GPZ Worth It In Virginia?

Klunker - 

Is the super smooth threshold the main reason you recommend running a DD.  Ive generally only used mine in areas with lots of iron trash to have some ability to discriminate.  The two DD coils i have area a coil-tek 8X12 platypus coils which has not impressed me, but im also not as familiar with the setting to run a small dd coil.  The second DD coil is a Detech 17X21 coil.  Thing is huge and gets heavy to swing really fast.  I should probably have an intermediate sized DD coil as well, but i have yet to buy a coil for the GPX all the coils i have came with the detector when i bought it.  

Yup. tinker with settings until you get the threshold absolutely smooth. then listen for any hint of a rise in threshold even if it might be just your imagination then repeat the swing over the spot. My best successes have been with Coiltek and Minelab 11" round DDs.

Take your 17 x21 Detech coil and tape a 12' crescent wrench to it and it will give you a good idea of what a 7000 is like to use.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, PG-Prospecting said:

...Ill still keep the 4800 since I know large gold nuggets have been detect in VA before with a 4500 and 5000.  My buddies have hunted those patches out though before I met them.  So I know there are more to be found.  Im stubborn and will keep at it.  I have access to a couple thousand acres of private land that is gold bearing, so that's a lot of ground to cover, but im sure there is a detectable patch somewhere.  Winter is my detecting and scout season in VA and summer and fall are my dredging season... 

I assume you've read this 1913 bulletin re geology of the gold belt in the James River Basin VA, but in case you haven't here's the link: 
https://www.dmme.virginia.gov/commercedocs/BUL_7.pdf 

With the info contained herein and making the assumption your accessable acreage is in near proximity you should be able to equate trends.. The other scattered gold bearing areas in VA may or may not also be touched upon..

Since I don't completely understand your desire / drive to detect a nugget or find a patch other than to just do so when you're already on the gold, I would offer the suggestion to "reverse engineer" those possible finds by backtracking from where the vein(s) are entering the streams / waterways.. Or at least these sound like good starting points to me short of visible outcroppings.. FWIW..

Swamp

EDIT: I was making the assumption the stream(s) are located on the property to which you have access..

Yep i have that document and read it regularly, i also have pretty much all the docs it cites as sources.  I also have made lidar maps of pretty much every major mine in VA and in the areas i have access to i have attempted to map out vein trends.  

I am definitely a prospector at heart as i am always searching for the next good area.  My main good gold area for dredging has pretty much been worked out, so im searching for the next area to equal it or be better.  And i like having options. lol  

• Like 2

What do you do with the gold you find?

If you keep it and you have 'excess' funds then consider other metal detecting alternatives.

If you sell the gold you find ... keep at what you are doing.  A GPZ doesn't seem like it will give you a return on your investment.

Mitchel

PG-Prospecting,

There is no question that the ZED is heavier than any other detector, but it is manageable.

From all the testing I have done with my 4500 with EVO coil vs the GPZ, the 4500 is only marginally behind in most cases. ( I have both machines ).

Where the ZED shines is on porous / reef gold and gold that is standing on edge.

Is the price difference worth it : For me yes as I spend huge hours each year prospecting and my ZED has paid for itself at least 20 times over. For the average bloke the 4500 with an EVO coil will do most things the ZED can do, for less than half the price, and with less weight ! The 4500 is also more versatile with its many coil combinations ( DD, mono, AI ) and ability, for example, to run a DD in cancel under or near powerlines, or an AI beside an electric fence.

PS : I am in Victoria, Australia, so don't know your specific region.

YouTube channel :  https://www.youtube.com/user/AraratGold

Rick

• Like 2

Yes I meant that the big coil tires me out quickly.  I Always try to take my time and swing slowly.  

araratgold -  Are the evo coils much better then the commander coils?  I know my buddy who found a number of patches in VA runs a 14X9 evo coil as his primary coil.  

12 minutes ago, PG-Prospecting said:

Yes I meant that the big coil tires me out quickly.  I Always try to take my time and swing slowly.  

araratgold -  Are the evo coils much better then the commander coils?  I know my buddy who found a number of patches in VA runs a 14X9 evo coil as his primary coil.  

Yes  PG, no question the EVO coils are better. 

Don't get me wrong, the commander coils are good, but heavy for their size !

The EVO coils are lighter, punch deeper, and seem to handle EMI much better than anything else on the market, with perhaps the exception of the Coiltek Elite coils.

Rick

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Adam H said:

You really think it will make that big of a difference.???  You`ve got to be kidding me!

Hi Adam,

I'm only a newbie to the world of PI and the multitude of coils that can be used.  My comment was based upon a friend that brought his 5000 with standard Minelab Commanders and found some reasonable amounts of gold at various small sizes of 1-3 grams.  Once he got to know the 5000 he then purchased an open spoke 15" Nugget Finder Evo.  Went over the same areas and proceeded to pull much more gold out at both smaller and larger sizes and greater depth. 

From what I have read the flat wound (Evo coils) do give you greater sensitivity and depth compared to bundle wound (Commanders). 

I also read that round coils (such as the Evo) will give a slight depth advantage compared to the eliptical that PG advised he was using.

As I said, I am only a newbie at the PI coil game, so more than happy to take on board some factual and informative advice. 

• Like 2