Hello By A Belgian, Now In Arizona

Jean-Luc Lejoly

Hello, 

My name is Jean-Luc,  my spouse and myself live in Arizona, we both work from home, and have been doing hobby prospecting in various locations in Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico for the last couple years, on claims by the GPAA or the desert Gold diggers. We even had the chance to go to the Cripple river claims of the GPAA, for the last ever week it was offered via the GPAA. Because we are working from home both, we are contemplating of moving for a period of one year to Alaska, as long as we can work from there.   We need the ability to get from there with ease to the remaining US once a month or so for a couple days for our jobs. We also need very good internet access to be able to do our jobs. Thus likely it would be in Anchorage that we would have to settle (unless some of you folks here know of other places in Alaska with very good direct connections to Chicago, Dallas or Atlanta and good internet). 

We are in the early planning stages of our move.   I am a very good 'McYver' and always have build my recirculating sluices myself.   Of course as part of the move to Alaska we would like during the right season do some more serious gold prospecting on the weekends and even for a couple continuous weeks when I can take off. 

I hope there are decent locations available not to far from Anchorage where this is possible. I am willing of course to lease or even buy a claim, All depends on the price and location. When I say not too far, I speak 3/4 hours away. I do have 4x4 vehicles (Jeep Wrangler and truck).( Hints are welcome)  

We likely would build some kind of an all in one trailer containing the sluice or trommel setup and a portable pump with sufficient hoses. I do not know yet if that is the right way to go, but it likely would cur done on the setup time and so forth. (Any tips on this from you folks are welcome). No Tip is bad. Heck even remarks saying that is an awfull Idea would be taken into consideration. As I am used trucking in and out my water (an AZ thing), I would even be OK looking at claims that need that in ALASKA (higher up perhaps, or not along water).

This is our start of looking into this. We are OK with rent around $2500/month. We would need a fenced yard, (as we have some dogs). And of course storage place for our gear.  Besides that another hobby of mine is skydiving, so if there is a skydive place in the area that definitely is a plus.

So here it is. I really hope t hear from some of you. Who knows a friendship may come from this. 

Have a wonderful day, and may the bottom of your pan turn yellow.

Jean-Luc Lejoly

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum!

There are a lot of resources here about prospecting and mining in Alaska.

Gold Prospecting Research Material for Alaska

Most Alaskans here can be found on the Gold Panning, Sluicing, Dredging, Drywashing, Etc Forum

I have lots of Alaska tales at Steve's Journal

As far as living goes Anchorage is not much different than other towns its size in the U.S. Just about every store found in Reno is also found in Anchorage, and prices are not all that different.

Jean, Welcome from Idaho! ? Ig

Welcome to forum, I know they do a bit of Skydiving out of Palmer AK. Good Luck !!!

Welcome! I have no tips on Alaska I’m afraid, but your plan sounds adventurous and fun, and you sound like you and your wife are pretty capable and have some good experience! I hope you continue to share your adventures with us!!! ?