Sign in to follow this  
calabash digger

Seated Dime Kinda Day..

Calabash 

In 1970 I was hunting a Fair Grounds that had stop having a Fair about 1945 . Here was this big bush and all I could do was just push the coil under it . After making a trip around that bush I came out with 5 seated dimes in great condition.

Oh thanks for another great video.

Chuck 

I always enjoy looking at your Civil War era finds, we do get some over here in Australia due to the influx of gold miners from the US - have found just a single Indian Head and an early 1800's Eagle buckle to date (with the Deus of course).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By devilsrenegade
      I was in Spokane Washington recently and the weather was finally nice and some of the snow had melted and l had a couple hrs. to kill so I grabbed the xterra 705 with a CORS strike multi freq. coil and went to work in a vacant lot in a old neighborhood the city had cleared of houses. about 20 min. into it this barber dime popped out of the ground. The lot was extremely trashy , l ran the 705 in 7.5 khz, discriminate all metal with 99 tones. I was getting iron tones every couple inches but still managed to pull this coin with the big coil. My first silver coin of 2019.  Just wanted to share . Best of luck this year to everyone on the forum !

• By DeltaDigger
      Groundscanner and I stumbled upon a spot and I pulled these three 1850 era half dimes out. I’m guessing the flat piece of lead with the “X” scratched in it is some type of game piece. Pretty good day. I was running the Nox on field 2. Thanks for looking!

• By SnohomishDigger
      Went to a park in a nearby town for the first time. I’ve been told it’s totally hunted out. Well, someone missed this 1907 V nickel. It was positioned a couple inches from a piece of trash metal. The 6-inch coil on my Nox 600 sniffed it out, no problem.

• By strick
      Between work and projects I've managed to get out on a few hunts. I bought my buddy an equinox 800 since he has been kind enough to let me run all around his ranches as if I own them myself. He has showed some interest in detecting...he thinks he's going to find a 1 pound gold nugget . After spending some time showing him how it works...I'd mark a target and then have him go over it and then dig it...he started to get the hang of it. So on our second outing he goes and finds a 1955 seated quarter (like Deathrays) but not in nearly as good condition. He was stoked and I wish i had brought my camera with me so I could get a pic of him smiling and holding the coin. 
      Been hitting some other locations near where I live. Old homesites and street tear outs. Day before yesterday was a quick but pleasant hunt. Dug the standing liberty and put it in my pocket so it would not get banged up in the pouch. I never look at items much in the field but wait till I get home. I was glad I put this coin in my pocket. I'm going to have to get it looked at just to make sure but I think it's the real deal.
      If anyone knows what the sun god thing was? kinda cool digging it and have that smiling back.
      HH to you all 
      strick 

• By Tometusns
      Well, after reading about the high number war nickels I finally got one at an old fairground in Kansas. Hits a solid 21.I was sure surprised to see a nickel in the hole. It's a 1943 s.

• By Gerry in Idaho
      I recently got carried away and added some off topic info and photos to a post when I asked about Where are all the Beach Finds.  TMox & GB_Amateur shared info that was good.  Sorry for adding some off topic stuff, so I edited and am starting a new post.
      Is the true value of a find, what someone is willing to pay or is it what you feel it is worth?  I think it is a little of both and here is my spin.
      I was chasing big gold nuggets at a well known Big Gold Mining camp in AK 10+ years ago.  In fact, it was Steve who talked me into going there as he knew I was pretty good with a detector.  Back in the day when he and I were both Minelab Dealers (when he worked for a living), we used to bump stories and detector knowledge off each other.  Anyway, I found a beauty of a coin in the old original part of the camp which is upstream from the current camp.  It was an 1882 Morgan Silver Dollar.  I was so excited to recover this piece of history and it was only my 3rd or 4th silver dollar find in my carrier, at that time.  Well when I got back camp and showed the other nugget hunters and the families who owned the mine, I could tell they really wanted it, especially Mrs. Wiltz.  She even offered to buy it from me for $100.  Now this is when the value comes in.  At the time and current, the 1882 Morgan Dollar in that condition would probably sell for $20 to $30.  But yet I have one of the Mine owners offering me 3 to 5X is book value?  My heart wanted to keep her happy, but I could not let it go so easy.  Finding a Morgan silver dollar is extremely rare (even though there are millions, YES- millions) with a metal detector at an old site.  $100 is a great offer and I would never get that same from a coin store.  But when you don't need the money, it doesn't mean as much.  I declined, as I told her I wanted to take it home and share with my dad, the same guy who helped me learn detectors as a young kid back in the early 70's, my mentor.  I also wanted to enter it into the Metal Detecting Club - Finds of the Month Contest. 
      Fast forward to the following Summer of 2006.  I took it back up there and to this day (I think anyway) it is still hanging on the wall up for everyone to see.  The memories, shakes, natural high I was going though when dug was priceless.  Letting my father flip that coin a few times (amongst the much more valuable gold nuggets) while I told the story and watching him light up as he was so proud of me, was worth it.  Getting to tell the story over again at the metal detecting meeting and of course winning the "Best Coin of the Month" category, was worth it.  Seeing the smile on Mrs Wiltz face when I handed the plaque to her, was worth it.  Heck, I spent close to $300 for the custom matting and framing....and it was worth every penny of it.
      A $20 coin worth Memories of a lifetime is the true value in my mind.
      1st 3 pics are of the Frame, the silver dollar, with certificate and photos of find.  Last 2 shots are actual pics of the moment I dug it up.  I'll never forget that day.
      What's your thoughts of true value?