Steve Herschbach

Fisher Impulse AQ (formerly Aqua Manta) Pulse Induction Metal Detector

If this is true

10. Price. It will cost approximately 2100-2500 US dollars. New technologies cost money, yes, but they also bring an advantage over all other metal detectors.

I won't bite, my TDI is more than sufficient at the moment.

Water proof is good but my Equinox will do for water hunting.

TDI for super bad ground

Equinox everything else

• Like 2

I am pretty interested in a nugget version of this AQ,  initial tests show this AQ is near on par with depth of a gpx with a 15" coil. Due to the 7 usec timing it would make a killer small nugget machine once setup with AUTO GROUND BALANCING for the desert. I want something like this to keep tuned just for small nugget hunting, its so lightweight compared to a minelab big gold machine I could see owning one maybe if it pans out.

• Like 3

I went out to my storage unit (we downsized last year - all the junk is in storage) and got out my crystal ball.  After dusting it off and giving it a dose of Barkeepers Friend, I rubbed it vigorously.

Misty figures appeared before my eyes - I saw someone seeking gold nuggets in Africa.  He looked like he was using a Teknetics T2, but as I looked closer - it was something else - it was a PI detector....but what kind?.  At that point the cat jumped off the couch and landed in my lap.  the crystal ball is on its way back to the manufacturer for recalibration.

Beach hunters are not a mass market, European relic hunters and “artisanal miners” are potential mass markets. Neither of these markets are currently served by a light, ergonomic PI detector offering the immunity from bad ground that GB PI’s offer.

Whose detector will I see when I get my device back from Madam Sara’s CB (Crystal Ball) shop?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Well, since you brought it up Rick I will chime in. I was not wanting to rain on your parade. 🙂

You are right, a beach PI is not going to move the needle at First Texas. It’s obvious that after years of work CZX went nowhere, and so FT was stuck in a “we need to find something quick” position. Thankfully for them this came along. But unless it can be leveraged into some sort of dry land detecting model it certainly at this point does not fill that desire by many for a new machine to replace the F75 as the flagship.

Still, for me personally I am ecstatic to see this. I have been beating on Minelab and Garrett for YEARS to just take either the SDC or ATX and put them into something other than an off the shelf expensive military housing. They have the circuits, but producing a PI like what we are seeing here.... they just won’t do it. At least they would not. Perhaps if FT succeeds in getting this off the ground with a dry land version in the wings we will see action on other fronts also.

I love competition! 😀

I guess one thing is settled. Fisher posting this info to their Facebook page makes Impulse AQ the probable official name.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Still, for me personally I am ecstatic to see this. I have been beating on Minelab and Garrett for YEARS to just take either the SDC or ATX and put them into something other than an off the shelf expensive military housing. They have the circuits, but producing a PI like what we are seeing here.... they just won’t do it. At least they would not. Perhaps if FT succeeds in getting this off the ground with a dry land version in the wings we will see action on other fronts also.

Steve,

What if Garrett and Minelab were spurred to the action you note? Suppose they came in at all about the same price, which would you want the most? This is of course comparing two known and a not yet detector, but the Fisher looks to be a well engineered manual model that allows user control of most of the parameters of operation as they want.

Since the Impulse AQ does not have the capability to handle extreme ground / hot rocks I would be happier with a Garrett ATX in a good ergonomic package. I only ever sold my ATX as sort of a protest move. It is a well behaved and versatile circuit. But they either make what I want or screw it. I’m done lending any degree of support to ergonomic nightmares.

SDC is a bit limited so if I had my wish from Minelab it would be a subset of the GPX circuit. Imagine a GPX 5000 in a package similar to the AQ.

I honestly am content with the Equinox for beach detecting so my interest lies in supporting what this could become as a inland unit. I just don’t get to the beaches enough really to sink a couple grand into a dedicated beach machine. But I will support any company making the moves I like and I like the direction here. I may therefore get one to, as I explained before, to try on milder inland situations. It is mostly a timing thing for me. Too late in the fall and I may as well wait through the winter to see what happens next.

Everyone but me wants more power. There is enough power for me out there already. It simply exists in packaging that I am now waging war on going forward. There is enough heat on now from various companies that we are finally getting real competition. As consumers we are in a good position to start DEMANDING proper ergonomic machines. The old “detecting is a niche market so we can’t afford it” excuse has long since gone by the wayside.

With FT finally making the first move in some ways it is actually Garrett’s and Minelab’s game to lose.

The hardcore beach hunters are going to love Impulse AQ, no doubt about it. If I lived nearer to saltwater it is a no brainer for me.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Everyone but me wants more power. There is enough power for me out there already. It simply exists in packaging that I am now waging war on going forward. There is enough heat on now from various companies that we are finally getting real competition. As consumers we are in a good position to start DEMANDING proper ergonomic machines. The old “detecting is a niche market so we can’t afford it” excuse has long since gone by the wayside.

This is precisely the concept I am sorting out this year, opting to spend more time and energy on unmasking than raw depth. I like how you look at things Steve, and your generosity in sharing your knowledge. Thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

My days of swinging a 3 pounds or more detector are over!  With modern materials, etc. there is very little need to continue to produce heavy, chunky machines IMO.  I would rather spend the day swinging a light, well balanced, stable machine.  I don't care how deep a new machine will go if I can't swing it all day without being strapped to the machine! 😀

I believe that I will find more with a good quality light machine that I can swing for 8 hours vs. a supercharged monster that I can only swing for 1 hour.  Not everyone is 25 years old and built like the Hulk. LOL

• Like 5

11 hours ago, SLGuin said:

Steve,

What if Garrett and Minelab were spurred to the action you note?

Garrett’s response to these new machine rumors appears to have been sending the “HooverBoys” a few ATXs.  They have been releasing youTube vids the last 2-3 weeks with nothing but ATX relic hunting.  If they are pushing those machines it’s doubtful anything new is in the pipeline 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Since the Impulse AQ does not have the capability to handle extreme ground / hot rocks I would be happier with a Garrett ATX in a good ergonomic package.

This has been circling in mind. Is it because it does not ground balance, or is there more to it? The ground is generally milder where I live, it is more discrete sites that make VLF work poorly. Trying to figure out the puzzle of this, and a decent strategy. Things like EMI, bad ground, extreme nails, nearby airports, and unknown factors make some sites challenging even in general geographic areas thought to be mild.