Steve Herschbach

Fisher Impulse AQ (formerly Aqua Manta) Pulse Induction Metal Detector

You have to remember that Eric Foster was the person that invented the PI technology.   Ones something is invented, other people will find ways to make it better.  Having use the Aquastar for a number of years. I can not wait to have a Manta to use.  

• Like 4

Looks cool. That shaft attachment is very GPZ like. Knobs, no screens in a slick modern design, exactly what you want for a serious beach hunter. 

My only immediate thought/concern is it looks like no Freq Shift/Noise Cancel function?? That would severely limit where on the beaches I could use it, unless it is very immune to EMI. 

• Like 1

To do freq shift, the mode switch is placed in the Nois cancel position and the pulse delay/noise cancel switch is rotated to find the quietest position. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

Overprice a detector and it will sell, but not near as well.

Yeah, if this ends up being over 2K I will probably take a pass and wait for more models to appear.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, PhaseTech said:

Looks cool. That shaft attachment is very GPZ like. Knobs, no screens in a slick modern design, exactly what you want for a serious beach hunter. 

Well, we need to remember this is still a prototype, not a production unit. Personally, I have mixed feelings about knobs. I like them from an operational aspect. I dislike them because they collect grit and are an inevitable failure point - the more knobs, the more chance of one failing. There is something to be said for a seamless sealed pod from that perspective. I prefer something like Garrett did on the ATX myself, but that’s just me.

I don’t see the point in the shaft attachment design unless there is a possibility of the cable running up the rod, which might be the case. Again, this is a pre-production prototype so we don’t know for sure on anything.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rick Kempf said:

It wasn’t on their radar.  A PI detector is not something they had their sights on - then this opportunity presented itself and they went for it.  Pretty bold move for what is, after all, like all the detector builders, a small business. They bought more than the design, they hired the team.

Their own development goals proceed - I have no info on what that amounts to, my only insights were about the PI.

Hi Rick, thanks for the info. I know you got two Vallons and had one updated. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Vallons use on the beach and any comparisons to the Impulse.

Thanks,

Tim

Both my Vallons are updated and the “ugly” one got the full checkout at the Vallon agent in PA.  Need to sell at least one.

I like how small the battery is and at about 1.8kg it's a good weight, I like the T2 style rod too.  It seems they have listened to their customers.

I can't wait to see the gold detecting model when it comes out.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Tnsharpshooter
      http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,149502
      This data below was posted by same gent who responded above on Apr 22 2018.
      2019 Update: The Manta is now called the Fisher Impulse AQ - see Fisher Impulse AQ Detector Data & User Reviews
      LE.JAG Wrote:
      -------------------------------------------------------
      > Hello,

> some news on Fisher Manta
      > after using, the most powerful pulsepower
      > deepstar, SSV3, Aquastar, Goldscan 5c

> I can tell you that Fisher Manta is deeper
      > and more sensitive with its 7us delay

> the total weight should not exceed 1.5 kg
      > the Fisher team is currently working on the mechan
      > ical part
      > new box, cane, new coil....

> the high sensitivity of the 7us requires materials
      > accordingly
      > solid disc with specific resin
      > winding and shielding of very high quality
      > high-end cable also for shielding ....

> all this add to a waterproof version
      > requires more time for mass production than a conv
      > entional detector

> once the mechanical part is fully operational
      > the first pre-series will not be long
      > and here I guarantee you the greatest depth
      > that you will never have seen on a ring at the be
      > ach

> if you hunt in the hard, look for a very solid gam
      > ate !!!!  (:P)

