My Morning View

Beautiful man! Thats an area I have always wanted to fish,prospect and explore. I believe thats near where my son fought some fires last year...hes an outdoorsman too,and told me how great it is up there.Ray

• Like 2

I don't believe those are actually glaciers, just snow packs. Many of the high mtn lakes had them when it used to snow :-)

Yep, nice pics. I think I've to all the spots those were taken.

Adam, I'd like to see more pics when it's not so dark....

• Like 2

Love the pics Strick but no glacier just a yearound snowfield that had vanished by 2011. Thompson Glacier and a few small nearby unamed glacier are the only ones in N.California besides the few on MT Shasta. 

Thompson Peak at 9001 feet is the second highest mountain in Northern California west of the Cascades, after 9027 feet Mount Eddy.  The Thompson Glacier lies below the North Face of Thompson Peak. Late in the season, when most of the winter snow has melted, the crevasses and ice of this glacier are exposed. There is another smaller body of snow/ice to the right of the Thompson Glacier, below the north face that might also be considered a small glacier. Further, there is definitely one small glacier on a nearby peak that has crevasses and clearly displays glacier ice. The Trinity Alps have the distinction of being the only mountain range in the United States that lies entirely below timberline (small trees grow just below the final summit block of Thompson Peak) that contains active glaciers.

And a some good info from Wiki - 

Glaciers, snowfields, and ice fields[edit]

The lowest snowfield in California that does not disappear except in the extreme runs of dry years is located above Mirror Lake at an elevation of 6,600 ft (2,000 m).

The only unambiguous glacier is the 15-acre (61,000 m2) icefield on the north side of Thompson Peak, which shows crevasses indicating true motion even on so small an icefield. Research has shown that some glaciers in the Trinity Alps are more resistant to the effects of global warming than are other California glaciers. According to recent, but incorrect, USGSmaps, 35 permanent bodies of snow and several tiny glaciers dot the highest peaks of the Alps. Independent study has shown that only about six of these snow/ice bodies persist through the driest years. The recent 7.5-minute topographic maps from the USGS severely overstate the area of these ice bodies; for example, none of those shown on the east side of the ridge west of Canyon Creek or of Sawtooth Peak remain at the end even of half the years.[3]

Temporary glacier[edit]

On the ridge south of Sapphire Lake is an unusual phenomenon consisting of a temporary glacier, versus an inactive snowfield that melts out in dry years. Following years of heavy accumulation, an icefield appears in this fully sheltered north-facing cirque that can show active crevasses and seracs some tens of feet high. But this ice body, at an elevation of only 7,500 ft (2,300 m) in a region experiencing a long, hot dry season from about mid May to mid October, can disappear completely during a run of drier years.

Studies of lichen collars indicate that the site near Kalmia Lake is the snowiest spot in the State of California, receiving snow accumulation in excess of the Lake Helen snowcourse on Lassen Peak, by far the snowcourse with greatest late winter snow accumulation in California. This in turn is consistent with the fact of an active glacier under Thompson Peak, while, in contrast, no such active glacier exists under Brokeoff Mountain west of Lassen Peak, higher than Thompson Peak and presenting an ideal NNE-facing zone in the area of maximum snow accumulation beneath an almost-vertical cliff face 1,000 ft (300 m) high. Sufficient snow does accumulate under Brokeoff that in some years the snowfield there experiences incipient glacial motion. Two moraines below it, one very recent, provide clear evidence at least of mass transport in the recent past at that site. These moraines are quite a bit smaller than those found below the Thompson Peak glacieret. The Glaciers on Mt Shasta uptill this year have also been some of the only glaciers that have continued to grow while nearly all others world wide have shrank drastically in the last ten yrs.

Deathray - your son was likely very near - there was a big fire in the headwaters of Coffee Creek, Also huge fires up Whites Gulch and Woolly Creek Drainage. Also Two Huge ones down the Klamath, one in the Elk creek drainage and one more northward in the Horse Creek Area. They were huge fires - and were used to big fires but these were the biggest since records began by the FS. Looks like were headed for more with no snowpack. 

The hunting will be better than in a long time in a few years though.

Thanks Beatup

Figured you'd know the area Lipca, and heres today near noon with temps in the mid 60's meltn the snow away. The last photo is zoomed into the corner of pic 3. The white building is the old shop at Dredger Camp near the mouth of Sugar Creek, the big drainage your looking up in the pics. The old tailings are 40 - 60 ft tall in most places, you'll notice the Scott River in the lower right corner, very low for this time of year. The tailings have been reworked on afew occasions throughout there 3.5 mile length but it has never been profitable. Most of the gold was small and very flakky and the bedrock was a good 45 ft deep. The area is also known for platinum nuggets but the only people i know that have found any found them up sugar creek yrs ago dredging, pieces upto an ounce though. 

There very deep ponds within the tailings that have enormous trout in them that my family and i get permission to fish - there beauties - I'll get some pics next time i go. There population is pretty low so we'll catch afew to eat and then release the rest but they fight like river stealhead, and they go to jumping quick - a sight to see - caught a couple 22 inchers last summer - ate one and released the other. My 5 yr old son landed a 14 incher - hooked and landed it by himself, i netted it and got out the hook -i was so proud.

Hope you enjoy and if theres any creepys out there eye'n my house, remember my dogs are trained and guns are loaded around these parts.

AjR

post-661-0-10926000-1428603798_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-97781500-1428603824_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-21173500-1428603845_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-89846600-1428604455_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Adam that's possible. I used to stop at the old post office when it was a store as well years ago. I used to enjoy talking to the guy that ran it. Keep forgetting his name. I think he moved to Montana or Wyoming. Thanks for the leads in that area. I'm thinking I need to make a run up there this Summer with the wife and detectors. The more I look at that country the more I miss it. You live in Gods country. Don't ever leave!

strick

post-351-0-81911200-1428643250_thumb.jpg

Can I come camping with you ? So sick of Fraser Island need some snow!

Dude you need to get out more !!!!!!!!!!!! 

FI has so much to offer just detect Lack Mack and coins /rings will pop up just dont get caught 

Remember X marks the spot but its not on F/island 

Marty

Not leaving anytime soon. The wife and i are looking to buy a place this next year and then once the kids are raised we do want to hit the road and explore the country. My wife was born and raised her too and we've never been anywhere but Oregon and a little bit of Nevada. I'd love to experience the many different habitats and mining areas we have through out the USA and Canada before  i get to old to do it. You know how plans go - they never go as planed so who knows.

The Krugers owned the Emporium for yrs but there still here so it musta been before them. I'll see if i can find out. If you do head this way PM me and i can head ya twords afew other spots close to the area you know. 

Fraser Island sounds good to me - wouldnt trade it though

Have a good one strick

Adam

The post office was across the street from the Emporium, wasn't it? And, yes he/they? moved to one of those states.

His name was mentioned on a forum several weeks ago...... Memory goes with age :-)

Farrington?