Question On New Anfibio

Can someone explain to me what makes this new Anfibio different from a X TERRA 705 the 705 can run three different frequencies all be it you have to change coils to be able to run any of the three different frequencies it can run the Anfibio you push a button to change frequencies but with that being said I also know I can purchase a coil from a manufacturer that pretty much allows me to run one coil on the 705 and just by turning the 705 off and back on in a short time period it changes to one of the different frequencies that the 705 can run in in other words one single coil will run 3 KHz,7.5 KHz,and 18.75 KHz all done with just one coil so can someone please explain how the Anfibio is any different from the X TERRA 705 and not trying to start a bashing war here just trying to understand how the Anfibio is much different from the 705.

nokta-anfibio-mulrifrequency-waterproof-

You just explained the difference. With the X-Terra you are supposed to change coils to change frequencies since the coils are optimized for each frequency. Forcing one to work at another frequency can be done but you are not getting optimum performance at that point due to the frequency / coil mismatch. Minelab VFLEX notes

The Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi like most similar detectors use coils that are wound to work with a range of frequencies. This usually means one frequency is optimal for the coil. The other frequencies are harmonics that the coil will also work with but perhaps not in the most optimal fashion. The whole theory behind X-Terra was that by using optimised coils a performance edge was retained. Reality has shown that whatever performance aspect resides in this use of multiple optimised coils is not as desirable to people as the ability to use one coil but at different frequencies.

Selectable Frequency and Multiple Frequency Explained

• Like 1

Thank you Mr H and phrunt I have heard those coils from NEL work pretty good but have never tried one because Minelab does not recommend them my biggest complaint with the 705 has always been having to change the coil to change the frequency other then that I do love my 705 this new Anfibio just peaked my interest as it just seems to be like the 705 with out having to change the coil I figured if you were supposed to use one coil on the 705 to utilize all three frequencies minelab would have built a coil for it or had coil tech to build one so I just never pursued purchasing one of those NEL coils

The problem with the NEL option, putting any performance concerns aside, is the lack of size availability. A 12" x 13" coil on the 2.9 lb X-Terra is not going to be a fun swing.

The other thing is that the Anfibio Multi and also the Multi Kruzer (almost the same machine in a lighter, less expensive package) have numerous options and features the X-Terra lacks. Like being fully submersible and built in wireless headphones. The X-Terra 705 is a genuine bargain at its new, lower pricing, but look hard at the extra features here as they may be worth the extra dollars to you.

Hi,

I have not tried one of the Nel multi frequency coils for the X-Terra series. I have used Nel single frequency coils and they worked well.  I have owned or tried out both a 705 and Makro Multi Kruzer. I still  own an X-Terra 50.  The biggest difference (besides all of the amazing features on the Multi Kruzer that aren't on the 705) that I experienced between the X705 and the Multi Kruzer was my perception that the VFlex technology in X705 (except in All Metal Prospecting mode) filtered the discriminated receive signal so much and made the background so quiet, that I always felt very far removed from the detecting process like there was a big curtain between me and the incoming signal which I had very little control over.  In Prospecting Mode the X705 felt fairly immediate to me but I wouldn't call it a hot detector at all. In contrast, the Multi Kruzer was so hot, that even in its discriminated modes it had a crackle and spark to it that gave me that edge of your seat kind of immediacy. There was almost too much information to interpret audio wise and I had to struggle to keep up with it sometimes. After trying the Equinox 600 and 800 I chose them since they seemed to me anyway, to be a good balance between: I'm in the next room while operating the 705 and I'm literally inside the Multi-Kruzer.

Jeff

• Like 4

thanks for the responses

have been giving this new Anfibio some thoughts and rather then spend 600 on a new machine when my X TERRA 705 is still in perfect working condition I just cannot seem to justify spending that much money when I could accomplish the same thing just by purchasing a coil for a third of the price or less so you are rite phrunt in your thoughts

I just was not sure if there was that much more tech put into the Anfibio that it would make it worth the upgrade

There has never been much on the forums about the NEL multi frequency coils for the X TERRA's other then minelab does not recommend them I do wish someone that has used one would chime in and let us know their experience with them also my fear has always been can they damage the control head or brains of the 705

HI

I have not heard of any problems with the aftermarket MF coils for the Xterra series. I think it is a matter of: do you want to buy and use a coil that is not sanctioned by Minelab. I don’t know if there are patent issues.

Like was said here earlier obviously it is possible to create one coil that can operate at all three frequencies so why didn’t Minelab do that. It is either a technical issue and Minelab was not satisfied with the result or it was a way to sell more coils.............

Jeff

So DSMITH,

you would probably get better performance from separate coils according to Steve’s post and the info in the links he provided.

Personally, I have the stock Minelab concentric 7.5kHz coil and a Mars Sniper DD 18.75 kHz coil because I use my XT50 for fresh and saltwater beach detecting in the Southeastern USA and both coils are waterproof. The Minelab 10X5 18.75 kHz coil is not waterproof.

Jeff

• Like 1