> will follow the Terra version for the nugget
      > and this is just the beginning, Alexandre and the
      > research team
      > is already working on other technologies
      > who will revolutionize the world of gold diggers
    • By Steve Herschbach
      My VLF detectors are rapidly sorting themselves out and I am satisfied I am doing about as good in that regard as can be done. There really is only one area of metal detecting left that is bugging me.
      2019 Update: The Manta is now called the Fisher Impulse AQ - see Fisher Impulse AQ Detector Data & User Reviews
      The Garrett Infinium was the first waterproof ground balancing PI and not a bad first effort. White's TDI might have improved on it but White's never did a waterproof TDI. Surprisingly, Minelab has never done what I would consider to be a true waterproof saltwater beach hunting PI. The SDC 2300 really is a prospecting detector first and second. I finally ended up with the Garrett ATX, which currently sets the bar for a waterproof ground balancing beach and water detector.
      Yet the ATX housing was designed more for military use than beach detecting. The coils are overly expensive due to an integrated rod design. Worse, the detector weighs in at 6.9 lbs and cannot be hip or chest mounted.
      In a sign of faith I am going to sell my ATX and wait on whatever First Texas has in the works. As Rick Kempf posted here previously, First Texas hired Alexandre Tartar and purchased the rights to produce a version of his Manta PI Project. And to quote First Texas engineer Carl Moreland from this thread "Yes, we've hired Alexandre. Yes, we are working on PI. I was personally working on PI before hiring Alexandre, but now we are seriously working on PI."
      Another thread with Fisher Manta details
      Fisher has not made a PI since the Fisher Impulse was discontinued back around 2013. This collaboration with Alexandre Tartar gives me hope that First Texas can get something out in the next year or two. My bar is low - a waterproof ground balancing PI at least as good as the ATX in a more ergonomic package. Seems fairly doable. Another company that may come out of nowhere all the sudden is Nokta/Makro as we know they are working on a PI. I don't know, but I think this is First Texas' game to lose at this point. So there you go, ATX going up for sale and a spot held open for whatever company can meet the challenge. Good luck First Texas - I am rooting for you!
      https://youtu.be/G8sdp4RG73g
    • By Nuke em
      Anyone out there know any information on this machine ? It supposed to be being tested and could be really interesting when released .
      May be able to discriminate Iron out .
      You Tube this .  AQUAMANTA A1 TESTS HARDELOT . All in capitals . 
      It is compared to the Sovereign and CTX , the Aqua is the last one tested . Unfortunately LIKE the Equinox most of the time before release , its in a foreign language .
    • By Steve Herschbach
      The Fisher Impulse AQ is clearly aimed at beach hunters. Specifically saltwater beach detectorists. It is a PI and as such is being billed as able to handle thick black sands. Pictures have been posted showing just that - saltwater beaches with heavy magnetic black sand content.
      Yet at the same time we are being warned this detector has a ground balance with limited range, and that it can't handle extreme ground and hot rocks i.e. gold prospecting.
      So what's the deal? Can it handle intense mineralization or not? I also wonder about the discrimination. The machine is clearly based on the Eric Poster/TDI in some regards but is also being billed as multi-channel, which TDI is not.
      I suspect just as with TDI that the discrimination is tied directly to the ground balance, and that in order to be effective as far as discrimination the ground balance is very limited. It has been mentioned that the all metal mode might be better for prospectors, which makes sense given what I am speculating. The discrimination is said to be "gold only" with high coin signals eliminated. That makes sense again as coin and nail signals are in the same GB range with the TDI. If they are going dual channel it may be employing two ground balance points as the limits on the discrimination range, something I suggested ages ago. It should be obvious that the TDI can use ground balance to establish one range limit - a second channel defining another limit seemed a no brainer to me. I always wanted to get an SD2100 to experiment with the concept since it allows the two ground balance channels to be set manually. Never got around to it though.
      Any PI can deal with relatively homogenous ground. Even the non-ground balancing White's Surf PI handles black sand beaches well, as long as the coil is kept at an even height over the bottom. I therefore think the machine will do well on relatively homogenous beaches. Given that it is said to not handle hot rocks well, how does that translate into Hawaii as a location? My main issue there with the Surf PI was basalt hot rocks embedded in blond non-magnetic sands derived from reef erosion. I have to question whether the Impulse AQ can handle those hot rocks given what has been said about it.
      What about freshwater? The is no difference between a freshwater Tahoe beach and some of the worst prospecting ground. Thick black sands plus hot rocks. Is the ground balance range tied more to saltwater operation? I would like to run this machine at Tahoe, but given what is being said I am questioning whether it can handle the hot rocks there.
      Not a bit of this speculation is a knock on the Impulse AQ. It is a machine targeting a subset of a niche market. In other words, a machine with very limited application and they are telling us that up front. I am not one to ever complain when I get a detector and it does not work when I try to make it do things it was not made to do. And there is always a catch, always limitations, always unexpected things that pop up in widespread use that can't be captured in limited prototype testing. I get all that.
      The bottom line is I am just airing the thoughts that are bouncing around in my head. I don't worry about it because I am perfectly capable of getting all the answers to these questions on my own. It's actually these types of questions that makes me want to get detectors because I love pushing detectors outside the envelope and finding the limits.... and then doing things with them others might not think of. It's kind of my detector super power. 
      They sure seem close to having a finished product. I hope so as once end of October hits I will have to wait until spring. Well, I don't have to, I just will. I may wait for the prospecting version anyway. We will see.
      Fisher Impulse AQ Detector Data & User Reviews
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Demonstration of how the new Fisher Impulse AQ handles non-ferrous items surrounded by or under ferrous trash. ZTS® "Zero Target Separation" 3/19/2019 Official Fisher video.
      Edit.... video has been deleted.

Fisher Impulse AQ ZTS® "Zero Target Separation"
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Explanation of new coil mounting system on the new Fisher Impulse AQ metal detector. ZPT® "Zero Pressure Technology" 3/19/2019 Official Fisher video.
      Edit... video has been deleted.

Fisher Impulse AQ ZPT® "Zero Pressure Technology"

Fisher Impulse AQ ZPT® "Zero Pressure Technology" detail image