Help Wanted With 15 Inch Coil Pinpointing Tips And Tricks

Bhogg

Hi All

Just interested in knowing about how everyone is going with the 15 inch coil??.
Just having some trouble with pinpoint on the beach it’s quite hard, but as it is also my first time using it on the beach!, I also think it was made harder as there was obviously a LOT of trash!, and it being more conducive the holes I were digging ended up being very big to find the actual target.
So are the good targets on the beach a clearer/ crisp sound? and also sound off closer to the actual coil compared to eg an aluminium or junk targets?.
So I’m very interested in seeing how everyone is going with it and what adjustments users have had to make??.

Cheers

minelab-equinox-15-12-dd-coil.jpg.9c0b89
Minelab Equinox 800 with 15" x 12" DD search coil

If you wiggle off the end without going into pinpoint mode then you eliminate the issue of multiple targets under the larger coil causing the built-in pinpoint function locking-in on an off-center target.  On the beach, just scoop a bucket full of sand and get it on the surface and it is much easier to find and recover the target and move on.  It does not have to be a precise pinpoint for recovery as you are not tearing up the landscape.  I mainly only use built-in pinpoint to get a bead on the size and depth of the target due to the lack of modulation in the search modes vs. pinpoint for recovery purposes.  HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was no adjustment for me going from the 11" coil to the 15" coil. Pinpoints the same, more or less in the middle of the coil.

In the UK I was using a shovel to dig targets. They ended up in a small pile of dirt. I found I could use the 15" coil at a 45 degree angle to nose around in the pile and pinpoint off the tip of the coil. This worked so well I stopped using a pinpointer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
Guest Tnsharpshooter

Thin coin like nonferrous tilted will play games with a person.  Will cause you to miss.  Just be aware.