Elusive Diablo Micromax

One popped up on eBay just now - couldn’t resist - Buy it Now - I did 

No coil. If I understand correctly it takes standard 4 pin coils for the Lobo super trac and similar. 

Have to figure out what coil to get for it. 

This will be my third one - Probably made enough off the first two to pay for it - but out of respect for Dave Johnson - who designed it and pronounced it to be his favorite design - I guess I’ll keep this one.

Rick Kempf 
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

• Like 4

On 1/23/2019 at 11:05 PM, Rick Kempf said:

One popped up on eBay just now - couldn’t resist - Buy it Now - I did 

No coil. If I understand correctly it takes standard 4 pin coils for the Lobo super trac and similar. 

Have to figure out what coil to get for it. 

This will be my third one - Probably made enough off the first two to pay for it - but out of respect for Dave Johnson - who designed it and pronounced it to be his favorite design - I guess I’ll keep this one.

Rick Kempf 
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Hi Rick…years ago Dave Johnson said that he really liked the design. He mentioned the secondary GB control particularly, that it was handy for checking out suspect hotrock signals, and thus quite useful on many sites. He also noted that he might do that feature again on some future product. Nice little unit, congratulations. :cool:

• Like 1

I believe it takes any of the 4 pin coils, the standard one is the 10” elliptical concentric

Here’s a link to the original sales flyer and another link to an old Tesoro catalog

https://static.secure.website/wscfus/6268851/8332007/tesoro-diablo-umax.pdf

https://static.secure.website/wscfus/6268851/uploads/Tesoro_Catalog_13.pdf

A quick solution to my problem might be to buy a Lobo Super Trac that someone in our club has on offer for less than I paid for the coilless Diablo - same coil and just swap machines.

4 hours ago, Rick Kempf said:

A quick solution to my problem might be to buy a Lobo Super Trac...

Is this the coil you're looking for:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tesoro-10-Elliptical-Widescan-Search-Coil-Delta-Series-Detector-10EW-LW-D-/272385338757?hash=item3f6b6e6d85

I bought a beat up Diablo a few years ago and had Tesoro restore it for me. They still has some of the decals in stock so I bought a new housing, knobs , shaft and everything. The coil and some other internal part were bad too so by the time they were finished it was pretty much a new detector. They are a neat little detector although not the most powerful.

Bryan

8FB14E3F-C1F1-407E-AB7D-C632B6B0CB1E.jpeg

8C4DAB7E-8551-44FA-ACB8-EDD414D1A448.jpeg

A77F4B1C-E0D0-4F4E-90CB-E585AEBE506A.jpeg

9E2801DB-84A0-44E3-8299-ACEEEE220DFB.jpeg

• Like 3

The Demons and the original Lobo use a coil With four male pins not only is the connector different but the coils themselves are incompatible with the Diablo micromax and lobo  super track. The Diablo micromax the Lobo super track  both use the standard for pin connector – which is often called Delta – and is used by the H.O.T  series of detectors like the vaquero and Tejon

• Like 1