Fisher Impulse AQ (formerly Aqua Manta) Pulse Induction Metal Detector

Thanks Steve,

I have been paying less attention to the new Impulse. The debate has been going on a while, and looks to continue a while more. Like you, I am content with what I have and am sort of watching it with one eye while looking for little clues for what I will do with what I have. You are a powerful resource, thanks for being out there.

S

On 3/12/2019 at 2:57 PM, phrunt said:

Looks like the Americans are fighting back, this can only mean good things for everybody.  Some healthy competition is always welcome.  I've always pinned my hopes on Fisher.

I will be watching with a keen eye at their new gold detector.

I’m interested in the new gold detector as well. Good luck Fisher!

8 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

And I see signs of just the opposite. John in Edmonton NEVER speaks of anything but Garrett. Ever. His blood runs green. So what to make of this post he made recently.

But......are there more coming from other manufacturers?”

Looks like a heads up to me from a guy who knows something but can’t say. I’ve done that in the past for people with eyes to see. Another interpretation of the videos is they are pushing the ATX to clear inventory ahead of a release. It just depends how you want to spin it. I sure am not going to hold my breath though. Been doing that for years and I just don't have the lung capacity anymore! :laugh:

I can’t say much for Garrett’s VLFs but the ATX is a decent multichannel PI and Brent Weaver is a brilliant engineer. I would not count them out.

That definitely is interesting!!!! 

ATX is an excellent machine having used a friends a few times water hunting but like you I have no desire to tote around 5+ lb machines.  

All about the technology bringing us ultra light tools!!!!

• Like 2

Over on Dankowski, Alexandre Tartar - the Chief designer of the Manta Project, and therefor of the Fisher Impulse AQ - has posted for the first time.  I have a feeling that this machine will be progressively exposed to the public in the period prior to production real ease.  It’s totally new ground for Fisher - a device designed by a team they acquired with the Mant a Project.  A niche product for now - salt beach gold hunter.  I suspect however that the First Texas “Euroteam” had much higher ambitions....Great!

I know Carl (Geotech) lurks on most of these forums, but I'm surprised he hasn't uttered a word about the Fisher Impulse.....

fisher-impulse-aq-logo.jpg

Carl is probably exhausted from trying to herd other engineers. One minute on the forums is a minute lost getting Impulse to market.

Maybe Alexandre Tartar will wander over sometime. There is not enough room for both shoveler and I on the Dankowski forum unfortunately. I still can’t figure out what I ever did to make that guy hate my guts so much.

There's a few crackpots on Dankowski, I think shoveler hates everyone, he's blasted just about everyone on there before, and may have had a time-out as I haven't seen him on there lately and a big thread where he got pretty nasty was deleted, first time I've ever seen a thread on Dankowski forums deleted, their all about freedom of speech and all that. 

But I understand what you're saying about Carl, hopefully Carl is working on their Equinox killer, I don't see a need for a PI in my detector inventory, unless I'm wrong, maybe I do need one? 

• Like 2

Carl is actually their PI expert. Not saying he is not brilliant on VLF, but I am guessing he is the guy that convinced FT to go this route. Carl knows just how many years this sort of PI has been dangled out there, only to never appear. Anyone remember Pulse Devil?

What I sure need is the gold nugget version of this machine, although if it costs more than a GPX 4500 I am not sure how much market traction it would get in the prospecting world. In that regard it will all revolve around whether the iron disc truly is better than any other PI. That alone is worth a fortune to a lot of nugget hunters and is really the key question for me. Simply matching the power of the Minelab big guns won’t be enough, and it is looking like the Impulse would need a large external battery just like the Minelabs to get the operating time hard core prospectors would want. A big battery on a harness or belt just puts you back in GPX land. It is the discrimination that will make or break the machine in the prospecting world though, not the price or ergonomics. Prospectors are purely about results. No matter how much I push ergonomics, if a 10 lb detector came out tomorrow with razor blades in the arm cuff that detected gold better than anything we have today people would buy it.

That very same question applies to coin and relic hunters. Just how good is the iron disc really? We have had power for years. It is the ferrous disc that has been lacking. A PI with decent iron disc could set the coin and relic detecting world on fire anywhere bad ground exists.

While I really want the gold nugget version of this machine I am convincing myself I want this one because it should really work well at Lake Tahoe. That would be the primary use. And then I could give it a go in the milder goldfields. Anything I learn with this version would probably benefit me as getting a head start with later versions.

• Like 6