Steve Herschbach

Fisher Impulse AQ (formerly Aqua Manta) Pulse Induction Metal Detector

Thanks for the explanation , Steve.  The only pulse I ever owned was a few decades ago, the Garrett XL200.  

It ignored all bad ground, but then it was not a deep machine.  I did find a bunch of gold rings with it though.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2019 at 2:42 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

The GP Extreme timings are not set up for salt though an anti-interference coil (salt coil) can help. The GPX series added Salt Mode. See Minelab GPX Timings

I used to run a GP extreme on the beach. If I was away from powerlines I'd use a DD in Mono and Sensitive, and if that moaned a bit I'd go to Salt mode. Worked well. When near power lines or other interference, just run in Cancel. The GPX4500 was better, and I could run a Mono coil due to having other goodies like adjustable motion speed and Rx Gain, but you could never actually ground balance on the wet sand. The GPX5000 in Salt Gold is the first PI that will work perfectly with a mono coil on the wet sand. Just wish it was waterproof 😎

• Like 1

Good news, sounds like we will see it before the end of the year. It’s the only detector I have much interest in at the moment but if it is a beach only detector I may pass. I just need something to replace my now departed Garrett ATX. Loved that machine, but manufacturers either get the ergonomics right or I am passing from now on. Surely Fisher can offer me something better than a TDI Beachunter? Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

Steve did you see the new MDT-8000 hybrid detector Dankowski was involved with that was just released?

I was on the sign up list to get one of the first ones, but I talked myself out of it because I just don't beach hunt that often and I don't think I need anything like it for relic hunting sites.  Still, seems to be slaying it at the beach.

Here’s the text from the Russian website = via Google translate  - One note = his point 3. Below - the adjustment he is referring to is with the “Iron Mask” contort.  This sets the level of the iron ID/silence function.

Fisher Impulse AQ - a new pulse metal detector with metal discrimination! (New 2019, first photos!) BY DETECTORIST · 03/12/2019 

Yes, friends, it happened! Fisher Lab has announced its new product - the Fisher Impulse AQ metal detector! A fundamentally new development and, it seems, a revolutionary device in the world of metal detectors.  It was not possible to test much of the novelty, it was hidden at the Fisher Lab stand at IWA Outdoors 2019. Fishers do not like to shout much, but this is what I found out: 

1. The novelty is a pulse device, but with discrimination of ferrous metal and gold. Designed specifically to find gold jewelry and small gold chains and earrings. Since this is a pulse device, it will work without problems on any beaches. 

2. So far, the metal detector is at the final tests stage, the appearance and some characteristics may change. 

3. The metal detector has several search modes - you can shift the detection of the conductivity of metals, for example: you can move the detection towards poorly conducted metals (fine gold) and at the same time eliminate highly conductive targets (large coins of silver and copper), and vice versa - look for large targets and cut off weakly conductive.  

4. Tonality: in the “all metals” mode - one tone, then there is the “2 tones” mode and the “mute” mode.  

5. The device is assembled from high-strength components, it can be seen through the cable thickness, and through a capacious battery, along the coil connector (the largest connector of all seen!) The metal detector is waterproof up to 1 meter - work up to your neck and lift gold just right. 

6. Unusual and mounting the coil to the rod, also a novelty, not seen before. 

7. Battery life up to 10 hours. You can connect a larger battery and increase the operating time up to 20 hours. 

8. Yes, there is no screen on the device. And why is the screen needed? All the necessary settings are there - volume, threshold tone, iron mask, saturation mode. You can change modes, check the battery level, cut off the noise. 

9. Pulse devices have always had a problem - no discrimination. Now the problem is solved and this means that you can walk in all places as if not knocked out. 

10. Price. In the region of 2100-2500 US dollars. New technologies cost money, yes, but they also bring an advantage over all other metal detectors.

11. Soon there will be models for searching for gold nuggets, as well as for searching for coins and relics.  

12. To the touch the weight is about 1.6-1.8 kg, the balancing is not bad, the device does not pull towards the coil.  My first testing showed that the trash and other targets cut off the sound with a bang, and the gold ring on the finger is very beautiful and pleasant in all positions of the ring! Such a signal is not to be confused with anything.  Well, the first tests will show, the first impression is very pleasant and interesting, waiting for more news!  Video on the metal detector will be very soon, wait! 

5039C378-5FC1-4A7E-B2FD-3358E8665838.jpeg

• Like 4

This looks like a very innovated detector for a pulse unit when you examine the feature set. 

