Snow With a Chance of Gold

Hello everyone, I found out yesterday that i wouldn't be able to get out this coming weekend so i took a short 4 hr trip into the place i nabbed the merc nugget and saw the Mountain Lion afew days back.

It snowed last night and i was stoked to have a wintry day of mining. We've basically had no winter the last two yrs so this was a welcome suprise. My wife dropped me off and the dogs and i slowly made are way down into the headwaters. It was slow going for my Queensland Healer Zoe, she's going on 10 and after braking her back while mining last year has never been as spry. Droping over the ridge the snow slowly rose until it was waist deep but very light and fluffy so easy to brake trail. We got about half way and ol Zoe slipped into a small streamlette and couldn't get out, so down i went to get her and away we go. We arrived at the spot i'd scored the last nugget and i went to un-stacking the old tailings that the nugget had been just along the edge of. A half hour later and snow ablown i had opened up another 10 sq ft or so of bedrock and began to detect. With the snow flakes growing in size i hit the small piece first with just the faintest of a whisper. I doubted it was actually a target and thought it was ground noise until i got it in my scoop and closer to the coil. The bigger piece came a few minutes latter near the upper edge of the area i had cleared it was a cool mellow tone. Knowing this area rarely has any flakes or fly chit, but wanting to be sure i had brought my EZ sluice. I put thru about half of the gravels on the bedrock but got only one small flake as expected. That took my few hours and left an hour to hike out so i decided to clean up. I snapped the pic of the gold and then drooped the small piece as I tryed to put it in my poke. looked for it a little and then figured easy come easy go - i'll get it when i return in the future. I hiked out a different route up a more sheltered ridge which was good for the old dog being the snow was mostly ankle deep but very windy. Took pics of the old road that hits the ridge i came in on.

I acquired a video camera lately and used the still shots from it for the first time today. They appear a little dark but will work on that in the future. I had a great time and enjoyed the solitude and brisk quiet the snow brought to the forest. I was very stoked on the little nugget, only weighed .2 grams, but its the roughest piece I've seen come from here which is cool because I've been trying to find the golds source up the hill. The old timers have a few runners above but they could have missed one.

Likely the last deep snow trip for the old dog but a rememberable one for sure - and I'm proud to say ive gotten gold every trip out with my trusty SDC.

I hope you enjoy the picsĀ 
AjR

post-661-0-92068700-1428448951_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-30547800-1428448960_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-15951900-1428448976_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-31738000-1428448985_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-85288400-1428449000_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-84380100-1428449012_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-70514700-1428449028_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

You are are a very tough and dedicated individual. Great pictures and nice gold! Congratulations

• Like 1

Awesome! Your doctor called, he says that you sir, have an official case of the gold fever.Ā  :D

• Like 3

Thanks Guys! I do enjoy a good snowstorm. The peace and silence a blanket of snow brings is a welcome release. I do better in extreme cold than i do extreme hot - it just slows me down and boils my mind

Ā 

I'm known to be a dedicated man when family and friends,curiosity or a good adventure calls. Sometimes to the point of obsession or stupidity.

Ā 

Grit was pounded into us Salmon River Boys by the dirt floors of our childhood cabins.

Ā 

As for the doctor - i'd better find more gold to pay him cause he's right on man! Lol.Ā 

Ā 

AjR

• Like 1

Zoe has adapted well to your cold country, they have a fairly heavy coat over here but that`sĀ a super thickĀ coat. And I complain of our heat!!!!!! Brrrrrrrr.

• Like 2

Awesome AjR!

Ā 

Don't want to think how cold that water was. Cool dogs too!

Ā 

It's getting hot here in Spain now. I have the opposite problem, I always manage to dig a spot just where the sun is going to roast me all day and I end up toasted and red all down the one side!

Ā 

Keep up the adventures!

Ā 

rich

• Like 1