my experiences at other locations which also gave EMI problems in the past, but not now.  I don't think it's the recovery speed (I've been running exclusively at 5), or mode (consistently Park 1).  However, I do wonder about the 2.0 software upgrade.  My loss of EMI problems has occurred since then although I don't recall it being like a switch being thrown.  I've been hunting Iron Bias F2=5 most of the time since I loaded that upgrade in software.  Is it possible ML made other changes which lessened EMI?  And, again, it may not have anything to do with the detector.  Unfortunately I haven't gotten a chance to return to that 1850's homestead give that really bad EMI a test.

I haven't posted a finds photo lately.  Shown above are the highlights of my last 4 hunts of 2019 (all after Christmas) and first 3 of 2020.  I found a silver coin in 6 of those 7 hunts.  The dolphin ring is sterling and note it isn't a closed ring (dolphins not touching) but still came up with a TID just above Zincoln (i.e. it was about 22 on the Eqx).  The bronze token is from a local (Southern Indiana) intercity bus lines which was in business from the 1920's through mid-60's.  The two items on the left are shown to emphasize the unmasking ability of the Eqx.  That large iron loop (have no idea what it is) was about 4 inches laterally and a couple inches deeper than one of the Mercs, which itself was 6 inches deep.  In another case, the wing nut (non-ferrous TID, but I don't know it's composition) was close to the surface.  I think it ID'ed in the pulltab zone and I dug it specifically to see if it was masking anything.  Six inches laterally and 8 inches deep was another Merc.  I don't know if the Eqx probably would have unmasked that (my guess is 'no') but it does show that removing undesirable targets will pay dividends.  That Merc and one of the others are the deepest dimes I've ever recovered.  None of the coins (including the Wheaties) are valuable date+MM.
      A few final points -- Steve H's online interview by Dick Stout prompted me to reread Coinhunting... In Depth.  A couple things jumped out from that book.  (I'm paraphrasing / reworking but I give him credit for these concepts, at least):  1) Why are you wasting your time returning to the same places you've hunted to death?  2) When you go out detecting, spend some time beforehand considering your goals; then keep them in mind during the hunt.  Thanks, Dick!  Those plus a few other things yet TBD are going to make 2020 my best year ever.

• By Steve Herschbach
      This is something you do not see very often, a $1 gold coin found metal detecting. A lot of traditional coin hunters would pass on something like this because it gets identified more as trash (it reads as foil) than a coin. Lots of $1 gold coins were lost but few are ever found. A good example of what digging all non-ferrous targets can accomplish in the right locations. Great find, one I would be thrilled to make. Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links
    • By steveg
      Hi all!
      It was a beautiful day here on Monday -- and my buddy and I got out for some digging. We hit a park that I had never hunted before, but he's been there several times over the years. As all of our city parks are, it's been well hunted, but after a couple of hours I lucked into a little "hot spot." It was a very small area, as it turns out -- maybe 30' x 30' maximum -- but I started hitting deep coins. Each one was at least 7" deep, but most of them were Garrett Pro-Pointer deep (8" to 9"), the deepest pushing 10". My guess is that for whatever reason, the coins ended up deeper than normal in this little area (I know a layer of sod had been installed here, as I was cutting through that plastic "mesh" underneath the grass layer), and that they ended up just deep enough that they were missed by most other hunters/other machines.
      Whatever the case, it's always nice to get into a little area that gives up coins like that; after I had hit several coins (enough to convince me there was something going on there) I called my buddy over to join in on the paydirt. All told, we managed 14 old coins from this tiny little area, plus a few buttons and other interesting items. It's been quite awhile since I've hit a little "hot spot" that was that productive, in a public spot...
      Here are my digs; I got several of these as "live digs" on video, so I may try to piece together a video (if I can give myself a crash course, and learn how to edit well enough)!
      (The Mercs are 1935-D, 1942, 1944, and 1945; the Rosie is 1959; the Wheats are 1920-D, 1937-D, 1941, and 1946, and the Buffalo is 1937).
      Thanks, all!
      Steve

• By Againstmywill
      I tend to save all my finds and put them on a tray until I have time to sort them. Last year it seemed like I had too little time to sort because the two trays hold a whole year's worth of junk, jewelry, and coins. I did have additional plastic bags partially filled so the trays wouldn't overflow too much. The box holds the change that came out of all that junk on the trays. There are no picks of the jewelry because I remove that as I come home after detecting. Just wanted to share with others new to the hobby so they know that there will be junk as well as awesome finds. I used to keep track of how much change I found on each hunt, but now I just take it in and cash it out for Amazon credit. So, I'm not sure how much the change is worth yet because I have yet to take it in.