• Pulse delay starts at 7 and runs up to 12.    (A pulse delay of 7 is a feat right there)
  • Iron Mask   
  • Noise cancel
  • SAT settings
  • Sensitivity (Coil Voltage)
  • All Metal mode
  • Tone ID mode
  • Mute mode (silence a tone )

Looks like something to pursue to me.   

What would you add for inland use?   

• A progressive mute mode tied to the iron mask setting to give a mineral vs metal break point?    
  • Choice of mute mode selection.  Tie it to the pulse delay selection.  7 -10 mute high conductors.  11, mute hole (medium conductors) 11 - 12 mute low conductors.

Any ideas????

HH
Mike

• Like 2

Mike, you correctly identified the issues.

On the AQ, the combination of Iron Mask and SAT, govern where the iron silence/ID kick in.  It has been announced previously that the AQ has no wide range GB control to eliminate the kind of extreme mineralization found in many gold nugget hunting enviornments.

How an eventual inland version would handle more extremes ferrous mineralization is not known outside the development team.

19 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Steve did you see the new MDT-8000 hybrid detector Dankowski was involved with that was just released?

I was on the sign up list to get one of the first ones, but I talked myself out of it because I just don't beach hunt that often and I don't think I need anything like it for relic hunting sites.  Still, seems to be slaying it at the beach.

Yeah, I have followed it closely. I set up a reviews page about it back in December...

There are multiple threads about the Tarsacci on the Metal Detector Advice & Comparisons Forum including this one. Goldbrick also reported here.

Impulse AQ - I like it. Referential to the old Fisher Impulse. If the machine is even remotely as pictured I will probably get one. It may not be designed for dry land use in extreme ground but there is plenty of ground in Nevada that is relatively mild but which does have a lot of alkali salt in the ground, maybe a few hot rocks. If nothing else it looks like a killer Lake Tahoe detector.

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Rick Kempf
      The latest developments of the AQ pre-production platform continue to increase the utility of the ferrous discrimination capability of the machine. Steady refinement of the design have made the machine not only deeper overall but greatly narrowed the gap between sensitivity in all metal and sensitivity in the iron ID modes of mute and multi-tone. 

I suspect that if no iron/steel trash existed at the beach, no serious beach hunter would use anything except a Pulse Induction machine - unless they were in dry sand, and maybe not then. The reason I say this is that the depth advantages of existing PI machines is well demonstrated since they can operate on most beaches without the penalty of using ground balance. Also, except for iron/steel, no other level of discrimination is useful since gold jewelry can appear almost anywhere in the ID range above iron. So of the iron wasn’t there - PI’s would likely dominate. 

In the case of Phase shift discrimination systems like VLF IB detectors use, the strong iron signal dominates the audio output, either silencing the audio entirely in the case of a single tone VLF, by nulling like an FBS/BBS - or by giving a lower tone in a multi-tone Detector. Even in the case of the multitone VLF’s, hearing the non-ferrous target depends on the recovery speed of the processing hardware in the detector. 

With the AQ’s PI time-based discrimination, The discrimination of iron is reported to the user either as silence (in the mute mode) or as a low tone (in the case of multi-tone). 

In mute, not only do you not hear the iron, but you hear instead silence - unless there is a non-ferrous target, in that case you hear the target with no hint of the iron at all. In this mode, the AQ software simply makes the ferrous targets disappear - just disappear. 

In the case of multitone, you hear a high tone for non-ferrous low and medium conductors and a high tone for ferrous targets - close or even superimposed, makes n difference you would hear both tones in any case. 

This has several major advantages. 

First, there is “zero recovery speed” - All targets produce an output signal if they return one - the ferrous is - by operator choice - either silenced or assigned a low tone. The low/medium conductors always return their characteristic high tone. This occurs 100% of the time - there is no “switching delay” from target to target based on processor speed limitations happening. 

Separation distance between adjacent ferrous and non ferrous targets is ZERO. 

By zero, I mean exactly that, even non-ferrous directly beneath ferrous gives a clear non-ferrous high tone and the iron simply “isn’t there” (in mute - in multi-tone it gives a low tone which you would hear along with the non ferrous high tone). 

This means that “silent masking” that Tom wrote about long ago, where even a tiny bit if ferrous like a common staple can mask a deeper and larger valuable target, is largely eliminated. 

Now this isn’t magic, it’s just that the iron is above the ground balance point (or at it) and you are hearing the signals below the GB point and the ones at or above the GB point are silenced (or give a low tone). 

