Saturday's Frozen Ground Outing

Since Steve is looking for more pictures...

I did get out Saturday afternoon.  Temps said 30 deg, so figured it was a good day to see how my Vista Gold Gain likes colder weather.  I have been addicted to using it since trading for it in August, in any site that is not too infested with modern aluminum.  The part of the field I was hunting is usually very wet, and hence, freezes very solid...its kind of like frozen mud...once you disturb it...gets messy.  The frozen solid layer 2 weeks ago was only about 2 inches...Saturday it was about 5 inches.  A brief plug for anyone looking for a new shovel.  I have had my Lesche 38 ground shark d-handle for more than 3 years now.  It is indestructible.   It was taking 3 or 4 jumps per cut to get through the ice layer...then I basically pried using my weight to get the plug up.  The targets were mostly below the frozen stuff, so actually pinpointing and retrieving targets once the plug was out...pretty easy.

This spot produces its share of buttons...didnt disappoint this time, either.  VGG just nails the small stuff as easily as the larger items.  

The oval is a cufflink, it has a running fox on it...ozzie and I have both gotten multiple of these at this spot now, and I have multiples of the other ladies buttons from other hunts there as well.  The object just to the left of the spoon....It is a cast item, as it has a seam.  It is a decorative item, as it has two flowers on it.  I will post other pictures if I can manage to get it cleaned up any better. 

Temps have been so low the last 4 days...no shot at detecting now unless it warms up for a week or two...i shall hope.

20190119_171237.thumb.jpg.391835f541c472d36fc913f2cef10c22.jpg

• Like 5

On 1/25/2019 at 9:27 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Good man, that's persistence! I admit to being a wimp and waiting for warmer weather. :smile:

Lol, Steve !

The issue here in PA is...if you wait for it to get warm, it will get warm, but rain or be 100% humidity.  If you wait for the ground to dry out, you will get a drought.  If you wait for cooler weather, it drops to 0.  So, if you think the detector wont break...you just have to go when you can.  I have had the VGG out surrounded by a zipped plastic bag multiple times already due to rain....the advantage there is no reason whatsoever to look at it since there is no screen.