High Voltage Transmission Lines And Detecting

Hey everyone

Ive attached a lidar map of an area that i have permission for and am planning on detecting this coming weekend.  The thing that i know is going to be an issue is large high voltage transmission lines to the north east of the site (Green Line on map).  I plan on bringing all three of my detectors (GPX 4800, GM1000 and EQ800), as well as mono, DD and an a coil-tek anti-interference coil for the gpx.

Ive walked the site before and from that as well as looking at the lidar its still hard to figure out exactly what the old timers were doing in that small valley.  It almost seems like they were setting up to work it, then never did.  This particular area is known for rich bench deposits and supposedly quartz boulders on the ridge that had visible free gold in them at the surface (Probably along the vein trend line where they had shafts, red dashed line on the map).

Anyone have any ideas as to what the old timers plan of attack was for this small valley?  Also with those power lines so close do you think the mono coils and the EQ800 will work due to the emi?  Which detector would you use first and what would your plan of attack be.  

Im currently planning to focus on the southeast facing hill slope below the probable vein trend, starting with an 8 inch commander mono on the gpx.  

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

Mine overview.pdf

Thanks for the the insight.  Luckily the wind usually blows west to east here and the line are to the east of the site so hopefully that helps.  

Ill start with the 11 inch commander mono and if that is too noisy i plan on trying the 11x17 coil-tec AI coil.  Should be interesting since i have never had a chance to use it.  Anyone have any good setting advice for a gpx 4800 and 11x17 AI coil?  

Im hoping this area will be similar to other ones in the state where buddies of mine have found nuggets with detectors.  When they first started detecting their site which is in a different county, some of the gold nuggets were basically laying on the surface only covered by leaves and little topsoil.  If thats the case any of the detectors will find them.  

Ill try and take a bunch of pictures and videos, so you all can see the nugget hunting conditions on the east coast of the US.  

• Like 1

Got out detecting to the location i showed on the map at the beginning of the post.  Didnt find any gold with the detector, but found plenty of lead, old square nails and what i think is an old cobblers hammer which is pretty cool.  Found some color in the stream panning as well. 

The biggest thing that slows down the recovery of targets here in Virginia an on the east coast in general is roots roots and more roots.  Another thing that makes the detection of gold even more difficult then usual is about 2 inches of leaf material on the surface followed by usually at least 3 inches of organics topsoil, then you usually get down to either decomposed bedrock or alluvial bench gravels.  

Was still a great day out, and went over to another property near by and gold permission to dredge, metal detect and prospect about another 90 acres of land, on which a drag line and trommel where used up into the 1930's, and there are a number of hard rock shafts and prospecting trenches.  So a number of hard rock veins cross the property, with larger old gold mines on both of the adjacent properties.  Cant wait to get over there and dredge it and hit hard with detectors.  

20190126_124102.thumb.jpg.93ac0e69d47a87f45bc0a7a6f93e6484.jpg20190126_124059.thumb.jpg.4ce3d779f62891b7509ef0323038ce03.jpg20190126_121836.thumb.jpg.53e67ac6eaed51ff4d50df235fad2463.jpg20190126_113944.thumb.jpg.c07e8c9c7dff8fdaf6ab175a6968e414.jpg20190126_113856.thumb.jpg.c491bc49a812f29ce6cca7e82744bdb4.jpg20190126_113849.thumb.jpg.3564822651541960f780310b900ab213.jpg

• Like 7