Is it perfect? - no. In discrim on the AQ some high conductor targets will be “above the GB point” and be treated as iron. If your idea of a good beach hunt is finding a bunch of dimes and quarters in dry sand, then stick with whatever light, cheap VLF you want, they can help you avoid all that aluminum and gold which would just slow you down - lol 

All this is clearly demonstrated in the video I have linked to before. The machine in the video is the Manta prototype from 3-5 years ago. The system has gone through a lot of development since then, including the very latest gains in overall depth and depth in the iron ID modes which I reported in the first sentence in this post. 

Will the AQ “obsolete” any other detectors? Depends on what you mean by obsolete. The gas turbine aircraft engine (the jet) quickly replaced the extremely complex, high maintenance multi cylinder reciprocating aircraft engines for heavy, fast and high aircraft, but lots of light aircraft are still piston powered. The piston engine is still undergoing development for some aircraft applications. 

So I expect that IF the AQ in the hands of the early buyers lives up to its claimed capabilities, that serious beach gold hunters will adopt it quickly. When a new tool in the hands of early adopters proves to be superior at doing a specific job to the previous best tools for the job in question, those who are really serious about performance for economic or other reasons will adopt the new tool and stop using the old one. How many framing carpenters still use a hammer. Not many if the compressor/nail gun noise at any construction site is any guide. The framing hammer is not obsolete - it still works just fine - but for serious users the nail gun became “compelling”. 

Time will tell how “compelling” the AQ will become for serious beach jewelry hunters.

• By Steve Herschbach
      There is on-going field testing of the Fisher Impulse AQ in progress trying to improve the discrimination. This despite the machine getting ready to go to production at any moment.
      For those that do not know metal detector development never stops. It just gets to a point where it is good enough and you launch. Engineers can improve for eternity if you let them. This does raise a concern however. This machine is as far as I can tell using a new premise for what it does, and is obviously up against deadlines to get out the door. There is nothing here about internet update capability, and in fact it seems I recall somebody at FT saying there never would be such a feature on their machines. But given that nearly every serious platform released by FT sees software bugs and updates in the first year, including the recently released F-Pulse, the odds are this machine would benefit from an update once it gets into user hands and the inevitable bug is found. It really is a set up for having to mail machines back to be updated.
      I would like to be one of the first to jump on one of these but given the First Texas poor track record in this regard a lack of update facility does give me pause, especially in a detector that will likely be over $2000. I get a cheap detector having no update facility, but First Texas may end up regretting not putting the capability in this detector. Forget the unhappy customers - it costs the company money if it ends up having to physically reprocess every machine sold to perform some kind of software fix. In this day and age internet update capability is an expectation - every Nokta/Makro machine no matter the price has it, even the upcoming under $300 Simplex. I am a bit amazed that there is no mention of this capability on what appears to be the most expensive First Texas metal detector ever made. 
      Source thread at Dankowski Forum
      Fisher Impulse AQ Data & User Reviews

Fisher Impulse AQ metal detector
    • By Steve Herschbach
      In a weird way I see this as good news. Apparently Fisher was ready to start producing the Impulse AQ. The reason I know that is there has been a publicly announced "production delay" over some sort of mechanical aspect of the detector. So I read that as meaning that as soon as this hardware bug gets addressed units will be rolling out the door. The only problem is we don't know how long it will take to fix the bug, but they must be on it 24/7 at this point. Management has to be cracking the whip hard by now to get it out the door. I have to assume we will see this before end of summer. Fingers crossed! 
      Source for the info at Dankowski Forum
      Fisher Impulse AQ Data & User Reviews

Fisher Impulse AQ metal detector
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Demonstration of how the new Fisher Impulse AQ handles non-ferrous items surrounded by or under ferrous trash. ZTS® "Zero Target Separation" 3/19/2019 Official Fisher video.
      Fisher Impulse AQ Detector Data & User Reviews

Fisher Impulse AQ ZTS® "Zero Target Separation"
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Explanation of new coil mounting system on the new Fisher Impulse AQ metal detector. ZPT® "Zero Pressure Technology" 3/19/2019 Official Fisher video.

Fisher Impulse AQ ZPT® "Zero Pressure Technology"

Fisher Impulse AQ ZPT® "Zero Pressure Technology" detail image
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Demonstration of the high speed responses for various objects waved under the coil of the new Fisher Impulse AQ metal detector. HRS® "Highly Reactive System" 3/19/2019 Official Fisher video.

Fisher Impulse AQ HRS® "Highly Reactive System"